SEASON PREMIERE
WED 8/7c MAY 28

Top 16 Results and Top 14 Week

We said goodbye to Brandon and Amber.

Last night on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, the eight couples performed again with brand-new routines. After America’s vote was revealed, Dareian Kujawa, George Lawrence II, Brandon Mitchell, Lindsay Arnold, Eliana Girard and Amber Jackson were the three guys and three girls who received the fewest votes.

After deliberating, the judges – Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy and guest judge Christina Applegate – saved two guys and two girls – Dareian Kujawa, George Lawrence II, Lindsay Arnold and Eliana Girard – from elimination, and therefore Brandon Mitchell and Amber Jackson were sent home. In addition, the show featured a spectacular performance by Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater’s male stars (Glenn Allen Sims, Kirven James Boyd, Antonio Douthit, Jamar Roberts, Yannick Lebrun and Jermaine Terry) who performed an excerpt of new Artistic Director Robert Battle’s dynamic piece “The Hunt.”

Lythgoe also reminded viewers that the third annual National Dance Day will take place on Saturday, July 28, the same day as The Dizzy Feet Foundation’s second annual Celebration of Dance gala at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles. For more information, click here.

In two weeks, on Wednesday, August 15 at 8/7c, the competition continues on another two hour live show, when the Top 14 finalists: Lindsay Arnold and Cole Horibe; Witney Carson and Chehon Wespi-Tschopp; Audrey Case and Matthew Kazmierczak; Eliana Girard and Cyrus Spencer; Janelle Issis and Dareian Kujawa; Amelia Lowe and Will Thomas; and Tiffany Maher and George Lawrence II – compete once again for America and the judges. Also, the Top 14 will dance some of Mia Michaels’ greatest routines, with each couple performing a favorite Michaels-choreographed dance from past seasons. Additionally, choreographers Michael Nunn and Billy Trevitt – otherwise known as the Ballet Boyz – will join the panel as guest judges.

View photos from the Top 16 show.

Comments

25 comments on “Top 16 Results and Top 14 Week“

1. almorgan - wrote:

I DO NOT like this new format, I’ve been watching since season 1, this is one of my favorite shows. However, I think you need to go back to dancing one night, then eliminating the dancers the next night (basing it on a performance ONE WHOLE week before). It just seems so unfair to let them dance, they do such a great job and the judges rave about their performance only to be eliminated the SAME night that they did such a great job (also because the judges know how the voting went, they allow that to help sway their decision also). And its unfair to those who are trying to vote for their favorite dancers, they watch them do such great but then they are eliminated the same night, I was in total shock last night. I JUST DON’T LIKE IT. Please pass along my sentiments to the producers.

7/26/2012 10:00 AM UTC

2. Walker7 - wrote:

This week was still good, but the lack of Alexa in the competition made this week somewhat disappointing. It left a large hole in this week’s show. It still hurts that she isn’t there anymore. In my opinion, her elimination is worse than all the previous seasons’ shocking eliminations combined (such as Allison in Season 2 and Janette in Season 5).

I do agree with Nigel’s comments last night. Amber’s elimination this week was painful, because had the results been based on this week’s votes instead of last week’s votes, she wouldn’t have been in danger.

I realize that there was a drop in ratings, but still, whatever happens, please don’t cancel this show. There is always room for improvement from one season to the next.

Amber and Brandon did great in their performance. I wish them the best of luck, whatever the future may bring.

I’ll be watching again in two weeks. But for now, bring on the gold!

7/26/2012 11:48 AM UTC

3. Ann Smith - wrote:

I have to say that I was not sure if I would like the new format of the show this year. Surprise I do but, I really miss seeing the dancers dance in their own style. Anybody else?

7/26/2012 4:53 PM UTC

4. Ms. Butcher - wrote:

I completely disagree with the decision to let Amber go this week. She is an amazing dancer and I loved watching her dance each week. She will totally be missed! Amber stepped up (and over) the plate the last two weeks and i”m total confused about the decision to let her go. I hope this is not another repeat of two seasons ago when the judges came back the next week and publicly announced that they regretted the decision made the previous evening.
    Fast forward. .. .the first girl that was saved is not that great and could have went home.

7/26/2012 5:29 PM UTC

5. Ktk - wrote:

I agree that Amber should have been saved. I was shocked of judges pick to save Lindsey she is average compared to Amber. I’ve been a fan since season one and this season has been a bummer for me. I like the variety of dance styles that are being showcase, however I’m confused as to how the ballet ppl will get to show their style. Many blessings to Amber, I pray she gets picked up by a dance troupe.

7/28/2012 3:49 AM UTC

6. Kat - wrote:

I not sure why they let Amber go… maybe b/c she not a true blond with blue eyes.

Like american idol, its not about the talent, it’s based on looks and appeal. Also you have to look at the demographic of the people who watches these shows. Amber was one of the top 3 dancers on the show. The Concept of the show is nice but not fair on so many levels.

7/28/2012 5:37 PM UTC

7. Susan - wrote:

I do not like this new format. Why did it have to change. If someone does bad the previous week and then does good this week, how is that judged? Go back to the old voting format, it was much easier and made more sense.

7/28/2012 6:40 PM UTC

8. Roslyn Williams - wrote:

I am very disappointed in the elimination of Amber. She was an amazing dancer and one of your best. It also was very cruel to eliminated her after just doing the best dance ever. Im also mad at the elimation of Brandon. I will not watch the rest of this season. Shame on you judges for your decision!!!!!!!

7/29/2012 1:30 PM UTC

9. Long time fan - wrote:

Simply put, I miss the old format! Like almorgan said the new system does not work.

7/29/2012 6:53 PM UTC

10. Shannon - wrote:

I don’t prefer this new format either. If the ratings for this show are so great then why do you only get one night a week versus the two nights previous years. It makes the season so much shorter. It’s not long enough. Change the format back.

7/30/2012 11:55 AM UTC

11. Carol-Anne - wrote:

I was sorry to see Amber go also. But somebody has too. I haven’t been impressed with Lindsey. BUT, her performance in White Horses was AMAZING. I agree that she has room to grow. But I’m sorry I won’t see more of Amber. I am sad at the diminishing of the SYTUCD. When Canada’s was cancelled I was upset. I thought the quality of the dancers was better, but then I’m Canadian. The host was WAY worse, and lots of people told me they didn’t want to watch because of her. I love KAT. I’m good with the new format as I often missed the results show. I also wish that we saw their own styles highlighted more. I could do with no guest dancers. I’m watching for the contestants. I also wish I could download previous shows I missed…like Vegas week. My internet is too slow for video streaming. Note that the more we watch and get involved the more invested in the show we will be! I hope fox continues next year…as USA is now my only fix!

7/31/2012 1:41 PM UTC

12. Shasha - wrote:

I totally disagree with letting Amber go! She is one of the strongest dancers – controlled, precise, passionate, inventive. I had her pegged for a finalist. I think she gets fewer votes because of her race and that letting her go was equally race-biased. Sad. I’m not sure I’ll watch this program again.

7/31/2012 2:45 PM UTC

13. Sharla - wrote:

Why is the show not running for two weeks?

8/1/2012 5:11 PM UTC

14. Sherie - wrote:

If what I say will mean anything to you…I like Lindsay and SYTYCD is my favorite show on FOX. Cutting it down to one night a week just means I’ll be watching FOX one less night a week. But if it works better for the judges, I’m OK with it.
    I’ve seen my favorite dancers get eliminated before, too, but I understand it’s a competition, so…
    Keep the show and I’ll watch it every week!

8/1/2012 5:52 PM UTC

15. Michael - wrote:

Why is So you think you can dance a repeat tonight?

8/1/2012 9:00 PM UTC

16. KC - wrote:

Thank goodness I read this today. I was so upset that my DVR didnt record last night.. BUT I didn’t miss anything!!! YAY :-) Can’t wait for August 15th!! I think (hope) Eliana goes all the way!!

8/2/2012 6:09 AM UTC

17. Jomaria - wrote:

I’m from Brasil and watch this program since season 3, I love it! But this format is a little bit unfair…. for example Witney and Chehon made the incredible routine and the same night they went to the bottom three… I know that they based from the last week votes but it’s a shock! Amber and Brandon did so well last week and then they were cutted!!!! For me, she and Eliana are the most talent dancer this season!!!! But I still love this show!!!!

8/2/2012 7:43 AM UTC

18. Tanya - wrote:

I am glad that Amber is gone. I did not like her at all. So far for me the guys are ruling the competition and I have not been able to pick a favorite girl. This new format works for me an I am glad that the people who get voted off have another chance to show America how good they are.

8/3/2012 12:06 PM UTC

19. BJR - wrote:

Here’s my suggestion for a format. Why not have the viewers vote each week but keep the results secret for the first five weeks? The votes could accrue over those five weeks and the ten dancers with the lowest total votes over that time would then be cut. This would give all twenty dancers greater exposure overall and allow the viewers to evaluate them in several different dance styles. Please pass this suggestion along to the producers.

8/6/2012 2:27 PM UTC

20. Skye - wrote:

I don’t own a TV and don’t intend to buy one and sign up for cable just to watch SYTYCD. It REALLY sucks that the system doesn’t allow an option for Internet or HULU viewers. Can’t even watch the continuing episodes a month later now. And yes, the change to one program a week is an unfortunate mistake.

8/7/2012 10:21 PM UTC

21. Bill - wrote:

This year’s format is crazy and I’m having a difficult time enjoying the show having watched every episode since the very first.

First, I’m at a loss to figure out when the show is actually being broadcast. Different guides list different episodes. Last week, my DVR recorded a repeat as new. Nothing was recorded this week. Was a new episode broadcast? Some guides say yes, others don’t say anything.

This blog seems to imply that the Top 14 episode will be broadcast on 15 Aug. Is this correct?

Also, these are some of the best dancers that have ever danced and they are getting no time to have a bad night. I don’t understand how how you are supposed to vote for someone who had a great night but may already have been cut.

My best guess is that there was some uncomfortable compromising in the executive offices and this format was the best of a lot of bad options. Too bad! One of the really great and culturally significant shows on television and it’s being hacked to death.

8/9/2012 12:10 AM UTC

22. coco - wrote:

i too think this is a terrible format of the show. the fact that the judges know in advance who is going to be cut just doesn’t seem fair and their comments are not based solely on the dancers performance. i hope next year they will change it.

8/13/2012 12:02 PM UTC

23. RICHARD - wrote:

i think this new format is stupid and i cannot understand why they tell us to call in for the 4 contestens that were voted off aug 15 please go back and janelle was better than lindsy.

8/15/2012 10:22 PM UTC

24. RoRo in SoFla - wrote:

SYTYCD is one of the few reality shows that I watch on TV. I have defended it and talked it up to most of my friends. I liked the format and setup of previous seasons.

This season has been a disaster.

I don’t know what is happening behind the scenes between the producers of the show and Fox, but this format is completely unfair.

As others have noted, the judges know who will be in the bottom three during the show and the unlucky kids have to dance anyways. As a viewer of the show, I don’t know those unlucky ones are until the end of the show. When it comes time to vote the routine and dancers that I like may not even be there! WTF?

How about you get rid of the dancers at the beginning of the show to eliminate the confusion.

When a kid performs great they may still get cut, like what happened to Amber.

Last night’s show honoring Mia Michaels was tremendously unfair to all contestants involved. Nothing ever compares to the original and it was unfair to judge those kids based on their fond memories of past performances.

I thought last nights show was a waste, I’ve seen all of those routines before, and while Iiked most of them, I didn’t need to see them again.

The show had two weeks off and this is the best they could come-up with?

I’m very disappointed.

8/16/2012 5:42 AM UTC

25. mega77 - wrote:

TOO MANY CAMERA ANGLES!!!! Its hard to follow the dancing! By the time you’ve adjusted to 1 camera angle they are off to another. Its ridiculous. I also don’t like the new format of elimination. Very disappointed in the show this year :-(

8/29/2012 8:39 PM UTC