ALL NEW / **TWO-HOUR SEASON FI...
WED 8/7c SEP 3

Catching Up with Toni Redpath

Toni Redpath joined the judges' panel in Vegas.

Choreographer and Vegas judge Toni Redpath created some memorable dances during the first three seasons of So You Think You Can Dance. You saw her recently on Season 7’s Vegas week, so we asked Toni to catch us up to speed.

Since her time on SYTYCD, Toni has had a very hectic schedule in the ballroom world. “It’s mostly from my exposure on So You Think You Can Dance. People saw that I do choreography and they started booking me for world championships and other events,” Toni revealed. “It’s been an amazing experience and I’ve been able to create my first World Champions, which is very exciting. It takes a lot of my energy but I have it under control again and can fit in So You Think You Can Dance, which is great because this world inspires the heck out of me. I feel like the first time I came into this world it was a shock to me; it was overwhelming and it was so fast. I’m used to choreographing and having time to let it mature. With this show, you’ve got six hours at the most. You have two hours to show them the choreography, two hours to work on it, and two hours to get it ready to go live to millions of people, and that just blew me away, but I’ve learned so much from it. My expectations of the couples in my world have changed. I have much lower tolerance for not picking up choreography quickly.”

Toni was a waltz choreographer on previous seasons of Dance, but she choreographed a spicy Cha Cha for Season 7 auditions in Vegas. “My husband and I competed in the Ballroom section not the Latin section, so that’s what we specialized in, but I was trained in Latin. That was what I was brought up doing, so I just felt like getting back to a skin that was really comfortable.”

Watch Toni’s Vegas Cha Cha.

Comments

6 comments on “Catching Up with Toni Redpath“

1. donna - wrote:

Only one thing to say….Get rid of Mia Michaels.

7/9/2010 10:27 AM UTC

2. Reena - wrote:

Why was Toni yelling at the contestants and barking at them like a dog when she was trying to teach them choreography? Why couldn’t she be like Tabitha? Just because she was a judge, it doesn’t give her the right to do that. When she started out as a dancer, did she have teachers do that to her? I don’t think so. What gives her the right to yell and scream like a lunatic? The same concept applies to Mia Michaels. I’m certain she didn’t become a great dancer/choreographer by having people beat her down with cruel remarks. Get off your high horse, ladies. Think back to when you started out as dancers and be humble, grateful, and kind. With that in mind, get rid of Mia, Adam, and Toni!

7/9/2010 5:29 PM UTC

3. RandR88 - wrote:

I like Toni…and dancers are accustomed to barking choreographers when they’re being taught a routine. That’s how it goes Reena. Don’t confuse that with MM’s highly personal and grade-school level insults. Strong critique, firm and demanding instruction, and brutally honest assessments are all part of the dance world. Mia Michael’s comments are none of those things. They are scattered, subjective, and ego-driven. Adam’s comments are just bizarre and completely devoid of substance.

7/10/2010 12:17 PM UTC

4. Reena - wrote:

RandR88, did you see Tabitha barking as well? My point exactly. Trust me, I’m not confusing her with MM’s insults.

7/11/2010 11:13 PM UTC

5. ~Flow~ - wrote:

Toni & Mia know their stuff. Sure the judges could praise them constantly & gently stroke their ego’s ~ but would the dancers really benefit from such fake BS? None of the dancers are mature, and none of them have reached their potential ~ they need to hear the hard truth if they really want to be professional dancers. But perhaps the occasional ‘pie in the face’ for the judges would keep *their* ego’s in check as well :P

7/13/2010 3:43 AM UTC

6. LR - wrote:

PLEASE Nigel, do not have MIA or Tyce on the judging panel. I think many people that are fans of the show agree. They are great choreographers but not as judges. They make me want to change the channel. What you are doing is so wonderful with Dizzy Feet foundation and the show is one of my favorites. I have been a fan since season 1. I use to love Mia’s work until I seen her personality, I actually looked forward to seeing her routines. Now she is so annoying by her dramatic ways, and expresses what she sees so annoying. Tyce is the same way. It makes your audience feel disconnected to the show and like it is “dancer talk” or coming from some place we don’t get. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Perhaps having other professional credible dancers offer their views would be ok. Nigel, you are wonderful and have truely been blessed with a way of communicating, you make the judging panel successful and worth watching. Please do not ruin it by bringing “drama” queens and kings up there with you. Thank you for letting me vent here. I almost want to change the channel over this.

8/4/2010 11:15 PM UTC