Top 6 Week Results

The double-elimination sent Jose Ruiz and Billy Bell home.

After last week’s dramatic judges’ save, two finalists – Billy Bell and Jose Ruiz – were eliminated on Thursday’s So You Think You Can Dance, revealing this season’s Top 4: Kent Boyd, Lauren Froderman, Robert Roldan, and AdéChiké Torbert.

Eliminated tonight were Bell, 20, a Contemporary dancer from Palm Beach, FL; and Ruiz, 21, a B-Boy dancer from Miami, FL.

This week’s results show also featured special performances by American Idol Season 8 finalist Allison Iraheta with Orianthi, Motown recording artist Christian TV and dancers from the film Step Up 3-D.

With less than two weeks to go until the final showdown, the competition gets even hotter when the Top 4 take the stage Wednesday, Aug. 4 at 8/7c on the penultimate performance show in hopes of making it to the finale and earning the title of America’s Favorite Dancer and $250,000.

Here is what the Top 4 had to say to their fans:

Kent Boyd
Age: 18
Dance Specialty: Contemporary Jazz
Hometown: Botkins, OH
Currently Resides: Wapakoneta, OH

“It doesn’t matter where you come from – you can make anything happen. Dream big, folks!”

Lauren Froderman
Age: 18
Dance Specialty: Contemporary Jazz
Hometown: Phoenix, AZ
Currently Resides: Phoenix, AZ

“Words cannot describe what this experience has meant to me, and I have you all – my fans – to thank for making it this far. I am honored to have shared my love for dance with America. I can never thank everyone enough for the joy and growth I have accomplished with your help. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you so much for believing in me.”

Robert Roldan
Age: 20
Dance Specialty: Contemporary
Hometown: Thousand Oaks, CA
Currently Resides: North Hollywood, CA

“Thankful doesn’t even come close to describing how much I appreciate every person who has supported me through this whole process. Dream your dream. And never give up on going after it because your dream belongs to you and no one else. Thank you for everything!”

AdéChiké Torbert
Age: 23
Dance Style: Contemporary
Hometown: Brooklyn, NY
Currently Resides: Queens, NY

“This has been such an amazing journey and such a life-changing experience. I have not only grown as a dancer, but I’ve also grown as a man and a human being. Thank you for allowing me to share my passion and love for the art form every week. I am deeply humbled by this experience and eternally grateful for all of the love and positivity sent my way.”

Tune in the following night, Thursday, Aug. 5 at 9/8c, to find out which three dancers will be in the final showdown for the title of America’s Favorite Dancer and to see performances by rap sensation Flo Rida, smash recording artist Janelle Monáe and Complexions Contemporary Ballet founder Desmond Richardson.

Comments

27 comments on “Top 6 Week Results“

1. gs - wrote:

Good top 4. It was all unfair that Billy and Jose got to stay when they
    were clearly injured (no sharing in the opening gig for Jose and Billy
    sitting back for an extra week) Robert has stepped up to the plate .
    I think the little miss will win it all anyway…they are all great though.
    Glad to see Mia Michaels behave more professionally and tone down the
    makeup and neg. approach. NIce to see another judge. I think the focus
    of this show has kind of gone nuts though…all the interest seems to be in the national interest in dance/the tour/the various outside things going on rather than the remaining dancers. Would like to see less contemporary stuff and more classic stuff….and MARY MURPHY.
    gs

7/30/2010 11:44 AM UTC

2. gs - wrote:

PS..just reading about American Idol changes….Mr. Nigel…wow I hope you are back in charge!! and glad to see Ellen go…what a disaster and
    Kara..ugh…hear she is gone..EXCELLENT.. What a waste..Give Randy
    Jackson some people who know music and who dress with some
    modicum of professionalism…no undershirts or open to the navel shirts..or people who look like they just got out of bed (Simon Cowell) or look like deer in the headlights….or drunks….or nasty…..the experiment with “guest ” judges in the initial stages was silly….Katy Perry was horrid and nasty…Mary J. was great but that’s just cause she is Mary J…..better contestants and less goofy stuff please….
    gs

7/30/2010 11:52 AM UTC

3. LD - wrote:

I think the amount of superlatives that the Judges use makes what they say less credible. For instance for Adam Shankman to say that Ashley’s routine was one of the best contemporary performances ignores work done by Kayla, Brandon, Jeanine, Ade and Melissa.

When Danny performed he was called the best dancer, Kayla was crowned by Adam Shankman as the best dancer, Jakob was also called the best dancer, Bill also was named the best dancer and, of course, Alex was also called the best dancer.

If the All Stars will be coming back for Season 8, I would love to see Danny and Brandon among them.

A SYTYCD Fanatic. LD

7/30/2010 12:16 PM UTC

4. Debbie - wrote:

Can’t believe it!!! So upset Billy’s out!!! His number with the homeless person was the BEST of the season!!! Shoud have been Adechike! How the heck does he keep getting through?? I’ll miss seeing you Dance Billy.

7/30/2010 1:16 PM UTC

5. AJ - wrote:

First can I just say how truly moved I was by Stacey Tookey’s “Heaven is a Place on Earth” piece? As a the wife of a Navy officer who has spent most of the summer gone and will be deploying in the fall, I was moved beyond words. As a veteran myself, the ending where Kathryn left as the soldier just made it even better vs. the man because I have been on the other side too. Thank you Stacey for that. It was beautiful, wonderful and so much more. To Kathryn & Robert, you danced beautifully! You honored Stacey’s vision. It meant a lot to this military veteran and wife! Thank you to all!

7/30/2010 1:22 PM UTC

6. carys - wrote:

I knew it was coming-it was a bitter blow to see Billy go-not that I thought he should win but because I can’t see him dance again. It seems to me that Billy was about performing and being the best artist he could be, while remaining true to himself. He has integrity and outstanding ability. I would have rather had Robert go. I felt nothing from him. Billy has soul, emotion and passion. Apart from AdeChike the show is over for me. The maturity level is not there apart from him.
    We’re not all young people, the viewers, we reach across all ages. I’d like to see people like Anthony come back and others like him. This was a very ‘young’ season. However, I loved most of it tremendously.

7/30/2010 2:11 PM UTC

7. Brittany - wrote:

I would have rather had Lauren leave the show and Billy stay. I believe the two of them are great dancers, but Billy can out shine her any day. Plus…the girl needs to lose the cocky attitude, the audience doesn’t respond well to that.

7/30/2010 7:29 PM UTC

8. Kris A - wrote:

Is it me or does anyone long for the return of Mary Michaels and only temporary judging of Mia Michels. I am so sick of Mia’s way harsh criticism of Adechike and Robert, and especially Kent. She seems to have something against guys in general? I am sooo tired of her !!! She exudes so much negativity–BRING MARY BACK

7/30/2010 9:57 PM UTC

9. ladybug5 - wrote:

Is it just me or does any else hate Mia Micheals as a judge this season?? As a dancer myself i enjoyed Mary Murphys positive energy, the dancers need that energy as well. Where has she been, i miss the hot tamale train, she brought such an excitement to the show that is lacking this year with Mia in her spot. Nothing against Mia she is my all time FAVORITE choreographer, but she is to harsh as a judge, and i cant her holier than thou personna, thank go for DVR so i can fast forward through her judging. Mia needs to stick to what she is amazing at which is choreographing!! Bring Mary Murphy BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

7/31/2010 3:07 PM UTC

10. Mya - wrote:

How dare you vote off Billy Bell? He is such an amazing dancer, and you all know it. Judges: Every week you all said how brilliant Billy is and how he will make such an imprint in the dance world. So my question is, why did you vote him off? Especially after that wonderful solo he performed. I am just appalled at the decision you made.

8/1/2010 11:30 AM UTC

11. Justin Time - wrote:

Jose sucked big time! He was not in the same leage as the other dancers. For the judges to say he MASTERED what he did was INSANE. He mastered nothing. I almost stopped watching the show because of the way they tjudged jose, He was HORIBLE from day one and the judges kept saying he had a smile and personality. Well this is a dance show not a smile show.

8/2/2010 12:49 PM UTC

12. kathie smith - wrote:

What is with the judges drooling over Robert? He is one of the most boring dancers ever on the show. He sticks his butt out when he does ballroom and why would Adam say he out danced Dominic when Robert was on his stomach and Dominic was doing all the flips etc?Nigel last year reamed Russel about his butt in ballroom but Robert is perfection??? Most people I have talked to have said the same thing, the judges are pushing him to get votes, he’s boring!

8/4/2010 6:13 PM UTC

13. Dee - wrote:

First of all I am very said to see Jose’ go. I will miss him. I know he was not a perfect dancer but he as well as Lauren had the most growth in this entire show. I am very estatic that Billy Bell has finally gone home. He always danced the same way. And that fake injury to his leg was ridiculous. He was cleary fine enough to dance that week. Hello did anyone see him jumping up and down after they found out no one was going home. Mia is a very good choreographer but the worst judge I have ever seen. She talks such nonsence. Most times she is just flat out rude. And really why don’t they just Crown Alex the champion of next season. Cuase we all know that he would have won this season. He is almost as good of dancer as Brandon(who should have won his seaason), Joshua, Danny, and Travis(who should have won his season) Sabra and Ade’. AdeChike and Lauren y’all better bring it and one of the two of you win.

8/4/2010 6:15 PM UTC

14. Dee - wrote:

I meant to say sad to see Jose’ go. He also danced with the most passion

8/4/2010 6:17 PM UTC

15. tb - wrote:

So glad to see others agree…Mia is sooooo harsh and negative. Even when Mary didn’t like a performance, she didn’t “destroy” the dancer. Mia should stick to what she does best…choreography…and leave the judging to someone less self-centered, negative and unable to critique without destroying a persons confidence!!! She made me vote multiple times this year just to help restore Adechike’s confidence. If he listened to her, he would have given up weeks ago!

8/4/2010 6:32 PM UTC

16. Vicki - wrote:

Does anyone else think the judges (Adam slightly excused; at least he gives constructive criticism in a civil way) are WAY too harsh on Adechike? Between him and Brandon a couple of seasons ago, who was also one of the most beautiful dancers I’ve ever seen, I’m beginning to think Mia Michaels is slightly racist in her harsh criticism of these powerful, graceful and talented black dancers. Adechike is a joy to watch and while the judges seem to forgive or gloss over poor footwork and errors by the other top 4, he gets slammed every night. I feel that the judges picked their favorites at the beginning and never gave him a fair chance. Their criticism influences voters, and after watching two joyous and powerful pieces tonight by Adechike, and listening to them tear him down when it was clear to those of us watching that he WAS laying it all down, that he WAS fighting, it just reaffirms what I had started to feel weeks ago: they wanted him out. A mediocre night for Robert got rave reviews while stellar, gorgeous performances from Adechike got dissed. I’ve watched from Season 1 and I miss Mary! She at least was the voice of reason with Brandon’s amazing talent. Mia & Tyce, go home! (Mia can still choreograph; Tyce wouldn’t be missed if he never choreographed again; his choreography is boring and he obviously thinks way too much of himself).

8/4/2010 6:41 PM UTC

17. rhonda - wrote:

Mary Murphy where are you? I miss you and your excellent and professional critiques. Mia should be ashamed of her inability to speak about dance performances. Mia’s ambiguous critiques and inability to choose words are not fair to the dancers. She is insincere and obvious in her intent, especially when she made that viscious attack on Adechike followed by her underwhelming apology. I used to be Mia’s biggest fan but now I hope she’s only on the show as a choreographer. Her negativity ruins the show every week!!! Thank goodness for Adam!

8/4/2010 8:57 PM UTC

18. patricia - wrote:

advice for tyce: are you kidding me? you are turning into mia michaels which is a really terrible idea since she proved herself to be a bad, racist, way-too-personal judge this season. stay true to yourself…you used to be a strong, intelligent and responsible judge.

i’m so disappointed in this season–you all have played favoritism with kent who is not mature, not strong, not given anything challenging. and, your racism and homophobia–the final remarks for billy, my god–the best dancer you’ve ever had on the show! you really need to re-think your isms–you are playing to the lowest common denominator when dance (and the reason i want to believe you all love it) has the ability to transcend and elevate the masses…please return it to its potential and value…

on a positive note: adam rocked when he spoke of the overturn of prop 8 during his opening comments…he is turning out to be a very pleasant surprise.

8/4/2010 9:17 PM UTC

19. SAM - wrote:

7-4-10 i WAS NOT HAPPY WITH MIA’S COMMENTS ABOUT adechike
    SHE SMILED WHEN SHE GAVE COMMENTS TO LAUREN – KENT AND ROBERT BUT HAD A SERIOUS LOOK WHEN SHE GAVE adechike CRITISIM – SHE EVEN TOLD THE OTHER DANCERS SHE LOVED HIM – I THINK THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THIS – I HAVE WATCH THIS SHOW FOR YEARS BUT THIS SEASON I HAVE REALLY NOTICED SOMETHING NOT RIGHT WHEN THEY GIVE COMMENTS TO adechike – LAST NIGHT IT REALLY SHOWED ! SOMEONE NEEDS TO CHECK MIA

8/5/2010 6:41 AM UTC

8/5/2010 6:49 AM UTC

20. SAM - wrote:

THEY NEED TO REPLACE MIA – IT ALMOST SEEMS THERE IS A ISSUE BETWEEN BALCK AND WHITE DANCERS – WATCH THE NEGATIVE COMMENTS ABOUT ADECHIKE HE IS JUST AS GOOD AS KENT AND ROBERT – NOW LAUREN IS STILL THE BOMB

8/5/2010 6:51 AM UTC

21. SAM - wrote:

Mia & Tyce SHOULD BOTHLEAVE – THEY ARE BOTH SELF CENTERED AND NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR – WHAT THEY SAID LAST NIGHT WAS ALL ABOUT WHO THEY WANT TO WIN – SO THEY TRIED TO PUSH AMERICA THAT WAY – I PRAY IT DID NOT WORK THIS IS HOW FOX 2 WILL LOOSE US WATCHING THE SHOW! I AM SO MAD AND I HOPE THE PRODUCERS ARE READING THIS

8/5/2010 7:03 AM UTC

22. Maryjp Duncan - wrote:

I too have become increasingly concerned over the type of unnessarily harsh critics by some of the Judges. Particularly Mia. She is a brillian choregrapher, but these are young people who are learning as they go. Many of the criticisms should be pointed more toward the choregraphers than the dancers. The dancers are dancing what was chosen for them and are performing a routine that the choregrapher designed. It is very obvious that particulary the “ethnic” dances don’t fo over with the judges. That does not mean the dancers are necessarily at fault. Since the show that Mia ripped Adechike to threads, I have trouble with the way she talks to the dancers. The “luck of the draw” determines the dances to be danced and the choregraphers. . I also \ feel that the judges comments are very prejudicial and are many times used to influence the viewers votes. Should that be toned down. All that said this year has been breathtaking with the talent. The brilliant idea to partner the new group with the other dancers has proved to really elevate the professionalism of the dances Also I would love to see Mary back. Her judging was not only analytical but also was infused with some of her hearr. This element has been missing this year at least from Mia.

8/5/2010 11:51 AM UTC

23. annie - wrote:

the judges continue to criticize Ade. But when you look at the
    routines. His are twice as difficult and require more endurance.
    Remember two of the top leaders got injured doing routines paired
    with Ade. He has strength and ability beyond his years. I challenge
    any one of the remaining dancers to dance his routines and do them
    as well. Kent was horrible in in first dance that required strength and
    endurance. His second routine was not very challenging and neither
    was Robert’s. Give Ade credit he is the most talented dancer of the
    three males. For some reason the judges don’t like him but he dances circles around the other two. I beginning to believe there is
    more to it than meets the eye. Maybe they just don’t want him to win.

8/5/2010 1:20 PM UTC

24. Vanessa - wrote:

I agree with Vicki. They are extremely hard on Adechike. It seems like it doesn’t matter how good he dances they are so harsh on him. They send praises for every other dancer but him. I think I can recall of one time Adechike got a good review and that’s it which is very sad.
    But of course the rest of them do no wrong. I think Adechike is a wonderful dancer and does not receive the credit he deserves. The judges especially Mia are way to hard on him. Mia used to be my favorite but as a judge she is horrible.

8/5/2010 3:54 PM UTC

25. Apral - wrote:

OMG – Can you say RACIST?! Mia needs to go! She is not critiquing Adechike , she is being flat out ignorant. I do not understand how it is ok to be so nasty. Some of her comments make it seem like being athletic is a bad thing. It is sooooo obvious that she is being ridiculously harder or him than any other contestant. How can the producers let it go on week after week? Where is the NAACP when you need them? She needs to just put her white sheet over her head and be her true self! I liked her in the beginning of the season, but her fake tears and her ignorant comments have soured her exsistance.

8/5/2010 5:48 PM UTC

26. TPN - wrote:

I see that no blog has been posted yet for Adechike’s vote off from the show last night. It is so typical that I cannot even get upset anymore about these type of things. Clearly, the creators of the show had who they wanted to win in mind. Clearly, Ade was head and shoulders above the competition save Alex. But they wanted Robert to win. Just like the music industry hires people to call radio stations to request certain songs, I am sure this happens on shows like this. Whatever. For the last three seasons, a Black person has won, and the President is Black. Perhaps it is just too much flavor. Adechike will find work if it doesn’t find him first. That show doesn’t deserve a dancer of his caliber. He showed poise in his acceptance of harsh indifference as well as on the floor.

8/6/2010 1:31 AM UTC

27. Ron - wrote:

My wife, Joanie, and I are older viewers (60 years old). We enjoy the show. But the young girl with the high shrill (almost a whistle) sounds like a screaming child you wish the parents would take home so you could enjoy your meal.

I understand that the young girls yelling and screaming is part of the show, but while the contestants are dancing this one girl making this awful noise takes away from the enjoyment of warching the dancing, and clearly serves only one purpose….to draw attention to herself.

Please…Please….have a chat with this young lady or educate your audience not to make screaming shrills during the dancing. This will make the watching of your show much much better.

Regards,