Top 14 Results and Top 10 Week

We said goodbye to Janelle, Dareian, Amelia, and Matthew.

On Wednesday night, SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE paid tribute to Emmy Award winner Mia Michaels, with the seven couples performing a selection of her greatest SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE routines. The Top 14 also performed an all-new group routine choreographed by Michaels

After America’s vote was revealed, Matthew Kazmierczak, Dareian Kujawa, George Lawrence II, Lindsay Arnold, Janelle Issis and Amelia Lowe were the three guys and three girls who received the fewest votes. After deliberating, the judges – Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy and guest judges Michael Nunn and Billy Trevitt (the Ballet Boyz) – saved Lindsay Arnold and George Lawrence II from elimination. Therefore, Matthew Kazmierczak, Dareian Kujawa, Janelle Issis and Amelia Lowe were sent home.

It was also announced that fans can see the Top 10 finalists on tour this fall. The tour kicks off in San Diego, CA, Tuesday, Oct. 23 and tickets go on sale Friday, Aug. 24.  More details can be found here.

Next week, on Wednesday, Aug. 22 at 8/7c, the competition continues on another two-hour show, when the Top 10 finalists – Lindsay Arnold, Witney Carson, Audrey Case, Eliana Girard, Cole Horibe, George Lawrence II, Tiffany Maher, Cyrus Spencer, Will Thomas and Chehon Wespi-Tschopp – will be paired up with All-Star partners. Additionally, French ballet dancer and choreographer Benjamin Millepied, who is best known for starring in and choreographing “Black Swan,” will guest-judge and the L.A. Dance Project will perform a special routine.

Get info about the tour!

Comments

20 comments on “Top 14 Results and Top 10 Week“

1. Alice - wrote:

I was seriously looking forward to seeing Dareian on tour :(

8/16/2012 11:48 AM UTC

2. Cindy - wrote:

I HATE this format. One night of dancing is not enough. I miss the results show featuring other dancers and singers. Maybe the ratings warranted this cut in shows but surely FOX could support this show mor in the name of culture. I am sure that your viewers are some of the most passionate viewers. What would it take to return the shows to the original format. Tell your viewers. We love this show.

8/16/2012 12:36 PM UTC

3. Sally Neary - wrote:

Nigel et al:

This week was awful. The theme should have been, “Sorry kids but you just didn’t measure up to the original.” It was so unfair to put these dancers in an untenable situation, and shame on Nigel for grilling dancers on the stories that inspired the routines. Just mean! I have watched almost every episode and this one had me booing the screen.

8/16/2012 1:38 PM UTC

4. Shelley - wrote:

I love this show. But I did not like the Mia Michaels tribute. Please.. never again.
    Amelia shouldn’t have been voted off. Sad.

8/16/2012 2:55 PM UTC

5. Marie - wrote:

I was very disappointed in this weeks show. In my opinion Janelle and dariean should have done the “butt” dance. She would have been flirty and with her expierence as a belly dancer it would have been great. Amelia should not of gone home either! What a great talent. It was a sad week, the judges were very critical of the kids. The challenge of repeating the best dances was the worst idea ever!!! I hope they don’t do this again. Please bring the girls and Dareian back.

8/17/2012 7:23 AM UTC

6. Kenneth Hughes - wrote:

Please don’t ever do this again! 7 contemporary routines is boring. Humiliating contestants by forcing them into old routines and then criticizing them for not measuring up is unfair. The ballet boys brought absolutely nothing to the table. Mia Michaels is a terrific choreographer, but these are new contestants and deserved to have new material. I found the whole episode disrespectful to the 14 talented dancers in the competition.

8/17/2012 11:31 AM UTC

7. Serena - wrote:

This season’s format is tragic. FOX, give SYTYCD back a results episode. Live voting does not work on one night a week! Grossly unfair to this season’s dancers. Having performances not able to be voted on, partners getting votes (or not) based on performances with a kicked off dancer, just doesn’t make any sense. I would not be surprised if ratings plummet, which should not be a reflection on interest in this show, but rather a hatred of this horrible format. If the show can only have 2 hours/week then give us a 90 minute performance episode and a 30 minute results episode. I have loved this show since season 1 and can barely bring myself to watch what’s being done to this season. My heart goes out to these incredibly talented and hard working dancers.

8/17/2012 12:06 PM UTC

8. Robin - wrote:

HATED this week’s show! It was so unfair to make these dancers try to recreate the most iconic routines from seasons past. Nigel was a bore – especially when he went on about Randi’s(?) ass. So sad that Amelia was not saved.

8/18/2012 5:27 AM UTC

9. Dancemom - wrote:

Amelia did a very nice job and I am sure she’ll get some commercial interest for her talent.

We remember Amelia as a younger dancer at a school with our daughers. She is more lovely with her natural brown hair and less make-up but the artsy 40′s look is interesting.

I was surprised that Amelia was not saved but the better dancers are not necessarily kept. The producers are making a reality show.

Good luck, Amelia!

8/18/2012 9:44 AM UTC

10. Nancy - wrote:

I echo all of the above. SYTYCD is practically a religion in our household and we have joyfully watched since season one. Not once have we been angry with an episode, *until* this past week. Most of these very talented dancers faltered under the ill-conceived format for the episode, and it also back-fired, in my opinion, as a tribute to Mia Michaels’s wonderful choreography. Very sad and frustrating. It was not the dancers’ fault. As for this season’s overall format, if Fox is now chipping away at one of the best shows to ever hit TV (a show responsible, in no small part, for the resurgence of dance in this country) then I would rather see SYTYCD come to an end, than be reduced to a tawdry shadow of itself.

8/19/2012 4:07 PM UTC

11. Sarah - wrote:

Losing Patience FAST…. I used to get so excited about watching this show- now out of respect for dance I get around to watching when I can. The dancers picked all seem so young and have not felt all the feelings trying to be put on them. Also PLEASE pick some more masculine MEN!! I love dance BC of the escape into these stories- and these boys don’t do it for me… I am all for whatever lifestyle you chose but I now feel like its hurting the show to push so much gay into it! I want strong men that take care of their women- not boys running around at recess chasing girls (or boys)… Bring back men like Twitch, Neil, Joshua, Adae Gev Robert and women with age and heart – you are going to loose all the straight ppl out there if we keep this up and that’s a shame bc I have loved this show until this season! Hopefully Nigel reads these!!!!

8/19/2012 4:55 PM UTC

12. Walker7 - wrote:

Once again, another excruciating double elimination has been done. But, for Amelia, Janelle, Dareian, and Matthew, I wish them the best of luck in the future.

I still miss Alexa. Again, this week seemed less interesting without her. It seems we didn’t get to see enough of her during the live shows. I mean, she didn’t have a chance to do a solo, nor did we get to see any performances that were in her comfort zone, nor did we get a see a video of her journey on the show when she was eliminated. That doesn’t seem right. Then again, this season’s format is quite inferior.

But the best thing is that, now that we are down to the Top 10, it’s time for the All-Stars! Some All-Stars that would be great are Kathryn, Chelsie, Mark, Jaimie, Janette, Pasha, and many others.

I always look forward to seeing the All-Stars. I also wish the Top 10 the best of luck next week. Hopefully, we’ll see a mind-blowing performance or several.

8/20/2012 7:28 AM UTC

13. Roxy - wrote:

We too hated the format last week. It’s unfortunate it’s a double elimination each week. Our pet peeve is the show is becoming about who is America’s “favorite” dancer and not who it the “best” dancer as it’s been in the past. When did it become about personality over talent? How many more routines can they dummy down for Cyrus? It’s unfair to throw challenging routines at the other dancers because they have more training, talent, and experience. He needs to be able to perform the routines like everyone else or go home. I feel like we’ve been unable to see how talented his partner really is or she’s had to make him look him good. Guess it makes better reality tv.

8/22/2012 9:40 AM UTC

14. BobbynSuzi - wrote:

How is Cirus still in this, who is voting for him. There is noway that he is anywhere as good as the other dancers. This is a total let down of the show.

8/22/2012 5:40 PM UTC

15. SeaMom - wrote:

Agree with above – do not like this new format at all! How is it that judges that did not see the dance voters voted on are part of picking who stays and leaves. Voting 4 off twice in the season is horrible. The disconnect with the audience votes on prior weeks dance mixed with the judges voting heavily on this week is confusing and unfair. Make a 90 minute show with a 30minute results a day or two later. Loved Cole tonight but most of rest were hard with all the comparisons to prior dancers.

8/22/2012 8:53 PM UTC

16. Carrie - wrote:

Cyrus is better than George?? Really Nigel?? I like Cyrus, but I thought he would be long gone by now. This is SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE! No SO YOU THINK YOU CAN EMOT! How can you keep giving Cyrus the pass card while kicking off much better dancers??? Come on people!!

8/22/2012 11:01 PM UTC

17. JC - wrote:

The show’s blatant pushing of Cyrus, despite his clear lack of anything resembling dance technique or basic fluidity, seriously threatens the judges’ credibility. Using lovely female dancers, like last night’s Jamie, to mask Cyrus’s ineptness, is a trick that only proves the choreographers have also been instructed to shield us from his gargantuan flaws. How dare you criticize George’s feet—or anyone else’s for that matter—then let Cyrus slide week after week with unearned praise? It’s nauseating to watch and you need to get a grip on yourselves before we suspect there’s something else behind your fawning.

8/23/2012 7:21 AM UTC

18. Prisca - wrote:

I did not like having the dancers perform old dances and then criticize them for not being like the original dancers that the pieces were specifically tailored to. It was unfair. I enjoy Mia’s work, but the comparison factor was too much.

I was also so sad to see Amelia Lowe go home! She deserved to be in the top 10. :(

8/23/2012 10:18 PM UTC

19. Tina - wrote:

Nigel just made me see his true side….He will not vote for sirus because he did not or could not pay for classical training.
    But will vote for kiann even though he could not dance as well, because he could afford to take classes. That is the most arogant comment that could be made on TV. So he is saying you should not make it if your poor.

9/11/2012 9:12 PM UTC

20. Pam - wrote:

I have watched the show faithfully since season 1 and like many of the comments hated this season’s format. They keep changing it. It used to be my favorite show. My thought is “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. They don’t promote this show as much as America’s Got Talent, The Voice, American Idol, and most of all Dancing with the Stars which personally I don’t enjoy as much. All these shows are one 2-3 times a week. Why did they decide to only have 1 episode a week for SYTYCD this year? Bad choice!!!! They are taking a good show an ruining it. I am a big fan, but I am afraid that the rating will drop and they will cancel this show. The ratings have never been as big as Dancing with the Stars and that is the lack of promotion. This season I was not invested in the dancers as much as past seasons because of only seeing it once a week. And the weeks where they rushed and voted 4 dancer’s off because of 3 weeks where they didn’t have the show at all due to the holiday, and some other reason when they weren’t on for 2 weeks. It’s sickening!!!!! Change it back and promote it, hopefully the show can be saved.

9/15/2012 8:41 AM UTC