WED 8/7c AUG 6

Top 10 Elimination Results

Clarice and Mitchell are eliminated

Finalists Clarice Ordaz, 19, a Jazz dancer from Whittier, CA; and Mitchell Kelly, 20, a Contemporary dancer from Chicago, IL, were eliminated tonight on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE.

(Read the full recap.)

Last night, the Top 10 performed with the SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE All-Stars for the first time. Tonight, Cat Deeley announced that the four finalists who received the fewest of America’s votes were Jordan Casanova, Ricky Jaime, Mitchell Kelly and Clarice Ordaz. Then, judges Nigel Lythgoe, Mary Murphy and guest judge Neil Patrick Harris revealed that Ordaz and Kelly would be going home.

The competition continues next week when the Top 8 finalists – Jordan Casanova, Tadd Gadduang, Marko Germar, Ricky Jaime, Caitlynn Lawson, Jess LeProtto, Sasha Mallory and Melanie Moore – compete on a two-hour, live performance show airing Wednesday, July 27 (8:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed) on FOX.

Next week’s guest judges will be global pop icon Lady Gaga and multi-award-winning director and choreographer Rob Marshall, and the All-Star Partners making a return to the SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE stage will be Lauren Froderman, Anya Garnis, Jaimie Goodwin, Lauren Gottlieb, Neil Haskell, Ivan Koumaev, Pasha Kovalev and Ade Obayomi.

Tune in the following night, Thursday, July 28 (8:00-9:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed), for special performances by Lady Gaga and dance group LXD.

Comments

37 comments on “Top 10 Elimination Results“

1. hal kaplan - wrote:

mary murphy must go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    she is destroying what used to be a great show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    either she goes or the audience will !!!!!!!!

7/22/2011 5:45 PM UTC

2. Billy - wrote:

Again Bollywood has got someone eliminated…
    everyone looooooves these touching crying emotional
    contemporary….if you pull contemp. your in period…
    they must start designating styles so you dont get jazz then contemporary…or you get bollywood then tango its not fare.

7/22/2011 7:36 PM UTC

3. Margie - wrote:

Please hire professional dancers as judges. Neil Patrick Harris may be amusing, but he is not a qualified judge of dancers-he is a fan. Objectivity is the fairest judge.

7/22/2011 9:21 PM UTC

4. Tom - wrote:

I was sad when Clarice got voted off. I hope she gets a big contract somewhere. I thought she was the best girl dancer. I think these realty shows are manipulated by producers and industry people who wheel and deal lives like commodities. The public vote has little to do with it. The owners put up a lot of smoke and mirrors to make it look like the public has a vote. Its all about money and power… bottom line. A very sad business to be in.

7/24/2011 9:37 AM UTC

5. Katrina - wrote:

I was also sad that Clarice got voted off. No offense to Jordan, for I think she’s a great dancer, but her solo’s are getting quite boring as it’s the same thing over and over; yes she’s got great leg extensions etc, but it would be nice to see something different; show off a different technique.

At least Clarice changed things up a bit in her last two solo’s. Clarice’s bollywood dance was awesome. She really shined on that piece. Clarice was starting to grow on me, and then got kicked off. :(

Jordan started off as my favorite, but to me, she’s going down hill. The other dancers have improved and stepped up their game; Jordan, not so much. In my opinion, Jordan only got to go on because Nygiel (sorry if the spelling is wrong) loves her. I don’t think she deserves to go on as much as Clarice does. Hate me as you will, but that is my opinion.

7/24/2011 3:03 PM UTC

6. Bear - wrote:

why are the judges still in control of who goes home ? Shouldn’t it be the dancer(s) with the lowest vote? and why is it still a boy and girl being let go? if its by votes, couldn’t it be 2 boys or 2 girls going home? Now I’m biased because I think that the girls really rock and that the top 2 at the end should be 2 girls..

7/24/2011 6:33 PM UTC

7. Linda - wrote:

Why do the judges keep pushing for Jordan to stay on when America has made it clear that they are tired of her? She has beautiful leg extensions, but all of the girls have that, and so much more to offer. I agree with Katrina, Jordan has only been on the show since the beginning because of Nigel.

7/25/2011 11:52 AM UTC

8. Mary - wrote:

I absolutely LOVE Mary Murphy. She IS a ballroom dancer, so she knows what she’s talking about! Plus, if you watched this show from the beginning then you know that she was a choreographer on sytycd!

I completely agreed with Chelsea’s exit. I did not agree with Ricky being in the bottom though! He was brilliant in his routine- it should have been Tadd.

7/25/2011 2:02 PM UTC

9. riley - wrote:

Will the all stars be on tour with the season 8 top 10? If not, I havent seen many memorable performances as in previous seasons to fill a 2 hour show??

7/25/2011 5:16 PM UTC

10. Chris - wrote:

I have noticed that you can predict who will be in the bottom and then eliminated merely by paying attention to what and how the judges have to say following a routine. They seem to set certain dancers up to receive fewer votes by saying negative things and then dump them at do or die time.. (Ryan comes to mind for this especially).. between Caitlyn and Clarice I think it should have been reversed… but I’m willing to bet next week Caitlyn goes.. and hopefully Jess. Ricky is like Robert and will go in the last cut. I think they are all fabulous… wish I could watch it live (no tv- watch it online days later).

7/26/2011 12:05 AM UTC

11. Diane - wrote:

How many people think Tadd as more dance experience than his little on. I think he may have studied different a little in dance styles and is pretending to be just a street dancer.

7/26/2011 6:11 AM UTC

12. Lolita - wrote:

Its nice to see so much ethnicity thrown into the mix such as Bollywood but it would be interesting for each of the dancers to showcase a dance from where they were born.

7/26/2011 5:06 PM UTC

13. gs - wrote:

was not surprised about Mitchel…Clarice maybe…the girls left now are all terrific so it will be difficult from now on…the guys are not as good….
    I am not so much for the “celebrity” judges…but I don’t think they
    have much say in the long run…Nigel and Mary know what they are talking about….I would like to see less emphasis on the
    choreographers….and contemp. type dance…more classic stuff…
    I don’t give a crap about the “story” really…less story and more classic…the dance should be recognizable yes?
    gs

7/27/2011 7:06 AM UTC

14. lilli - wrote:

Nigel, please suh! As producer of Dance & Idol, consider websites changes for both shows. I have wished to have known about guest performances BEFORE show begins. Yes, these are live performances and hectic to get executed, but both websites could benefit from someone capable of updating what is expected for that nights’ show. Perhaps by 1 hr ahead of air time??

Actually, both websites could benefit from some more capable editing. Guest dance videos would be great, wouln’t have to tape a 2 hr show for only 4 minute performance.

7/27/2011 8:47 AM UTC

15. scribble - wrote:

I love the show and think all the dancers this year are very talented. I do think Caitlyn should have gone home before Clarice, but was fine with Mitchell leaving. He’s a good dancer, but he always got on my nerves….don’t know why exactly!
    Question: Do they vote off two dancers every week or does it come down to one at a time at some point? For some reason, I thought it was a single person near the end.
    I’m sooo looking forward to seeing Lauren F. tonight. All wishes would be answered if I could see Kent dance again. Come on PTB! Bring him back!

7/27/2011 9:29 AM UTC

16. Redhead - wrote:

May we please see if some of the other dancers can handle different styles? For example: I am tired of seeing Shasha do nothing but contemp and hip hop. She may be “fierce” but can she Tango?

7/27/2011 10:44 AM UTC

17. Tamara - wrote:

Where is Sasha mallory?

7/27/2011 5:29 PM UTC

18. Simone - wrote:

As the season progresses and especially tonight Nigel’s comments are becoming more blatantly transparent. He is “fixing” this show. His comments are designed to maintain and keep his top dancers in the competition by attempting to influence the opinion of the American public. Are we so easily duped? Telling Ricky that his dancing was not good while not pointing out the same for Marco was shameful. Marco has no “swag” in this routine. Nigel predicts Ricky will be in the bottom next week…it’s so obvious what he is doing!!! GaGa was so right in saying that most of the hip hop routines from these watered-down choreographers are a travesty to style itself. And then another judge says he is so surprised that such technical dancers can be so good in this hip-hop routine. Great! First…I guess hip-hop does not require technique, Second, he just fell into an age old stereotype. I won’t say it but I think we all know which one it is. If you don’t know it just ask a friend who supposedly has swag. He or she will tell you that swag is technique!
    GaGa was a breath of fresh air when she criticized the songs, props, routines thereby implicating the lack of vision by some of the choreographers. It’s about time! The producers need to be careful because this show will slowly become a snooze fest. Nigel try to maintain some level of professionalism. Sonya always rocks!! She may be the last saving grace of the show.

7/27/2011 6:51 PM UTC

19. Treebie - wrote:

Whoever chose Lady Blah Blah to be a judge needs to be fired. Really what the hell does the freak know about dancing? Hey Lady it’s not about you. Shut up and go home

7/27/2011 7:41 PM UTC

20. Danielle - wrote:

Some of the choreography lacked difficulty tonight (not all of it), and I think those dancers will automatically be at a disadvantage. I LOVE the all stars, but other than that I do not like the recent changes to the show. KEEP Mary. Bring back the CHOREOGRAPHERS as guest judges, BUT LET AMERICA MAKE ALL THE DECISIONS FOR THE TOP TEN!

7/27/2011 8:29 PM UTC

21. SJ - wrote:

Lady Gaga was articulate, to my surprise, much more so that Mary and doogy houser. I hope she comes back as a judge. I’m not a fan of her music. She might not be a dance expert but she certainly has more than her fair share of knowing what the audience likes in a performance. Finally the boring / lazy choreographers are taking some of the blame for the poor performances. Thatll hip hop pair have 1 good routine per season and the rest, we I’ve seen done in hip hop 101 classes. They just add props to the routine. I’m glad ga ga called them out on it! About time the producers realized that they are punishing the good dancers when they assign them with inconsisitent choreographers.

7/27/2011 10:47 PM UTC

22. Tejay - wrote:

I am really sick of Nappy Tabs watered down Hip Hop. Please get some more hip hop choreographers. I know there are many. Find them PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/2011 7:25 AM UTC

23. Let - wrote:

I just watched the show and I must agree with Simone. Nigel’s comments almost always influences the voting public. Ricky was not that bad and I can’t see him in going, but Nigel has spoken. I love Mary’s comments. She’s very unbiased. With regards to Lady Gaga… It was definitely refreshing to hear something different. She was honest. And I am not a big fan of her music, let alone her style but she is intelligent. She amazed me with her comments. Very objective and true. I like that side of her.
    Sasha and Melanie are true artists and do it out of love for dance. Marco….flawless, soulful. Ricky brings the joy into this programme. No matter what, he just makes it worth watching every week. Warms my heart. Jordan’s first routine was a big improvement but then again like someone said earlier…is it all about leg extensions? Let’s see what America decides.

7/28/2011 7:36 AM UTC

24. Let - wrote:

I just watched the show and I must agree with Simone. Nigel’s comments almost always influence the voting public. Ricky was not that bad and I can’t see him going, but Nigel has spoken. I love Mary’s comments. She’s very unbiased. With regards to Lady Gaga… It was definitely refreshing to hear something different. She was honest. And I am not a big fan of her music, let alone her style but she is intelligent. She amazed me with her comments. Very objective and true. I like that side of her.

7/28/2011 7:38 AM UTC

25. Rhonnie - wrote:

I agree with Danielle. I love the show, I love Mary..I can’t stand Lady Gag Gag! Bring back the wonderful and talented choreographers as judges. Mia Michaels for one!! I watch the show for it’s professionalism and diverse styles of dance…. Not for the guest judges!

7/28/2011 11:43 AM UTC

26. simpsca - wrote:

I’m glad Mary Murphy is back. Her reviews of the contestants are well thought out, she is a good judge of ballroom, and her comments even if critical are positive. She is a great improvement on Mia last year who could be really negative.

7/28/2011 2:27 PM UTC

27. Mike F - wrote:

Get rid of Bollywood. It is the kiss of death. Voters don’t get it, and every contestant who has to do it is in the bottom after the vote

7/28/2011 3:16 PM UTC

28. Nat - wrote:

I agree with everyone who says that Nigel needs to stop making “predictions” about who will be in the bottom. If he keeps this up, the show will lose viewers. Shut up, Nigel…let the viewers decide ON THEIR OWN!!!!

7/28/2011 3:58 PM UTC

29. Marketquest - wrote:

I don’t understand why Nigel is still cutting people. So, it’s no longer America’s favorite dancer? It’s Nigels? No question in my mind that if Ricky had been in the bottom, he’d have been gone. I think at this point it should be 100% America’s choice as it has been in years past. I feel like Nigel is less of a judge and more of a jury this year than in years past.

7/28/2011 5:53 PM UTC

30. Karen - wrote:

I am so tired of “The b-boy has no training, and look what he has learned!” I* wasn’t a huge fan of Jess, but he was so much more talented then Tadd. I hope, in the end, that it doesn’t matter this year. Because the girls will rule!

7/28/2011 8:11 PM UTC

31. Emily - wrote:

Jess was definitely the most technical guy on the show, followed by Ricky, and his dancing matured every week. The judges never seem to have any criticism for Marko ensure that he’s safe from the bottom three, but they manage to give critiques to Ricky, the better dancer. It kills me to see someone as talented as Jess leave the show over Marko, and as much as I love Tadd, I don’t think they should have kept him just for the entertainment quality that comes with his lack of prior training. It also pains me to see a girl with Jordan’s technique get kicked off before Sasha, who, quite frankly, has no technique. A contemporary dancer should be able to, I don’t know, point their feet? Maybe turnout their attitudes? She lacks so much technique, but the judges are dazzled by her performance so much that they don’t even notice and never criticize her, giving her an unfair advantage. Caitlynn and Jordan are so clearly more talented than Sasha. It’s hard for me to even watch this show anymore, because people I thought deserved to be in the finale have already been kicked off.

7/28/2011 9:59 PM UTC

32. Nat - wrote:

I agree that Jordan should have gone home. I am also glad that Ricky was not in the bottom again. He’s clearly one of the better dancers on the show so I don’t understand why Nigel was so hard on him. Tad should have gone home last night. Jess laid his heart out on the dance floor while dancing for his life… makes you wonder, why bother? Marko is okay, but he does not wow me; don’t understand why he’s never been in the bottom. Ricky and Melanie are my top two dancers. I hope one of them wins.

7/29/2011 9:39 AM UTC

33. Craig - wrote:

It was absurd that Jesse and Jordan were eliminated. It is clear that Jesse, as a dancer, is far more talented than Tadd and that Jordan has the edge on Caitlynn. The fix is in for either Markos, Shasa, or Melanie – and all three are talented dancer. I don’t believe that Jesse or Jordan would have won the competition, but to take them out so early is a crime. Nigel has already declared the winner.

7/29/2011 10:10 AM UTC

34. Taylor - wrote:

As a dancer myself, I was shocked to see Jordan and Jess go home. It should not be up to the judges, but rather the viewers who decide who goes home! Having to suffer through the annoying pitch of Mary Murphys voice is torture enough, but having the shows two most interesting and fabulous dancers eliminated… Well lets just say I will be switching the channel to a different station every Wednesday and Thursday night.

7/29/2011 3:49 PM UTC

35. Kavita - wrote:

There needs to be a new bollywood choreographer… this show is amazing, but the bollywood is awful. Anyone who knows reall bollywood knows that half of these steps are not authentic. I don’t know how or why they chose Nakul, but there are better choreographers out there… If you’re going to show America Bollywood, I suggest you at least get it right!

7/31/2011 6:34 PM UTC

36. Kavita - wrote:

PS Bad bollywood pieces is probably why people keep getting kicked off for it.

7/31/2011 6:35 PM UTC

37. Allie - wrote:

Does anybody know what pants Sasha Mallory was wearing in her previews of the hip hop dance by Chris Scott? They were hot. I do hip hop & i want a pair of those. Can anyone help me out?

8/7/2011 11:50 AM UTC