WED 8/7c AUG 6

Season 8 Guest Judges

Season 8 of So You Think You Can Dance will feature resident judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy, as well as guest judges Robin Antin, Lil C, Tyce Diorio, Toni Redpath and Jason Gilkison.

ROBIN ANTIN

Robin Antin is a true American success story. As a choreographer, clothing designer, and TV producer, she is both an exciting entertainer and a savvy entrepreneur, who is responsible for one of the world’s biggest pop girl group sensations, the Pussycat Dolls.

The SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE Guest Judge created the Pussycat Dolls in 1995 as a cabaret act at Hollywood hot spot the Viper Room. The group went on to produce five hit songs from their debut albums, “PCD” and “Doll Domination.” Antin then took the Pussycat Dolls brand to Las Vegas, where for five years and counting, she’s maintained the successful Pussycat Dolls Casino inside Caesar’s Palace.

In this exciting space, the Pussycat Doll theme dominates, starting with dealers clad in sexy Pussycat Doll merchandise. Inside, a Pussycat Dolls boutique entices every girl to take home a bit of the PCD glamour by picking up something from Antin’s own line of lingerie, “Shhh . . . by Robin Antin.”

Las Vegas can’t get enough of the Pussycat Dolls. On June 2011, Antin opens her second Pussycat Dolls nightclub, “PCD Burlesque Saloon,” in Planet Hollywood.

While the Pussycat Dolls brand continues to rise, Antin stays busy with her many other ventures. In 2010, she choreographed the opening number for the Emmy Awards hosted by Jimmy Fallon, and this year her work can be seen on AMERICAN IDOL. Antin will also recur as a guest judge on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE.

Antin starred in her own reality show for two seasons on the CW, “Search for the Next Doll,” while somehow finding time to create another platinum-selling girl group, Girlicious. It’s no surprise that Antin was just awarded the Mogul Award by Dance Tracks Magazine.

Extending her reach beyond the dance world, Antin will be collaborating with her close friend Kim Kardashian on the development of a new reality show, Robin Antin’s “The Business of Being $EXY.”

In December 2009, Antin launched her first fitness video, “The Pussycat Dolls Workout,” an immediate Top 10 hit. She’s now producing her follow-up DVD, the “Pussycat Dolls Dancers Body Workout,” scheduled for a fall 2011 release.

Antin is also well-known as the choreographer of hit films, such as “Charlie’s Angels,” and the infamous Carl’s Jr. commercial with Paris Hilton. She’s worked with some of the world’s most beautiful women, including Christina Applegate, Carmen Electra, Fergie, Charlize Theron, and Scarlett Johansson, giving them the “Pussycat Doll makeover” for her sexy live shows, “Pussycat Dolls Burlesque Revue,” currently touring throughout the U.S. and Canada. She also worked closely with Gwen Stefani in preparation for No Doubt’s “Rock Steady Tour.” In addition, Antin has produced another hit Las Vegas stage show, “Matt Goss, Live from Las Vegas,” which runs in the Gossy Room in Caesars Palace Hotel and Casino.

CHRISTOPHER “LIL’ C” TOLER

Christopher “Lil’ C” Toler is best known for being one of the originators and pioneers of the dance style known as krumping, which has earned him the title of King of Krump. From his shine in “Rize,” to his memorable moments on the judging panel on SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, there is never a dull moment with the man who brought the world the term “bucc” . . . one of Nigel’s favorite words.

The acclaimed dancer and choreographer has collaborated with such legendary artists as Jennifer Lopez, Fall Out Boy, and Madonna, and he has worked on movies, including “Be Cool” and “Stomp the Yard.” He can currently be seen playing the role of Z in the hit web series “LXD,” and in the new movie coming out later this year, “Beat the World.”

This year, his fans will see that he’s a true triple threat, as he adds music to his resume, with the release of his critically acclaimed mix tape “Rhythm and Bucc.” The sky is the limit for Lil C; be watching for him at a stage near you!

TONI REDPATH

Ballroom dance champion and SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE choreographer and guest judge Toni Redpath was born in Surfers Paradise, in Queensland, Australia. She started ballroom dancing at age 9, after accompanying a friend to a local dance competition and deciding that it looked like too much fun not to try.

When she was 18, Redpath represented Norway for three years with then-partner Jan Tore Jacobson before moving to England and passing her Imperial Society Professional Exams with high honors.

Redpath later joined her family in America and began her professional career as an instructor at the Champion Ballroom Academy in San Diego, California.

Michael Mead and Redpath formed a professional ballroom competition partnership and developed a unique style that ultimately led them to setting a record by winning the U.S. Open Ballroom Championships four years in a row (undefeated throughout) before retiring from competition in 2002.

Redpath now choreographs for shows, trains the current World Champion American Style ballroom dancers, is a certified World Class judge, and judges at all the major U.S. Ballroom competitions.

Redpath has provided acclaimed choreography for multiple seasons of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE and debuted as a guest judge in Season 7 of the hit show.

JASON GILKISON

World-renowned dancer and choreographer Jason Gilkison began a successful partnership in 2008 with SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE, stamping his presence as a phenomenal choreographer and astute judge.

The Australian-born Gilkison has become one of the most sought-after and respected Ballroom and Latin choreographers on the contemporary dance scene, both onstage and onscreen.

Gilkison and longtime dance partner Peta Roby were the undefeated Latin Champions in Australia from 1981 to 1997. During this time, they also took the coveted titles of World, British, and International Champions. And in 1990 they won the prestigious “Young Australian of the Year” award in recognition of their achievements.

Gilkison and Peta then became the residing teachers at one of London’s most prestigious ballroom schools, where they remained for seven years, training many of the world’s leading dancers. They also performed with Peter Allen in the presence of Prince Charles and the late Princess Diana, as well as appearing in a feature story on a “60 Minutes” broadcast recognizing their international success.

Gilkison and Peta’s film credits include performances in “Evita” with Madonna and choreography in “Let’s Get Skase.”

In 1999 Gilkison and Peta joined the original production of the Ballroom and Latin Dance spectacular “Burn the Floor,” and they performed with the company as lead dancers until 2006. In 2001 Gilkison also took on the roles of Choreographer and Artistic Director.

Gilkison put his personal stamp on “Burn the Floor” in 2005 by creating a new version from scratch, aiming to create a more intimate and magical experience for theatergoers.

In 2009 Gilkison created and choreographed the “NEW” Broadway edition of “Burn the Floor — Ballroom Reinvented,” and last year Gilkison took the show to the West End, London, with an extremely successful run at the Shaftesbury Theatre. “Burn the Floor” has been performed in more than 40 countries and 161 cities.

Gilkison is currently working on new stage productions as well as TV engagements. His artistic skills and groundbreaking choreography continue to inspire dancers and evoke the emotions of audiences around the world.

Comments

286 comments on “Season 8 Guest Judges“

1. Barb - wrote:

I have to thank you so much for allowing me to realize and understand dance. I have watched every season and just this year really ‘got it’. The beauty I saw in the performances has always made me smile. However, this year I was able to experience JOY! Thank you, from someone experiencing depression, who now has something beautiful to look forward to. Your contribution to the world is greatly appreciated.

7/1/2011 4:50 PM UTC

2. Social - wrote:

nice blog, I like it
    Thanks, keep the good work.

7/2/2011 1:10 AM UTC

3. Jillian - wrote:

I am a competitive dancer, and I have one every one, and I have always wanted a chance! I watch every episode 45 times to learn the group dances. I do them insanely well. Please send me a registration form! Mr. Nigel you are my favorite judge!

7/3/2011 5:59 AM UTC

4. Denise Homeijer - wrote:

Love the judges…. but when is my Mia Michael’s going to be on the show? Miss her! I need me so Mia! ;)

7/3/2011 10:10 AM UTC

5. Dave - wrote:

Ms. Murphy has impressive credentials but makes an idiot of herself when she starts “screaming.”

7/3/2011 1:29 PM UTC

6. Cheri - wrote:

I love it when I see Toni Redpath when she is truly moved by a routine. It is always a well deserved response in my opinion. I honor her critiques because she is always honest about them even if they are not favorable.

7/3/2011 3:36 PM UTC

7. Nancy Reck - wrote:

Do away with the “celebrity” guest judges and give us more of the choreographers; most of their comments help the dancers grow and the public understand better. Debbie Reynolds and Kristen Chenoweth were useless on both counts, cute as they may be. The panel of judges is what distinguishes this show from all the other so-called talent contests. And yeah, I miss Mia terribly too; she’s blunt and not always nice, but she’s a fabulous choreographer and a great judge.

7/4/2011 8:16 AM UTC

8. alana - wrote:

This weeks episode was so much better with
    Lil C. You really need someone up there that knows what they are talking about. Kristen was funny but did not add anything. Am I the only one who things Mary did not need to come back. Last season was better with judging.

7/4/2011 12:42 PM UTC

9. Lori - wrote:

Please don’t bring back guest judges (as per above coments) who don’t offer any useful comments to the show. Credible judges like Mia Michaels or Adam need to come back soon. I always fast forward the useless judge comments on my PVR.

7/6/2011 12:55 PM UTC

10. Nicole - wrote:

Wheres Mia michaels? Miss her and need some of her amazing dances!!!!!

7/6/2011 5:04 PM UTC

11. BSue - wrote:

I need me some Adam Shankman…where is he?

7/6/2011 5:31 PM UTC

12. Stephanie - wrote:

OMG Are we that desperate that we have to ask Carmen Electra to be a judge on this INCREDIBLE show??? She is FRIGGIN’ CLUELESS about dance (unless it involves a pole), and looks and sounds like a COMPLETE idiot when asked to make comments on dancer’s performances. I LOVE this show, and I love dance. Let’s keep this show the inspiring, educational, and family friendly show that it’s always been. Please select more professional judges who actually know dance terminology and actually support and complement Nigel and Mary and your wonderful show!

7/6/2011 5:49 PM UTC

13. Michelle - wrote:

The only disappointment of this season has been the “celebrity” judges – Carmen Electra, give me a break. She had absolutely nothing to add about any of the performances, even if you might value what she had to say, which I do not!!! I agree with all of the comments that Nancy Reck made about the celebrity judges versus the choreographers. Please do away with the “celebrity” judges – they only take away from the quality of the show.

7/6/2011 6:09 PM UTC

14. Nia - wrote:

BRING BACK Kristin Chenoweth!!!!!!!!!!

7/6/2011 6:47 PM UTC

15. Stephanie - wrote:

I agree…where is Mia Michaels and Adam Shankman? We need the real choreographers not the celebrity judges. Please tell me that they’ll be back this season.

7/6/2011 7:59 PM UTC

16. karhynna - wrote:

Please, do not ever invite Carmen Electra again!!!!
    She is a AWFUL judge! She just repeat what the other judges said… I know most all the Americans consider her hot, but it doesn’t mean she has technical knowledge or intelligence to comment about dance.
    Please, please, please Electra NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

7/6/2011 8:12 PM UTC

17. Francine - wrote:

I know that you guys are trying to mix things up a bit but I don’t think it’s working very well. I wasn’t crazy about the all-stars last year although I loved every single one of them in their respective season and now this year there are “celebrity” judges and last night had a whole bunch of new choreographers!?! I loved used to love this show because it stayed away from being “cheezy” and was actually an intelligent program, now it seems to be going the way of all other tv shows, dumb & dumber!

7/7/2011 9:48 AM UTC

18. Tor - wrote:

This week was much better!!! Everyone wasn’t “wonderful” all the time, they had things to work on! Out of the celeb judges, I think Carmen Electra was the best, she had a Lot more of a clue… my opinion. Mark wasn’t schreeeching much. These post must be being read :D

7/7/2011 3:28 PM UTC

19. Tor - wrote:

*Mary not Mark

7/7/2011 3:29 PM UTC

20. Barbara Bean - wrote:

Where has Adam Shankman been

7/7/2011 4:45 PM UTC

21. ria - wrote:

love this show .i love dancing nigel snd me a application form.i love all the season 7′s dancers.new dancers are not that good.

7/8/2011 2:54 AM UTC

22. Paticia - wrote:

I agree 100% with the comments about the “guest judges”. PLEASE STOP the current trend of celebrities. We need to go back to professional choreographers. I love this show and the dancers are wonderful but if this keeps up, I am going to have to stop watching. I read that Lady Gaga has signed up as a “guest judge” OH PLEASE! Thats just plain wrong!

7/8/2011 3:52 AM UTC

23. lisa - wrote:

I love the dancing. I would love to see the cameras stay still for a little while so we can really get the gist of the whole dance. I like Mary being back. She is a kick and knows dance.

7/8/2011 10:27 AM UTC

24. Rose - wrote:

I am not a dancer but it must be difficult if you get paired with a dancer who does not have technical training nor experience like a bboy dancer. Last night the female who was sent home was an amazing dancer but her partner did not have the same experience as the other male dancers. I liked him but it was not fair that her dance was judged with a partner with little experience. Does anyone feel this way about the judging?

7/8/2011 10:51 AM UTC

25. CJ - wrote:

I love SYTYCD and have been watching since the second season. I am extremely happy that Mia Michaels has NOT been a guest judge, and I hope she won’t be again. Mia is absolutely horrible when she doesn’t like a dancer, and I fail to see why she takes such great delight in tearing a dancer apart. Mia needs to stick to choreography and leave the judging to other guest choreographers. Like Adam. I miss him!

7/8/2011 11:36 AM UTC

26. Laurie - wrote:

I too miss Mia! her choreography is moving and her comments are from a place of knowing.
    BTW- does anyone remember the title of the piece she did that involved the park bench? I’ve searched on UTube but must haven’t the right title. thank you!

7/8/2011 3:36 PM UTC

27. Laurie - wrote:

I don’t care for Cat…her accent, her clothes, her flippant attitude, and it’s obvious, to me at least that she knows little about dance. I don’t like how she talks to the dancers, in a dismissive way that I find insulting. She looks like a fish out of water.

7/8/2011 3:41 PM UTC

28. David hull - wrote:

I love dancing I love this show.But I cant figure out how to show my self on the computer.How?

7/8/2011 4:19 PM UTC

29. David - wrote:

I love this show. I saw season 6 season 7 and started this season. (8)

7/8/2011 4:24 PM UTC

30. Vladimir - wrote:

I agree with most of the comments above, this show was so much better with choreographer judges. This is the only show my family and I watch religiously. I did not like Mia as a judge, but loved most of her choreography. But, the person I miss the most in the show (both as a judge and a phenomenal choreographer) is Wade Robson. What a pity he is not there any more. Loved every bit of his brilliant choreography…..

7/8/2011 9:44 PM UTC

31. Natalie - wrote:

Please get rid of the celebrity judges. They lower the standard of the show. I have been a devoted fan since season 1. Lets keep it classy please.

7/9/2011 5:07 PM UTC

32. Marcia - wrote:

Where is ADAM???? I miss him and the celebrity judges just do NOT compare. BRING HIM BACK!!

7/13/2011 6:18 AM UTC

33. Jessica - wrote:

You guys really really need to take off “Lil’ C”. First off who uses a ghettoer mame from MySpace, and second, he tries to hard to sound smart like a regular judge who actually know what he says. Thats pathetic how hard he tries to sound smart, you’re using OXYMORONS. You moron.
    p.s. i know a bunch if people who agree.

7/13/2011 4:46 PM UTC

34. Wylinda - wrote:

I love Mia and Adam, please bring them back. Lets keep this the quality show it is. Love me some Lil C. and please, never ever give a judge’s seat to Carmen Electra

7/13/2011 6:37 PM UTC

35. Eva .E. - wrote:

U guys has always been amazing in everything including judging!!!!!!!! Love y’all!!!!!

7/13/2011 6:55 PM UTC

36. christie.mom - wrote:

The judges tonight were great!! So glad to see Sonya as a judge. I LIke having the guests to get other views,Also FYI on Mary she had a cancer in her thyroid scare this last year and I for one am Very Happy to see her and her loud Voice back!! She is one of a kind and I just Love her!! You have to have a sense of humor and not be so in the box so to speak. This is definitly my favorite show that I watch every season and always will :) A huge Thank-you to Nigel!! Love him too.. Not sure who the male judge was but he was hysterical and I hope he judges again. Anyway I definitly remember the dance with the bench and I believe that it was really one of the very best done to date. I dont remem the name either but will also look for it and post if I do find it.Great comments to my fellow post’s

7/13/2011 7:56 PM UTC

37. sheilia - wrote:

I to miss Wade Robson…i love Mia’s choreography but not her judging! SO GLAD MARY IS BACK…I REALLY MISSED “THE HOT TAMALE TRAIN”…WOO WHOOOO!

7/13/2011 9:45 PM UTC

38. Victoria - wrote:

Do not like the celebrity judges as they do not really have much value to add. Prefer the choreographer judges because they have real and valid feedback. I hope Mia Michaels is back soon!

7/14/2011 7:13 AM UTC

39. Mandy - wrote:

Congrats Cat on your Emmy nomination!
    I am definitely missing Adam Shankman’s judging & Mia Michaels’ choreography this season – please say you have them “up your sleeve” for later.
    Also, what’s going on between Nigel & Mary?

7/14/2011 1:10 PM UTC

40. patty - wrote:

In fairness to the dancers, please do not use judges who cannot dance ABOVE the level you are expecting the contestants to reach. It’s wronging the contestants and shortchanging the viewers. (Debbie, Carmen, Ellen, etc.) Thanx

7/14/2011 5:59 PM UTC

41. Penni - wrote:

I agree with the comments that the celebrity judges do not lend much to the show and some of them actually detract from the show (i.e. Carmen Electra). Kristen Chenoweth was at least funny and had something of interest to say. Travis was great! Mary Murphy is annoying, but when she stops screaming and acting-a-fool she actually does have some interesting comments and advice and teaches the viewers something about dance. Please Nigel — bring in the experts and not the clowns!!

7/14/2011 6:49 PM UTC

42. DL - wrote:

Congrats to Jesse Tyler Ferguson as celebrity judge!!! His comments were spot on, and he achieved what those who preceded could not, along with being funny. Great job, Jesse. Please come back soon, but omit talk of marriage with the contestants. Note to choreographers and costume designer: Less sleaze, please. Tell us a story without the sleaze, and skimpy costumes.

7/14/2011 10:26 PM UTC

43. frances lowery - wrote:

WOULD YOU PLEASE COREOGRAPH A SPECIAL DANCE WITH THE SONG SUNG BY TAYLOR SWIFT, IF I DIE YOUNG, OUR LOVING DAUGHTER SHANNA MORSE PASSED AWAY ON MARCH 9 OF THIS YEAR. WE MISS HER VERY MUCH. AND I KNOW SONJA OR MARY WOULD DO A BEAUTIFUL JOB. PLEASE LET US KNOW THANKS A GREIVING MOTHER

7/15/2011 5:57 AM UTC

44. Joan - wrote:

Someone is reading the posts – but where’s Mia and Adam?
    I’ve watched and loved this show every season but this season is a challenge for me. Who decided the show needed a format change? No celebrity judges, less new and weak choregraphers who are a deterent to the dancers would raise the show back to its high quality of the past. Thanks for the wanted update on Alex. I’m so sad to hear he’s injured again. One of the best. Even though Jesse was funny last night, you can’t be serious that he’s going to be one of the professional partners! That’s just wrong. I liked last season’s format, the show had class. This season is bordering on cheesy as someone else said because of the “celebrity” judges and newer weaker choreographers trying to emulate those who can. As for the park bench (and the Mattress number and the door number done by Twitch, all I believe were choreographed by Mia) ask Travis Wall the name of the piece. He danced it. He is amazing! I still mute Mary’s comments and it’s a shame because when she’s not acting the fool and screeching, she has good comments. Last season’s judges were ideal! Thanks for listening Nigel. (and I like Cat! She’s a rare woman MC and does so well at keeping the show moving without making snide comments.)

7/15/2011 8:35 AM UTC

45. Mandy - wrote:

Congratulations Cat on your well deserved Emmy nomination!!!

I agree about the celebrity judges. With the notable exception of Jesse Tyler Ferguson, who clearly appreciates the show, was well-prepared, had relevant comments for the dancers, and was outrageously hysterical, the celebrities have had little to add and have often detracted from the quality of the show. I do enjoy seeing the choreographers as judges because they make very informed comments about the dancing, they have a personal relationship with the dancers, and we get to see more of who they are as people, which adds a really nice dimension to watching the dances they choreograph.

I really miss Mia and Adam as judges and I hope you will bring them back! They were both SO enthusiastic, clear, and honest, and they offered the dancers so much in the way of valuable advice and developmental feedback. I think it really contributed to the dancers’ growth over the course of the show. I don’t see that happening as much this year.

Mary often has a lot of useful feedback for the dancers too but I’m sorry to say I CANNOT STAND her screaming! Not only is it unpleasant to listen to but it makes her look foolish. It really, really detracts from my enjoyment of the show in a big way. That being said I am really glad for her and her loved ones that that she is now healthy. Apart from the screaming, her comments to the dancers do add to the show.

Nigel is just a consummate professional, always ready with useful and straightforward comments that seem spot on to me. Thank you, Nigel, for “keeping it real,” and for creating one of my all-time favorite shows!

7/15/2011 9:49 PM UTC

46. Mandy - wrote:

I couldn’t agree more with DL’s comment about the costumes. Are you experiencing fabric shortages this year? All of the girls are nearly naked almost all of the time and I’m finding it really irritating. Add to that the fact that the “sexy” dances are so over-the-top praised and celebrated… It just feels incredibly sleazy and I think it sends a terrible message to women everywhere – and young girls especially – about beauty, body image, sexuality, and what makes a woman valuable. Can’t we just watch them dance? There’s enough raw talent on that stage to drop everyone’s jaws several times over without them having to strip to prove it.

7/15/2011 9:52 PM UTC

47. John Wesley - wrote:

Jesse was a great celebrity judge. I too hope to see him again. The sleeze comes with the dance. Just like art. Where are Adam and Mia this season? I like Mia’s work, but as someone earlier pointed out as a judge she is vindictive and spiteful. If she likes you, she’ll protect you forever. If she doesn’t care for you, you’ll be on her hate list till elimination. I remember one season when she had to apologize because Nigel (off camera) told her to do so. Maybe that’s why she’s not on this year.

7/16/2011 4:40 AM UTC

48. Donna - wrote:

I just love to watch this show and my congrats to Cat for her nomination!! Sorry to say with Mary back, my mute button is on overtime. I loved last season but my dislike for this women’s hollering and antics are just at a peak ….so sorry she’s back. Mary – nothing personal – just TONE IT BACK!

7/16/2011 3:24 PM UTC

49. Donna - wrote:

BRING MIA BACK – WE LOVE HER :) :)

7/16/2011 3:25 PM UTC

50. Kathleen - wrote:

Agree with what’s been said: No more celebrity judges. Bring back Mia and Adam. Choreographers as judges = legitimacy to the show. Celebs as judges = “Smashing my dahling! I love you! Smooches and toodles!”

7/18/2011 12:33 PM UTC