ALL NEW / **TWO-HOUR EPISODE**
WED 8/7c AUG 20

We Have a Winner!

Season 8 Winner Melanie Moore

Melanie Moore is America's Favorite Dancer!

The eighth season of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE came to an exciting conclusion tonight as Melanie Moore, 19, a Contemporary dancer from Marietta, GA, was named America’s Favorite Dancer and awarded a cash prize of $250,000. She will be featured on the cover of Dance Spirit magazine, and will be recognized as a Gatorade athlete on gatorade.com and in the new G Series FIT print campaign.

Fans are invited to cast their vote for their favorite G Series FIT ad in which Moore will appear. Voting is open now at http://www.fox.com/dance/gatorade/voting/, and will conclude on August 24. The ad with the most votes will be featured in the November issue of Dance Spirit magazine.

Fellow finalists – Tadd Gadduang, Marko Germar and Sasha Mallory – were eliminated as host Cat Deeley revealed the voting results.

Melanie had this to say about winning SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE: “Winning means the world to me. It is such a major stepping stone, and I have learned so much through this experience. I have so much more to learn, and I have decided that I want to go back to school for dance. Winning this competition not only started me on that path, but also made my mom and dad so proud. Thank you to the fans who supported me on this journey. It means so much to me that I was able to move people in the same way that dance moves me.”

In addition to crowning America’s Favorite Dancer, the Season Eight finale of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE featured performances by this season’s Top 20 dancers. The celebration showcased the favorite routines of judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy – as well as those of guest judges Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Robin Antin, Lil’ C, Tyce Diorio and Sonya Tayeh – and a performance by “So You Think You Can Dance” U.K. winner Matt Flint.

This season’s Top 10 dancers will participate in the 32-city SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE Tour 2011. The tour kicks off Saturday, Sept. 17 in Orlando, FL, and tickets are on sale now. Click here for more information.

SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE was created by Simon Fuller and Nigel Lythgoe and comes from 19 Entertainment Ltd. and dick clark productions. The series is executive-produced by Fuller, Lythgoe and Barry Adelman. Become a fan of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE on Facebook at www.facebook.com/soyouthinkyoucandance and follow the series on Twitter at @danceonfox.

>>Vote for Melanie’s Gatorade ad.
>>View photos from the Season 8 finale.

Comments

16 comments on “We Have a Winner!“

1. Alyssa - wrote:

I am so excited to see Melanie win. I have enjoyed her beautiful dancing throughout the competition. It was a well deserved win for Melanie, congrats! I do think Fox did make a mistake by not letting Sasha say anything at the end of the show.
    I can’t wait to hear what is next for all the dancers of season 8. They were fabulous!!

8/12/2011 11:06 AM UTC

2. Sandy - wrote:

Although she is a lovely dancer, it seems that she was very lucky that the Disco number came last and very lucky she didn’t have to dance any fast and sexy Latin dances. Not my choice at all!

8/12/2011 11:09 AM UTC

3. gs - wrote:

Congratulations Melanie. Just as we predicted. But Sasha would have been a great winner also. She is a winner anyway.
    I have to disagree about the guest judges. !. Neil Patrick…the least offensive. 2. na..there is no number two.

The rest just seemed kind of silly. Gaga the worst. Holmes a close second. she has about as much appeal as a turnip.
    Debbie Reynolds is cute. Lil’ C talks to much and says nothing…just likes to hear himself jabber. I just remembered Adam Schankman? where was he this year…????? that’s who was missing!!!!
    would like to see more variety of styles and more recognizable classics. less contemporary. Things are getting a bit over done so best change it up if the show is going to continue to garner public attention.

8/12/2011 11:27 AM UTC

4. Kay Oliver - wrote:

I am apalled at Nigel Lythgoe’s rude and insensitive comment to the guys on the night of the dance finals. After all of Tadd and Marko’s brilliant efforts throughout the season, to pass them off so easily with such a negative comment at the time they should be enjoying their culminating night of sucess shows how arrogant and superior Lythgoe thinks he is. His uncalled for comment that the boys had not done enough and would not win will make me never watch this show again. He should be ashamed. We don’t care about his opinion AT ALL. It’s about how America feels about the dancers, not how he feels about them. His apology was a lame joke. Too little too late. He and the rest of the judges should keep their opinions on who will win and who is their favorite to themselves. Shame on him.

8/12/2011 12:50 PM UTC

5. Diane Thompson - wrote:

I think there is a flaw in the finale format. I think dancers should dance the same routines to be truly judged equally. We all know that some dances are incredibly choreographed where a dancer can shine. Others are just ok and a dancer may dance perfectly but it just doesn’t have the same impact.

8/12/2011 1:29 PM UTC

6. Jeff Goldman - wrote:

As redundant as this may sound how can the dancers be judged equally if they don’t dance the same style. The dancers should compete for several weeks doing different styles before the elimination takes place. Then we would know who really are the best dancers.

8/13/2011 10:35 AM UTC

7. Louise Watson - wrote:

I really would have liked to see Sasha win. Yes Mel is a lovely dancer but lucky with what she got on finale night. I am a bit tired of seeing 3 white contemporary female dancers win 3 years now in a row!!!

8/13/2011 12:59 PM UTC

8. Mary W - wrote:

Sasha was my choice. She is amazing. Melanie was too but she doesn’t seem to have the depth of personality that Sasha has. Too many cutesy smiles from Melanie. I hope Sasha goes far because she is recognized by people who can help her for the talent she is.

8/13/2011 1:53 PM UTC

9. Patty T - wrote:

I would like to note that Katie Holmes looked aweful on the final dance nice. She looks anorexic. Her hair was a mess and the outfit she had on made her look like she just came back from shopping at Kmart! With all the money that girl has, she could have dressed up for the occasion and dressed herself up like everyone else did. She had no business being on the pannel that night and struggled to give her input about the dances that those kids worked so hard to do. She pretty much was a waste of time to listen to. I hope the show doesn’t make that same mistake next year and if they chose her again, I hope she find something better to wear and get her hair and makeup done professionally. “Kaite, get with the program!”

8/13/2011 7:38 PM UTC

10. Rosco's Room - wrote:

Just watch the season finale (performance night) that was on DVR. I LOVE sytycd and have watched every season- and I love the contestants this season as well. BUT I have to be honest here, that was the worst set of final dances I have ever seen. I mean what a disappointment. AND Katie Holmes was quite annoying that she LOVED every dance and how wonderful they were. NO it they weren’t, it was a terrible way to end a season! And with such fantastic dancers, what a shame! I think the only number I liked was Stacey Tookie (kudos to you). Sorry but next season, the choreographers have to step it up a notch for the finale- otherwise sadly viewers will be lost. Hope the producers read this and really take it into consideration. And to the dancers (all of you), you are amazing and work really hard and it shows (even if it is the luck of the picks)!

8/15/2011 5:47 AM UTC

11. Mrs. S. - wrote:

I am in my 50′s and I love all the dance shows, this one being my favorite from the start. Just like a lot of successful shows once you get the people watching you change it up? I liked how the original shows started with the choreographers rotating the judging. I was glad to see Little C back to add a little “color” figuratively and literally. I like Sonja, Tyce, and Debbie Allen, they judge with expertise and heart. I agree with a previous comment that Mr. Nigel should keep his predictions to himself. If they want to spot their favorite all season long then don’t have the people vote! I think it was very rude of Nigel to say more than once “Sasha was his favorite dancer” and 2 minutes later say Melanie”. Its already hard enough on the dancers to stand there and take every rude comment with a smile and then work together or room together later. Also I was appalled at Kat for gushing over Melanie every time, we knew her pick, and practically hammering a job out of Kenny Ortega for Melanie! That was so unfair to the rest of the dancers! I love the top 20 format and then bringing in the pro’s from the past. Stick with the program, add diversity in the judges, keep diversity in the dancers and stop shoving your favorites down our throat! That makes us love to hate them and it seems fixed at the end. Oh and I think without all the kudos to Melanie week after week that Sasha would have won. She had the harder routines, and she rocked them all except one. One more thing stop blaming the dancers for the choreographers mistakes, and lets add a few more maturer dancers, quite a few in their teens.. Thank you…still a fan.

8/15/2011 4:24 PM UTC

12. nadine - wrote:

congrats melanie i knew you would win. i think you and tad would be awesome choices for dirty dancing remake.

8/15/2011 5:49 PM UTC

13. myrna - wrote:

Die hard since 1st season.Congratulations to Melanie, she’s an awesome dancer! Having said that,I think Nigel is a great producer,but he’s messing up the show by making things look pre-arranged; ha has done everything in his powerto make Sasha look bad and unworthy and that was unforgivable.Also,if the producers are taking notes,somebody should have the courage to tell the choreogaphers with flat routines that they did not deliver.We cannot expect miracles from the kids wheh they were given lousy choreograpy.And a fair suggestion would be, for the four (4) remaining dancers in the finale, to perform the same two (2) differents routines of two different styles with four all-star partners, chosen randomly ,and of couse a pairing of the finalists in two routines and four (4) solos performances.That would be for sure justice! Please no more Katie Holmes PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

8/16/2011 8:12 PM UTC

14. Kat - wrote:

The whole season was about making Melanie & SASHA look good. Nigel only had praise for Sasha. Of her 4 routines, 2 weren’t that great and who did he blame…. the two different boys she danced with?! Sasha was the common denominator there! Thinking back on the routines I liked through out the season, they were dances that either Tadd, Marco or Caitlynn in them!!!

8/16/2011 10:53 PM UTC

15. RDean - wrote:

The top 4 this year were amazing! MELANIE YOU ARE A BEAST AND I THOUGHT YOU WERE BRILLIANT THE ENTIRE SEASON!!!

SIDE NOTE: For the finale I AM NOT HAPPY that you did not select any favorite routines that highlighted TAD, other than group routines. He had some amazing moments; EXAMPLE the quirky cool routine w/ Jordan that was kind of dark and twisted…I LOVED THAT ROUTINE and he was AMAZING in it!

I found it a bit rude!!! TAD YOUR ROCK!!!

8/17/2011 7:22 PM UTC

16. Erin - wrote:

I do not agree with Melanie winning.. Sasha is sooo much better than her.. i dont think she should have one.. She might have a few more dance moves, and a great smile, but Sasha actually puts a story in her dancing.. She breaks peoples hearts… She actually dances so people can relate to her.. Sasha if you are reading this, I hope someone noticed you and you get an awesome dance career because I think you were the best person on this show ever..Also, I think the Judges need to tell the truth to some of the choreographers.. some of there dances are plain terrible.. and the judges blame the dancers, how do u do a great routine, if you are given terrible choreography.. So judges please tell the choreographers when you dont like the routines, not the contestants, and be as strict as you do to the dancers, you guys act like your afraid of them.. Also Nigel, you should be kicked off the show, All you did the whole show was say “I like Sasha!! I like Melanie blah bla-blah bla-blah.”.. you don’t need to do all that.. and definetly you do not say ” I think either Melanie or Sasha is going to win this season”.. What in the world is ur problem!! and when you apologized, I bet u didn’t even mean it!! what is your problem!! I am really disappointed with this season.. really.. But i think the best routine was With Sasha And Twitch.. omg that was sooo good.. kudos to you 2… but season 9 and up, when you guys get to the top like 6 ,you should make everyone do the same dance once, because , like Melanie probably won because she had better routines and choreographers, they should have a equal opportunity to get votes and do the same piece.. Also please have less contemporary, it is too much and its annoying..

I do not know if i am going to keep watching the show.. Dont be surprised if you lose a couple THOUSAND viewers.. :)

8/23/2011 4:54 PM UTC