WED 8/7c JUL 30

Top 8 Results

An injured Alex Wong had to leave the competition.

In a dramatic results show, injured contestant Alex Wong, 23, a Ballet dancer from Vancouver, Canada, was eliminated Thursday on So You Think You Can Dance. Unable to compete in last night’s performance show, Alex was placed in the bottom three with the two dancers who received the fewest of America’s votes: Billy Bell and Ashley Galvan. Judges Nigel Lythgoe, Mia Michaels, and Adam Shankman then announced that due to Alex’s injury, he was unable to continue in the competition and therefore eliminated.

This week’s results show also featured special performances by pop sensation Natasha Bedingfield, the cast of Broadway’s Tony Award-winning smash hit “In The Heights” and So You Think You Can Dance All-Stars Anya Garnis and Pasha Kovalev.

The competition continues next week on America’s favorite dance show when the Top 7 (Billy Bell, Kent Boyd, Lauren Froderman, Ashley Galvan, Robert Roldan, Jose Ruiz, and AdéChiké Torbert) will dance two routines – one with an All-Star partner and one with a fellow contestant – on a two-hour live performance show Wednesday, July 14 at 8/7c on FOX.

Tune in the following night, Thursday, July 15 at 9/8c, to find out which dancer will be sent home next and to see performances by singer Christina Perri, whose single “Jar of Hearts” rocketed up the iTunes charts after being featured on last week’s performance show; members of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre; and Dizzy Feet Foundation scholarship recipients Fernando Martin-Gullans and Lauren Vayser.

View photos from Season 7’s Top 8 week.

Comments

37 comments on “Top 8 Results“

1. Ja flake - wrote:

To Mia – Your apology to Adechecke?? last night was too little too late. That was only the icing on the slew of cruel zingers you sling at these taleneted kids each week. Your “tough love approach” is your excuse for venting your bottled up frustaration, probably at your own lack of talent. “Tough love” is not being cruel to someone. Mary is a much better judge than you are and is missed.

7/9/2010 9:29 AM UTC

2. Jen - wrote:

I was so dissappointed to se Alex go. He was sure to win this year! He is an amazing dancer and was able to excel in any genre given to him! SYTYCD better have Alex back next season as one of their top 10 rather than making him try out once again. i mean, come on, are you really planning on degrading his talent and accomplishments thus far and make him try out again? Alex, you will surely be missed!

7/9/2010 9:34 AM UTC

3. Dave - wrote:

Ugh, this is unfortunate. Alex was definitely the best dancer of the season. No one else even compared. Don’t think I’ll be watching the rest of the season.

7/9/2010 9:45 AM UTC

4. donna - wrote:

Mia Michaels????? To quote her….”EEWWW”, she got booed by the audience and everyone at home. GET RID OF MIA MICHAELS.

7/9/2010 10:29 AM UTC

5. Kaitlyn - wrote:

When things happen It is given for what is deserved reason but Alex did not deserve this he was the best dancer on the show!!!1
    I hope you feel better and you are my inspiration in dance you are my Idol!!!!!!!!!! God bless you!!!

7/9/2010 11:08 AM UTC

6. Gretchen - Dallas Texas - wrote:

I am so offended by the comments coming from Mia Michaels. Please get Mary Murphy back. Constructive criticism is great. But Mia is just insulting and cruel. I don’t know where here filter is, but she truly needs to re-watch the past few shows and listen to herself. She says she is Momma Mia but she is anything but a mother. Helpful, constructive. Something that will help these kids grow in their dance. Personal attacks will only hurt them and hurt the show.

7/9/2010 5:45 PM UTC

7. Imani - wrote:

I am more focused on LAUREN & KENT…that kiss made me think they r dating

7/9/2010 6:03 PM UTC

8. Lily - wrote:

Alex is one of the most inspirational dancers i have ever seen on this show and in my life. I thought that he would most definitely win the entire competition. He’s so unique and amazing. It’s a huge disappointment that he had to leave for an injury.

7/9/2010 8:40 PM UTC

9. Roslyn - wrote:

I am sad that Alex had to leave the show due to injury, but I also wonder why he’s wasting his time with this show. What is it going to do for him? He’s tried it twice and both times has had to leave without finishing – time to give it a rest, perhaps.

I felt Mia Michaels apology was lame and not very heart-felt. She might as well have said I’m getting bad press for the show and the producers have made me apologize. An apology does not come with conditions – I sorry but I made those comments to make you a better dancer – meaning I still mean what I said but I have to improve my image. Get real!

7/10/2010 10:54 AM UTC

10. june - wrote:

loved Alex and feel really sad for him as he was the best and would have won. I think Mia picks favorites and downs others. It’s too bad she can’t see this the way every one else does. Kent and Lauren keep up the good work!

7/10/2010 11:41 AM UTC

11. Roberta - wrote:

egad! is this show really about dancing…i think not. you have dancers who cant do anything but b dancing and they are somehow full of “heart” and just wonderful while the dancers who are totally awesome wind up in the bottom.

This show is not about dancing at all. It’s just a popularity contest, and im not even sure who is voting anymore.

Credibility is totally lacking.

7/10/2010 3:50 PM UTC

12. cookie - wrote:

My boyfriend and I got into SYTYCD a few years ago and have slowly started to question whether or not it is worth the space on our DVR. As this season has progressed we have gone on “Mia Micheals Strike” and fast forward everytime she speaks. We cannot bring ourselves to listen to her self-important babble, her not funny made up words and her unreasonablly cruel remarks. Yes, the dancers should be critqued, but not cut down. She’s sucked the joy of dance out of the show and I can even see that it has effected the other judges as well. Yes, Mary was loud and kooky, but at least she reminded us that dancing is supposed to be fun. I feel bad that other dancers have to go through Mia Micheals possibly pill induced idiocy. Now that Alex is gone….I don’t know if we will go on watching.

7/10/2010 7:48 PM UTC

13. Lyndsey - wrote:

I have loved this show for the last couple years, but I honestly think that the Judges, really Mia Micheals, has picked her favorites and thats it…. I really enjoyed her as a choreographer and I think that she has brought some of the best dances to the show but I think that is something that she does a lot better then the judging thing. I Understand wanting perfection however the judges idea of perfection is not what this show is about!
    I will be the first person to admit that I do not have any dancing knowledge or experience and I can’t even spell half the dance moves that they name, however I think the judges need to remember that this show is going out to the American Public and if they wanted the most techinical dancers, or the most perfect contemporary dancers to make it all the way, then they should not ask the american public to vote and call it America’s favorite dancer, they should just have the judges vote, choose a winner in 90 minuetes and save us 10 weeks of our lives. We are at the point in the season where the public is feeling touched by dancers and the ones that are not touching the public should go.
    I love Cat for listening to my shouting at the Tv and sticking up for Adecheke’s bollyword, I find him more thrilling as a dancer, very powerful and masculine versus some other judge favorites. I honestly enjoyed his bollywood performance not because it was perfect, but because it looked like he enjoyed it and he tried extremely hard. I loved Alex but making Adecheke feel as if what he did on that stage was subpar because Alex was not there was low and kinda bully on the playground!
    I find the judges comments to show too much favoritism… I miss Mary and Little C, tyce, nappy tabs, toni and Debbie Reynolds. I think the Judging portion was better before it was just Nigel, Mia & Adam. I would love to see the bollywood choreaghapher as a judge or Sonya, Mandi, Travis, just someone else!
    I love the new format and LOVE the All-stars!I love this show but I’m nervous for it! I do not think that the new format will lose viewers, I think it might be the judges that lose viewers, and honestly I might be one of them.

Also I’m a little sick of all the contemporary dancers doing contemporary; that is another aspect that I think is missing with only those 3 judges and only 1 contemporary choreographer as judge, you are missing expert opinions from other arena’s in the dance world. Did I mention I really miss Little C?

There was an overkill of contemporary dancers taken this year, and the lack of other styles is a little annoying, all contemporary dancers except Cristina, Jose and Melinda, really just makes it So you think you can dance, the contemporary dancer version… If they could figure out how to do the Allstar format but still start with 20 dancers, I think that would be good. Maybe for the first weeks the contestants dance in couples then once you get to the top 10 then the Allstar’s can come in… Im not sure how it would work but honestly the contemporary dancers, dancing to soft flowy contemporary music is a little tired.

7/10/2010 8:56 PM UTC

14. Lisa - wrote:

I miss Mary Murphy!! She needs to come back to the show. It’s not the same without her. Mia Michael needs to go as a judge.

7/11/2010 12:09 AM UTC

15. Lilith - wrote:

It was truly disappointing to hear Mia Michael’s disgusting remarks regarding Ade Chike’s performance on July 7th. Mia is totally unprofessional and I hope the producer gets her off this show. She has no class and does not know how to speak to those kids. Her favoritism is so glearing. Just imagine that in the midst of her outburst regarding Ade Chile, she says “Oh I miss Alex – he is so great!” Yes. Alex is probably the best dancer ever on the show but that was not the time to make that comment. Mia should know better and I hope the producer hauled her under the carpet for her awful and unprofessional remarks.

7/12/2010 10:27 AM UTC

16. sabrina - wrote:

Oh and one more thing…. Kudos to Cat Deeley for sticking up for Adechike. She was so right to call out the judges. She has earned my respect more now than ever.

7/12/2010 11:40 AM UTC

17. Ryan - wrote:

Mia is soooooo tired, WE WANT MARY BACK!!!!! PLEASE BRING MARY BACK!!!!

7/12/2010 12:37 PM UTC

18. Greg Gil - wrote:

Mia & Adam are great at what they do but none of the regular choreographers OR Adam are stable enough to be consistent judges. Like many artists, they are just too emotional about their work. Just look at what Mia did to AdéChiké this week. I felt so embarrassed to be watching such mean spirited behavior. And Adam who sometimes (since he is pulling anchor) levels out the criticism and tries to make sense of it all, just poured salt on the wound. FOX should have never let Mary Murphy leave. She is missed every single week!

7/12/2010 3:16 PM UTC

19. Robyn - wrote:

Go Kent! You are adorable…..can’t wait to see what happens this week!

7/12/2010 3:37 PM UTC

20. Andre - wrote:

Mia Michaels NEEDS TO GO!!!! She is a terrible judge and very hurtful. Her comments to AdeChike were appauling and disgusting. Picking on him will not take away all of the years of you being “picked on” in junior high Mia! Grow up!… PLEASE, PLEASE Nigel BRING MARY MURPHY BACK..

7/12/2010 7:02 PM UTC

21. Aaliyah - wrote:

first bigups to everyone that stood up for Adechike & the horrible bashing he’s been getting week after week from mostly Mia. he tries so hard & is a talented dancer, i hope that he’s had a chance to read all the positive love & feedback that the public have been giving him.

the comments seemed even more shoddy & biased after he performed his heart out and was followed by Robert’s not-so-smooth partner dance (the choreography was good & no offense to Robert, but it was a choppy performance). Mia gushed over him as one of her faves because she’s worked with him in the past, but his timing was very off. then Adechike comes out there and adds his own flavour, which they told him to do & he gets slammed ! not cool !

7/12/2010 8:31 PM UTC

22. melchory - wrote:

At first we are so prostrated that we can’t vote here in (canada) and now ….so disappointed that Alex won’t be able to dance this time competition. He is such an incredible dancer. We long every week to see him dance and we even taped it to watch it again and share with our friends…. we hope and pray that he will get well soon. can’t wait to see him next time….. anyway jose and lauren still there so i think i still gonna watch…… just wish to see katie dance more…. she is the best female dancer i have ever seen….. she got everything a dancer needs to implement while dancing… WHAT A SUNSHINE…… and Cat is the BEST show host ever…. very intelligent and fun …

7/12/2010 10:52 PM UTC

23. melchory - wrote:

We hope that Alex just go straight to the top 10 next year. He is too much to join the audition. I guess its a waist of time as he is already an dancer outstanding….grrrrr….. sorry guys everyone here is so frustrated…….

7/12/2010 11:45 PM UTC

24. Val - wrote:

Agree with all you guys. Mia should go, (she is full of herself) and there should be at least 4 judges (where is Mary?)
    Not too crazy about his year’s format.
    Kudos to Kat for playing the devil’s advocate.

7/13/2010 9:59 AM UTC

25. pammy - wrote:

I would like to say that I think Mia Michaels is being racist towards the only black male on the show and I do not like her attitude at all, she always has something negative to say about him even Kat knows that.

7/13/2010 9:18 PM UTC

26. carys - wrote:

Do you remember how much Mia hated Brandon? She couldn’t stand his self confidence and his tremendous ability. She got over it, though. Perhaps she will get over this one too. I hope so. I would like to see some healing, but it’s not going to happen on camera, it’s going to come from within.

7/14/2010 9:05 AM UTC

27. barie - wrote:

I was so happy to see Mia come back,because her creativity and talent is AMAZING. I absolutely love the work that she does…BUT…..Isn’t there a better way to give the dancers the constructive criticism they need?? Her comments on the air make us all feel uncomfortable. Adam you are really my favorite judge this season, love your personality!

7/14/2010 9:06 PM UTC

28. patricia - wrote:

why is kent a darling. his partner, the all star made him look like an intermediate jazz dancer. billy, on the other hand–has been handed choreography far outside his genre week after week and performed beautifully and brilliantly and you seem to nit-pick him consistently as if you want the audience to vote for kent or jose. kent is phony and one-dimensional. jose is lovely but needs work. billy has earned high marks and you are all keeping him from it–particularly nigel. why? you have done a great job of teaching the U.S. to look at dance but you are blowing it this season.

7/14/2010 9:37 PM UTC

29. Monica K - wrote:

I concur with the idea of having Little C, Tyce, and others rotate onto the judges panel once in awhile. Not only do I value their opinions but they’re cute and bring a different point of view. I do think that the judges might have favorites but they are pretty direct about itl My guess is that they are trying to fight for the people who are the BEST dancers and not necessarily the FAVORITE.

7/14/2010 10:02 PM UTC

30. Kristi - wrote:

I love this show and have loved it for all of its seasons. However, I’m getting so disgusted by how easy the judges are on Jose. GIVE JOSE SOMETHING HARD TO DO, LIKE THE JIVE OR SALSA, AND HOLD HIM TO THE SAME EXPECTATIONS THAT YOU DO THE OTHER DANCERS. The judges are being unfairly biased towards him. He seems lovely, but his dance skills are nowhere near where they need to be–and he’s not a Legacy or Ivan or even Dominic. Please keep it real, judges of my beloved show.

7/15/2010 2:50 PM UTC

31. Meeks - wrote:

To Nigel–Ok seriously????!!!! Like wtf, why is it now that you decided that throwing your leg up and only doing leg tricks is bad? is it because billy bell did them? I have seen dancers for years and for seasons on this show do tricks involving incredible leg extension. why is it that you decide that it’s wrong to do them as soon as billy bell does them??? I honestly think you have something against billy bell. SERIOUSLY! you add a 6th spot for boys so that billy gets to be on it and then all you’ve done this season is criticize the crap out of him. billy bell is an incredible dancer and as an emerging choreographer and a senior in the dance dept. of UNCG, I would love to work with billy and choreograph on him. he is a beautiful and amazingly talented artisit. Nigel, you are lucky and blessed to have him on your show.

7/15/2010 6:24 PM UTC

32. Dave J Reep - wrote:

After watching the results tonight something strikes me as odd ….Jose is really not a great dancer nor is he as Nigel says “growing” well into other styles like many of the others are..He is a nice guy and likeable but I do not get how Nigel was suggesting tonight that Billy dancing for his life in his style was not good when Jose does the hip hop routine and is praised…of all the dancers Billy has grown tremendously. Last night I submit of all the routines danced he was the best and the most entertaining. We all know Kent is miraculous and that Robert is wonderful but Billy gets so picked on when he really is a great dancer. Hip Hop and charm are fine but don’t eliminate a great dancer to save a mediocre one ever or you’ll lose the credibility of the show…If you look back on all the past seasons no MEDIOCRE dancers ever won the competition so I am just saying, nice, charming, but lacking in talent is not winning…They all have charm and are nice so to me it’s a level playing field personality wise. By the way tonight’s opening group dance by Tyce was perfection by all..In particular Mark and Ade are beyond great…I love seeing them this year again…It makes me want to see the tour again. I know they are coming to KC, MO again this fall…I may just have to get out the tee shirt I got 3 years ago and plan to go again.

7/15/2010 6:49 PM UTC

33. Dave J Reep - wrote:

p.s. Cat Deeley , you are the perfect antedote to the Judges and you are delicious as well on your own.

7/15/2010 6:54 PM UTC

34. Darren - wrote:

I saw Patricia write “kent is phony and one-dimensional” Excuse me but Billy is phony and one dimensional he reminds me of a smarmy used car salesman, so unbelievable. The reason why no one is voting for him. As the show continues he is going to get less votes because no matter what the judges save him so why would anyone vote for him. I dont know why they even have people vote if they are not going to listen.

7/15/2010 7:51 PM UTC

35. TMMAC - wrote:

Let me start out by saying THIS IS NOT A NEGATIVE POST. My family and I LOVE to huddle around the TV and watch this show. We love the arts and the dancers that have participated on the show since Season 3 when we discovered the show. We have enjoyed hours and hours of amazing free entertainment. For that we are grateful. What I want to talk about is the results show on Thursday nights. During tonights show Ashley was eliminated due to an unfortunate injury. We were all sad about that because she was a family favorite. Immediately after the announcement that she would be leaving the show, Kat asked her if she felt bad about the news. OF COURSE SHE DID, DUH! Let’s milk those emotions for ratings??? I hope not. It makes no sense to end these kids stay on the show on a low note. Why not ask her what her favorite moment was??? or Favorite number. Every Thursday elimination seems to end with overly emotional dancers crying and hugging. Is there a chance that I can make a plea to keep this show positive?? I would rather not tune in every Thursday for what we are starting to call a nationally televised funeral. Tune in next week to see who feels bad and has their heart crushed. Don’t miss a second of tear filled sadness on So You Think You Can Cry….. Let’s lift it up FOX. This Country needs positivity….. PLEAS.
    A note to the contestants. You all rock, you are on National TV. Be proud of what you have accomplished. No need to cry…. (so much)

7/15/2010 8:29 PM UTC

36. patricia - wrote:

we are ready to stop watching this show. billy is like a young baryshnikov. why can’t nigel simply say (after his solo): “brilliant, that is why we picked you for this show” instead of making stupid sounding comments that don’t mean anything. let’s see anyone do the same. anyone. that fall to the roll to standing up…standing up!!! was impossible and more difficult and exciting than any trick jose did following. then watching kent hug every single dancer who exits the stage so he makes sure he gets his mug in the camera is just so transparently immature and self-serving. do you all think that we are as stupid as all that. i’ve been in the dance community my entire life and i’ve enjoyed your show because you are bringing dance the visibility it needs–but you are losing your integrity and frankly, i’d rather no one care about dance than think dance is the limited, simplistic version this season is turning out to endorse. you are teaching dancers to try to be homecoming kings and queens–celebrities rather than artists. (not to mention the underlying racism that is getting difficult to stomach). return to the integrity you’ve shown in the past and the concern i know you share for the art form…please, or we’ll all have to stop watching.

7/15/2010 9:38 PM UTC

37. Stephanie - wrote:

Alex has to come back next season!!! There are no ‘if’s, and’s, or but’s” about it! He’s one of the best dancers the show has seen. It’s a travesty that America was robbed of the opportunity to watch and vote Alex’s performances into the final two this season. At the very least he should be a regular “All-Star.”

To take a line from the Ally Bank commercials: America shouldn’t have to pay the penalty for wanting to ride Alex’s bike out of this seasons red box!

7/20/2010 2:31 PM UTC