Top 14 Results

Chris Koehl, Cat Deeley, Ashley Rich

We said goodbye to Chris and Ashley.

Finalists Ashley Rich, 22, a contemporary dancer from Antioch, CA; and Chris Koehl, 21, a hip hop dancer from Garland, TX, were eliminated tonight on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE.

The three couples who received the fewest votes tonight were: Chris Koehl and Ashley Rich; Tadd Gadduang and Jordan Casanova; and Ryan Ramirez and Ricky Jaime. Judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy, along with choreographer Travis Wall, asked the six finalists to perform solo routines and then eliminated Ashley and Chris.

This week’s results show featured performances by Florence and The Machine and Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet. Also tonight it was announced that National Dance Day is Saturday, July 30, 2011. The annual celebration will include local events at Six Flags theme parks across the country. Fans are encouraged to visit www.fox.com/dance to learn the choreography for three unique National Dance Day routines of various levels of expertise, making it possible for people of all ages and dance backgrounds to celebrate.

The competition continues next week on America’s favorite dance show when the Top 12 finalists – Jordan Casanova, Alexander Fost, Tadd Gadduang, Marko Germar, Ricky Jaime, Mitchell Kelly, Caitlynn Lawson, Jess LeProtto, Sasha Mallory, Melanie Moore, Clarice Ordaz and Ryan Ramirez – compete for America and the judges. Emmy-nominated actor Jesse Tyler Ferguson will appear as next week’s guest judge, on a two-hour live performance show airing Wednesday, July 13 8/7c on FOX.

Tune in the following night, Thursday, July 14 8/7c, for special performances by Nicole Scherzinger and Jason Samuels Smith and to find out which two dancers will be sent home next.

View photos from Thursday’s results show.

Comments

33 comments on “Top 14 Results“

1. PSD - wrote:

Well! So You Think You’re Saddled with the same partner each week? Gee, I guess after Ashley was cut, the guys had no clue? Coincidence? What has happened to this show? Please, at least tell us that they have a new formula for cutting the dancers. It appears the weakest dancer in the partnership brings them both down, so is the contest mainly decided by who your partner is at the beginning of the show? If not, then how is it possible to cut Ashley this time when she was saved last week over Miranda? No one will ever convince me, and I suspect many others, that Ryan is a better dancer than Miranda or any of the other dancers. Is it true that Dancing for your Life is just wiggle room for the judges so they can keep whoever they want? Did I hear Nigel say that we’re keeping Tadd because Travis wants to work with him next week? I like Tadd’s talent and agree he should stay, but who are we kidding? The judges panel has revealed they will make up random reasons no matter how unjustifiable to keep exactly who they want regardless of the initial premise of the show which used to be ‘who is America’s favorite dancer?’ But why?? So if we are to keep watching, we’ll have to settle for ‘who is the judges favorite dancer?’ I suppose we should be grateful that we can see some great dancing on SYTYCD, not ‘pretend’ like DWTS. In closing, I’m glad Alexander and Sasha were not in the bottom 3….ooooh…. the judges were mortified that it was Ryan instead……yes America, you did get it right. Besides, Alexander will be great if given the opportunity and some choreography suited to his talent.
    ‘Til next week

7/8/2011 9:14 AM UTC

2. Kristen - wrote:

Why do the judges continue to get it wrong?? They even said it themselves, nobody is connecting with RYAN. Get rid of RYAN already. They let go the wrong couple last week and again this week. So disappointing.

7/8/2011 9:56 AM UTC

3. Anne Stairs - wrote:

I was a little surprised that Ashley was cut before Ryan. I thought Ryan’s dance for her life was heavy and almost crass. She didn’t end it well and left the stage with sort of defeated body language.

Although Ashley has difficulty coming across as well, at least her work is fluid, light and graceful. I hope Ryan’s connection to Mia isn’t helping her here?

7/8/2011 10:31 AM UTC

4. gomama8 - wrote:

For two weeks in a row I have seen the judges put down couples that actually did very well. Lythgoe didn’t like the music/theme of one (as if they had a choice) a week ago and then this week praised another couple that had a similar one. One of the remaining females dances with bent knees and flat feet ALWAYS and should have been gone from the beginning. She never has to perform anything graceful like the waltz – she probably cannot. I believe the judges know who they want to win and the rest in just fill in so that they have something to air. Most of the guest judges are useless.

7/8/2011 10:32 AM UTC

5. donna - wrote:

Keep dancing Chris and Ashley….It was a pleasure to watch you dance, grow, and experience new dances.

7/8/2011 2:59 PM UTC

6. Bonnie - wrote:

My husband and I also thought Ryan looked stiff and awkward while dancing for her life, although Ashley’s was somewhat weak. I don’t understand why their past dances don’t count in the elimination as well as the fact that Ryan has been in the bottom 3 for three times now. It does make you wonder about her connection with Mia. My personal favorite is Jess and Clarise- so refreshing and vital! And I do still miss Iveta and will never understand how she was cut over Ryan.

7/9/2011 8:51 AM UTC

7. Suzanne - wrote:

I absolutely disagree. Though I liked Ashley, RYAN is OUTSTANDING. She is definitely one of the best female dancers. She is suffering from from the situation described by PSD in the first comment in this chain. Ricky sounds like a caricature when he talks – like he is intentionally mocking a certain group of people. I doubt he intends to, but the less he talks the better. He has not appealed and that is why the couple has suffered. They have not recombined any of the bottom three couples this season and it is really too bad.

I so hope to see Ryan in the top ten. I think she will really take off. I think she is one of the top three or four girls, no question.

They are doing to Ryan what happened to Channing. Channing should have been in the top ten her season, but the partnership was not working. The judges cut her too soon. I think America would have loved her in the top ten.

7/9/2011 10:27 AM UTC

8. Jason - wrote:

Ryan, should have gone home a week ago. Ricky is a great dancer, and is suffering because of Ryan.

7/10/2011 10:39 AM UTC

9. donna - wrote:

I agree with the first commenter (near the bottom of said statement)…Alexander is FANTASTIC. Quite frankly, I’m tired of not hearing so from the judges. If they give him ANY positive critiques, it’s very few…but the SWOON and GUSH over Sasha. I believe that if he was given a few positive remarks WITHOUT then diminishing them by saying he had to “work on” something else, I think you would see him really come alive. Regardless, I feel he is holding it together and dancing well in spite of it all. I didn’t think I would be voting anymore this season (due to Ryan being saved over Iveta when her solo was SO much weaker), but I am voting for Alexander because I feel he is being overlooked and slighted by the judges when he has danced extremely well.

7/10/2011 11:31 AM UTC

10. donna - wrote:

Ok, I forgot to say a few things…1st..I’ve never really been a big fan of Ryan; however, her dance this past week was great and she danced it extremely well, I was pleasantly surprised. That dance was one of my favorites of the night, I thought the concept, choreography, and execution were all great. There, I said it. Now, 2nd…I remember from a previous season Nigel saying somthing about how he was surprised that the audience was not “connecting” to Robert, and yes, he did eventually grow on most people; he is now one of my favorite all-time great dancers I’ll never forget. He was kind, gracious, and above all, he was a fabulous dancer (plus he always said he loved his mom and gave her credit and thanks). I am thankful that Robert hung in long enough for most of the audience to see how wonderful he was. I was thrilled to see him fill in for an injured dancer this season…he has even gotten better!!! The thing is though, at least as far as Ryan is concerned…if the judges keep saving her against the audience’s wishes and votes, it very well may backfire and distance her even more from the viewers, regardless how good she may or may not be. It’s kind of like if a parent or teacher favors a particular child so blatently and often, the child can likely become the source of resentment and end up being disliked and bullied from peers…making social life miserable! I don’t think the judges are helping Ryan by ignoring the audience’s input; I think they are building a wall of resentment and I feel that Ryan may pay the price. Many, many fantastic dancers have been sent home before their time, and the judges alway say (as they did to Nick…who left WAY TOO SOON) that this “isn’t the end”, “no doubt you’ll be a star”…so why can’t the judges say this to Ryan and listen to the viewers…the judges may not agree, but how many times can she be saved without wondering “if there’s something fishy going on”?

7/10/2011 12:13 PM UTC

11. nick hronis - wrote:

As an avid viewer since season 1 and I am very disappointed by this season and the cuts being made. To cut a world champion dancer before she could even show her chops for Ryan Ramirez I couldn’t understand why. She’s leaden on the stage, and her dancing presence is like she’s going through the ropes with no internal dramatic connection to the work. Now we find out she’s just not only a miss nobody from Morganville, but a dancer who’s been dancing and working with Mia Micheals for the last 3 years, even being hired by Mia for TV gigs (as shown on the show). If this is a competition, that is definitely a conflict of interest and unfair advantage, and its certainly not fair to the great dancers that have been cut. Iveta Lukosiute can dance circles and command the stage around Ryan. Totally wrong and unfair.

7/10/2011 3:04 PM UTC

12. Anonymous - wrote:

Can we please have all the contestants learn the exact same solo? Just like they did in season 3 with the wade robson’s world peace dance?

7/10/2011 9:55 PM UTC

13. Adge - wrote:

Its obvious no one’s paying attention to these posts. Everyone knows they didn’t put Ryan on the show last year because of Mia being a judge so this year she gets a free pass to top 10. Its terrible that the top 10 won’t be the 10 best. Ryan expresses nothing in her dances. Look at her solos: it’s the same one every time. Iveta, Miranda, Ashley and Missy are all better. I can’t wait until Ryan is in the bottom the entire top 10 but magically survives each week.

7/10/2011 10:10 PM UTC

14. Stella - wrote:

I also do not understand why Ryan is still in this competition. I don’t mean to say that she is not a good dancer, but she is not in the same league as the remaining dancers or the dancers that have been eliminated. How she has been selected over Iveta or Miranda, or Wadi or Robert for that matter, is mindboggleing. I too don’t understand why they are eliminating partners instead of individuals. I don’t remember this from past seasons. The way the judges raved over Ryan’s zombie dance when they were so ho hum over Chris & Ashley’s human/zombie dance is frustrating. Ashley’s dance for your life lacked a bit, but not nearly as much as Ryan’s. Chris’ dance for your life was absolutely fabulous, and I’m so disappointed, though not surpised, that he has been eliminated. It’s pretty easy to see which dancers some of the judges do not like, i.e. Wadi. I’d like the judges to start eliminating individuals, and allow the new partnering that went on in previous seasons.
    Chirs & Ashely: I hope you are reading these posts because you both a great dancers. I hope that being eliminated will bring opportunities to you both that you otherwise would not have been able to accept if you were still in the competition. Your elimination has pushed me to comment here, even though I should have from the beginning with the elimination of Iveta.
    Ricky: It’s not you that the American people are not connecting with. It’s your partner.

7/11/2011 6:18 AM UTC

15. brett - wrote:

So Nigel says Ryan is not connecting with the viewers and yet she gets to stay AGAIN. WHY??!! She reminds me of so many girls I see in dance classes who are technically excellent and precise yet can’t break thru that wall and connect with the viewer. Great dancing, nothing there. But with Caitlynn, wow, wow, WOW! She’s HOT! That Mandy Moore piece was thru the roof!! Great dancing, greater appeal in an innocent way too. I could watch her forever!!! But with the judges protecting their friends and pet favs like Ryan, she’ll probably be eliminated too because that’s where all the great dancers this season go. OMT, this same partner every week is booooooorrring and lame. Let’s get the variety back in the show.

7/11/2011 8:38 AM UTC

16. Jen - wrote:

I am not sure how America is voting. Clarice and Jess should have left a long time ago, most definitely before Iveta who is energetic and an amazing dancer. Jess and Clarice are very good dancers, but they have no chemistry while dancing. Also, Jess has a very cocky and condescending personality that makes anyone I know who has seen the show not enjoy his dancing. Jordan and Tadd should not have been in the bottom over Clarice and Jess. Jordan is a wonderful dancer who has so much spunk and personality that adds so much to her dancing. America needs to vote so much better. If you do not know what good dancing and chemistry are then do not vote.

7/11/2011 1:08 PM UTC

17. kim - wrote:

i really hope they read these comments!!! RYANN NEEDS TO GO!!!! IM SOO SICK OF SEEING HER!!!! me and my mom wanted her to do like one dance and then get voted off&&now she stuck here!!! ashley shouldnot have gone home and im extremely pissed&&if ryan doesnt leave soon idk what ima do!!!!

7/11/2011 8:30 PM UTC

18. donna - wrote:

Wow, the opening number for the “results” show was FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!! I thought that the one the night before was good, but Nikhal (sp?)……you really outdid yourself!!!!!!!!!! PHENOMENAL…that was great choreography and fantastic dancing. Thank you for bringing such a great number to the viewers…it made me want to take bollywood classes.

7/12/2011 7:29 AM UTC

19. donna - wrote:

Ryan & Ricky…you two did not deserve to land in the bottom three couples this past week, your dance was beautifully executed and both of you were 100% in character.

Ashley…your solo was beautiful and graceful..I will miss you.

Chris…based solely on your solo, you would not have gone home last night if it were up to me…will miss you, too… I believe the exposure to this show has and will continue to help you grow, I don’t believe you are done “cooking” yet. I think if you were to have had this amount of exposure to different styles of dance before auditions, you would have gone farther. I hope you continue in other styles now, you are wonderful.

Ricky, your solo was phenomenal.

Jordan, you are no doubt a wonderful dancer, but enough with the “sexy”..I think we’ve seen it enough…just dance without acting like you are dancing at a strip club during your solo. Yes, it’s “hot”, but we aren’t all male voters….

7/12/2011 7:51 AM UTC

20. Diana - wrote:

Ricky is AMAZING!!!!! The one not connecting here with America is his partner Ryan. Don’t get me wrong, Ryan is a great dancer but there is no real connection in her movement and emotions. She is def. holding Ricky back and its a shame they haven’t been split up yet!! If anything, America vote vote vote for RICKY this week so HE can be in the top ten so America can really see what he’s capable of doing!!!

7/12/2011 9:29 AM UTC

21. Karyne - wrote:

Okay…..was out of the country and just watch the results show. I am extremely disappointed with the results….and FYI, I only blog when I need to. I can understand the decision of sending Chris home, but Ashley? I agree with most of the blogs here: It is time for Ryan to go. She has a nice smile, but it is as if she was programmed or told to smile (or sneak one in) while performing. Ricky WAY outperformed her in their routine. Her pirouettes weren’t strong (she fell out of 2) and her movements weren’t sharp….and the judges know this. They complemented the routine in the hopes that votes would be cast. I know Ryan is MIa Micheals’ protege, but she’s not the strongest dancer. Miranda (who is now gone) & Melonie are the strongest. I’m starting to get irritated with the show. I do, however, like that they told Jordan that they are tired of solo’s…..ME TOO!

7/12/2011 4:25 PM UTC

22. Michael - wrote:

I believe Sasha & Alexander were robbed by Shaun Evaristo choreography. I know Alexander didn’t have “Swag” but I felt the routine was Hip Hop 101 and Sasha & Alexander did the best they could with what they were given. I wish the judges would criticize the choreographers because it is not always the dancers fault that their performances didn’t measure up

7/12/2011 7:00 PM UTC

23. Jose - wrote:

Both Ashley and Chris are inspirational, talented, and amazing dancers! I wish the best of luck to the both of them in their lives and may their future be filled with success! I hope to get to see more of them in the future! :-)

7/13/2011 3:35 AM UTC

24. k&j - wrote:

Well…I also hate the COUPLES going home instead of individuals. As a dancer you should be able to handle new twists and turns. (like having a new partner). If you can handle this, props to you! If America doesn’t like one person, it brings the couple down. With the way the judges are “judging” (not correctly at all…) the couple goes home. If you rocked your solo (Chris) you get sent home anyway. I love this show, but the judging and America’s votes are so messed up. Miranda and Chris should still be on the show. This season is CRAZY. Jordan needs to change the theme of her solos. (and we all know what that is!) America we have to get it right so that the judges don’t send home another one of our favorites because of the partner!

7/13/2011 10:16 AM UTC

25. AJ - wrote:

@Michael Sasha & Alexander just didn’t do the choreo justice. If they had hip-hop dancers it would have turned out so much better because Shaun Evaristo is a world renown choreographer.

7/13/2011 5:17 PM UTC

26. Lindsay - wrote:

To Suzanne: how can you say that Ricky’s dancing is hurting Ryan’s chances of winning, when he always has an outstanding dance for your life everytime she drags him to the bottom three and hers are always mediocre at best….you obviously know nothing about talent or dance and are just going along with the judges favoritism. As someone who has danced since age 4 I can tell you that Ryan has poor turnout, bent knees way too often, doesn’t point her toes, and can’t control her facial expressions enough to convey a message to the audience. She does not deserve to be on this show and the fact that so many more deserving dancers have gone home because of her makes me almost not want to watch the show anymore. If she doesn’t go home soon I’m going to have to quit watching the show.

7/13/2011 6:27 PM UTC

27. Failing FAN - wrote:

Not FEELING THE LYRICAL HIP HOP it’s too much like contemporary….NEED MORE HARD HITTING (no crump) but definitively HIP HOP WHERE IS NAPPTABs???

I agree some of these routines are like HIP HOP 101

With the musicality of the contemporary choreagraphers….there is NO NEED for the lyrical hip hop

7/13/2011 7:25 PM UTC

28. Vicki - wrote:

Re: top 12
    Shame, shame, judges for cutting Alexander
    Sasha and Alexander had the best performances of the top twelve. (M&M’s tango had some awkward spots.) The audience did not vote for them much b/c they figured they were safe and were desperately trying to save others who had at least one poor dance of the two.
    Alexander’s solo was unique and different, perhaps just a tiny bit shaky b/c he was shocked to be at the bottom after giving the best performance.
    Mitchel’s solo was strong but not particularly unique. We had seen much better in the same genre (Brandon) and he had plenty of opportunity to work on it. He started out a strong dancer but somewhat disconnected and has not shown any growth.
    I would love to see more of Alexander. I wonder who is taking the place of Alex Wong in the top 10..
    …Also agree with comment above that Miranda should still be here.

7/14/2011 11:20 PM UTC

29. koko - wrote:

Yaaaay ricky *sigh of relief* that cha cha was crazy! And he’s free from ryan! Hoping new partners will allow him to show all he’s got, I think he’s a wonderful dancer, def one of the best guys ( after marko :-) ) can’t wait till next week. Ps/ side bar- what the heck was sasha doin in the bottom 3 *shocked* if she’s ever there again, she’s gotta dance way better than that!

7/15/2011 9:30 AM UTC

30. Carolyn R. - wrote:

I agree with Vicki, Alexander should not have been cut. His lines were beautiful, his technique was wonderful, his solo was exceptional, and he clearly could have been an asset to the show. I would have loved to have seen what else he could do as he progressed on the show.

I also agree with the previous comments, the judging so far definitely seems skewed. The judges are supposed to be the experts, but the audience is not ignorant about performances that touch the soul and some the performers that have stayed as opposed to some that have been cut in previous weeks is a travesty.

7/15/2011 12:37 PM UTC

31. Jennifer - wrote:

I already saw the movie “Saving Ryan”, don’t need a repeat. Really?? I agree with the previous comments about judges making up excuses. How many times do we hear from the judges “We just can’t keep you in the competition when you keep ending up in the bottom 3″. Hello?? Ryan is always in the bottom 3. America is trying to vote her off. Let it happen already!! Are they so afraid to hurt Mia Micheals feelings?? It’s called “America’s” favorite dancer, not “Mia Micheals” favorite dancer.

7/15/2011 1:01 PM UTC

32. Jaen Moreland - wrote:

I don’t know who Nigel or Mary or Cat or anyone else is or is not dating – that is considered private by most people. Why is it that gay people have to say it when NOBODY else does. I have watched your show since day one, never missed an episode yet even when traveling and I even flew to Arizona for season 5 live show, but I’m getting tired of all the gay people and hearing about their private lives. Again, we hear nothing about anyone else’s private life. I’m considering not watching the show if you don’t get back to DANCING.

7/17/2011 8:50 PM UTC