ALL NEW / **TWO-HOUR SEASON FI...
WED 8/7c SEP 3

Alex Wong’s SYTYCD Journey

Alex Wong soared through the first 3 weeks of the competition before becoming injured.

Season 7 contestant Alex Wong has never landed in the bottom three, yet he was eliminated from So You Think You Can Dance on Thursday after sustaining a lacerated Achilles. The ballet dancer was very saddened by the news that he’d have to leave the show to have surgery, but he has no regrets about his journey. We caught up with Alex on a conference call the morning after his elimination to learn more about his SYTYCD experience and his season-ending injury.

As Executive Producer and Judge Nigel Lythgoe shared the news that Alex had to leave the competition for surgery, he said that the dancer can come back next season, assuming he feels better. Alex has high hopes about coming back. “We have to wait and see what’s going on with my injury, and hopefully I can continue,” he said. “[Coming back] is definitely something I look forward to. I feel like I haven’t finished my journey and there’s so much more to learn. It is appealing for me to come back…I think it all depends on what happens from here. I’m on the surgery table on Tuesday, and there’s a long recovery process from here. I’m gonna go with the flow and see what happens when the time comes.” Alex doesn’t feel like his So You Think You Can Dance journey ends here. “I feel like I’ve accomplished a lot of what I want to do, but it isn’t finished. I had a few great weeks but it’s not enough.” If Alex decides to try out again, he will get to go straight to Vegas week, but then he’ll have to audition in Vegas for a spot on the show just like all of the other hopefuls.

After receiving the bad news from the doctor on Wednesday night, Alex knew he’d be leaving the competition. “It was a long couple days. I had such an amazing journey and I’m so grateful for everything that’s happened. Everything happens for a reason and I just have to keep my chin up.”

The ballet dancer has always made it clear that he’s coming on the show to learn different styles. In the short time he was on the show, he mastered a lot of new genres, but what were his favorite styles to learn? “Hip Hop and Bollywood. It’s really crazy, but that’s what I came to do. I came to learn all these different styles. To get such good feedback from the judges is just like the cherry on top. I really enjoyed those so much.”

Alex was really upset about leaving the show and he said that the hardest part is leaving the contestants. They’ve all become close friends and he feels lucky for experiencing the show with them.

After the Miami City Ballet wouldn’t release Alex to Season 5’s Top 20, Alex came back this season and has reached a whole new level of exposure. “It amazes me every single day…people all over the street recognize us. I’m very happy because dance is such a big part of my life and So You Think You Can Dance has brought dance back to the public eye.”

We wish Alex a speedy recovery and hope to see him dancing again in no time!

Watch Alex’s extremely memorable Hip Hop dance with tWitch again and again.

Comments

90 comments on “Alex Wong’s SYTYCD Journey“

1. Raymonda Dennis - wrote:

I am also disappointed to see Alex leave due to injury; he is a brilliant dancer and I hope as well he returns next season. As for Mia Michaels, her comments to the dancers are too cruel and mean spirited. If you remember, this is not the first time she was mean to a contestant. She made a hateful comment to Brandon as well a couple of seasons ago; and her comments are the kind that are deep wrenching and I am sure do not go away. I do not understand how Nigel can continue to allow her to sit and pass such piercing comment to dancers who are learning and trying to improve their art in a totally new environment and in front of millions of viewers. Is this the kind of tone he wants to set and send across America? Perhaps she needs to take a break again or just stick to choreography and leave the judging to the true professionals who are sensitive and really do care about the development of the dancer. NOLA51

7/10/2010 6:49 PM UTC

2. ~Flow~ - wrote:

Hello

I’m an Australian fan, and I prefer the US show as opposed to the Australian show.

Firstly, I love the new format! I was getting bored last season, so please keep mixing it up Mr Nigel, you’re audience loves change and originality!

It was sad to see Alex leave the show due to injury – he is such a passionate dancer, and I’m sure he’s now more determined and inspired than ever before.

Moving forward, I would personally love to see Kent dance lyrical with Tabitha (the choreographer). Perhaps that would help him become a man?

I would also love to see Billy dance contemporary with Katie (All Star)

And I want to see Nigel tap with Melinda!

Oh, and I think someone should choreograph a Michael Jackson Tribute.

@ Raymonda Dennis ~ I understand your comments about Mia. However, Mia works in the real world of Dance – she knows exactly what she is talking about. Mia only pushes the dancers so that they can get better. Sure, it’s great having Mary scream and praise the dancers, Mary can be rather entertaining, but once in a while, someone needs to be harsh and give the dancers a reality check, otherwise they’ll get caught up in the hype of Mary’s screams, and they won’t grow or improve. Love you Mia, and Love you Mary (you crazy Texan ~ I’m assuming she’s from Texas)

Love the show ~ keep mixing it up!

~Flow

7/11/2010 12:07 AM UTC

3. Lisa - wrote:

I agreee Mia needs to go as a judge. We want Mary Murphy back. The show isn’t the same without her.

7/11/2010 12:14 AM UTC

4. NewViewer - wrote:

This is my first season and I’m really enjoying it. I must, however, echo the comments about Mia’s lack of professionalism in her “critique” of Adechike. If there is really an option to move her off the judges panel, I think that would be a good move. And her apology was almost worse. It’s like she read the blogs and said “uh oh, I screwed up.” To quote Jane Austen, “Badly done, Mia. Badly done.”

7/11/2010 7:52 AM UTC

5. claudia - wrote:

I’m sorry to see Alex go too as he is wonderful to watch…but sometimes things just aren’t meant to be don’t you think? I saw him when he tried out for the show the first time, then couldn’t be released from his contract with the Miami ballet company he danced with. And then, this injury….. hopefully something he will and can recover from completely. Now Nigel says he’s welcome back next season. I don’t know Alex…IS the 3rd time the charm?…maybe your greatness lies in another direction?………

7/11/2010 8:33 AM UTC

6. Critique - wrote:

Mia Michaels, Mia Michaels, Mia Michaels, and this is not a good thing. You have such a “holier than thou” arrogance about you that is cruel, bitter and almost feels like you are jealous of the performers. Your behavior as a judge is embarrassing to view due to your lack of tack, lack of descriptive vocabulary, (donut holes), and your favoritism is so glaring that it’s hard to believe you are an impartial judge. about the bollywood routine:
    ” Adechike, it seemed so african,.” He IS african. Alex wong seemed very asian at times with his kung-foo leaps and kicks but you praised him. And of course your very favorite dancer Lauren with the “nice butt” can’t do anything wrong. You must be attractive to Mia Michaels if you want any of her attention. I’d like to see some honesty and reality come from Mia Michaels instead of a performance from the sidelines.(dancing during Ashley’s hip-hop performance?) Get off your pedestal, have a loving, open, accepting heart, and try not to be a closed off judge. Fall in love. It will help. Congratulations to ADECHIKE! I wasn’t a voter until now! Go Adechike!!!

7/11/2010 3:22 PM UTC

7. Melanie - wrote:

Boooooooooo Mia Michaels!

7/11/2010 3:30 PM UTC

8. Lidiane - wrote:

I love Alex and I know he’ll be better soon…he’s in my prayers. I’m from Brazil and I think he’s the best dancer ever on SYTYCD. I wish I could see him with another great dancer from the show, like Katee…
    I don’t want to watch this season anymore…he was the best there. I hope he knows that he has fans in other countries…in Brazil you have at least two, Alex…my sister and I love what you do and we are looking forward to watching you dancing again. You’re really special, talented and charismatic. God bless you!

7/11/2010 7:26 PM UTC

9. Shelby - wrote:

That is sooooo unfair!!!!!!!!!!! ALEX IS THE BEST DANCER TO COME ACROSS THE STAGE FROM ANY SEASON!!!!!!!!!! there are magically new rules this year? what? Nigel, is there seriously nothing you can do? i was balling watching him be sent home. Can you at least make it so that he automatically makes it to the top 20 or top whatever you guys have next season?? P.S. what happened yo mary murphy? i miss the hot tamle train ):

7/11/2010 8:28 PM UTC

10. Shelby - wrote:

Oh ya also, I love Mia, she is a wonderful coreographer, but that’s just it, she needs to be making the dances, not judging the dancers. I missed her coreogrpahy last season and was excited to see her back this year, but she’s still not coreographing………. Bring back Mary, no disrespect to Mia

7/11/2010 8:32 PM UTC

11. carm - wrote:

I think Mia M. should be dropped as judge, and Mary Murphy returned as Judge, her website is ful of posts of people who wrote to her to say they miss her on the show, I miss her also, please ask her back, Mary did not cause a drop in your ratings she is too well liked

7/11/2010 10:29 PM UTC

12. Reena - wrote:

I will miss Alex. He is an incredible dancer. Why did it have to happen to him? He did take a risk in leaving the Ballet Company, but at least he was able to experience what he was looking for even though it was short lived.

7/11/2010 11:21 PM UTC

13. ~Flow~ - wrote:

I’ve enjoyed the judging panel this season. However, it might be a good idea to have a guest judge each show ~ to keep it fresh. Would love to see Mary as a guest judge, especially at this point in the competition…but sitting next to Mia *heart*

7/12/2010 1:52 AM UTC

14. roberta - wrote:

What is wrong with Mia Michaels? She is VERY rude and insensitive. Where is Mary Murphy? I’ll take her screaming over Mia’s rudeness. She has been this way for the last few years. I wish she was off the show. Her choreography is weird and we can just do without her. Show would be an improvement.

7/12/2010 4:38 AM UTC

15. roberta - wrote:

I am heartbroken about Alex. I know he would have won. He is the most talented dancer I have ever seen. I think next season he should go right into the top 10! He deserves this and more. Alex, hope you know you are in everyone’s hearts and prayers.

7/12/2010 4:41 AM UTC

16. Sandy - wrote:

Pasha is the hottest guy on summer tv. The only person hotter year round is Maks from Dancing With The Stars. I say “Pasha EVERY season.”

7/12/2010 7:12 AM UTC

17. Tanya - wrote:

Alex – Saw you dance with Miami City Ballet and was thrilled to see you make the show. Knew you would be bringing some rather phenomenal performances to the stage. Before Florida, I lived in Portland OR and kept season tickets to the ballet. Mostly because of James Canfield’s amazing directorship (he’s now with the Nevada Ballet). Your dance would have fit so well with his cutting-edge take on even the most classic of ballet. May you heal quickly. The dance world needs you!

7/12/2010 7:51 AM UTC

18. ladyphoenix - wrote:

Alex will alway be known for the HipHop w Twitch. Over 91k views of the video. Get well Alex & see you next year. I am sure you will join Travis as a choregrapher one day. Talent like your comes once in a lifetime :)

7/12/2010 9:38 AM UTC

19. Jolene E. Neeny - wrote:

Alex was my favorite! It is very sad to me and friends who are his fans also that he was injured. I feel almost certain that he would have won the competition because of his spirit, talent and strength.
    However, Mia Michael’s comment on how much she missed Alex in the middle of her (erroneous) criticism of Atacheke implying that he was disposable was tacky and cruel. Shame n her.

7/12/2010 11:12 AM UTC

20. emma - wrote:

Alex was an inspiration to my 8 yr old daughter, I have never seen her cry about a show before!!!
    We also think Mia should stick to choreography!! We miss our HOT TAMALE TRAIN!!!

7/12/2010 11:14 AM UTC

21. tb - wrote:

Good luck with the surgery and a quick recovery Alex! I hope to see you next season because we have not had a chance to see you compete to the fullest this season. I think the show is not the same without you.
    Good luck. please come back!!!!!!

7/12/2010 11:43 AM UTC

22. sabrina - wrote:

Alex has an amazing phenomenal talent that puts him above and beyond most dancers. I cannot wait to see him next year. MUCH LOVE to you!! Travis and Danny had that same talent for me when they were contestants on the show during their seasons. With that being said, the remaining contestants on the show are so talented!! You can obviously see where Alex has the training but the potential of others who haven’t had the same training is endless. I love Adechike, Billy, Robert, Lauren, Kent, Ashley and Jose for so many different reasons other than just talent; they all embody so much within themselves that makes the package to me. I think that Mia should step down as a judge, she doesn’t critique well to me. Not to mention her heartless comments (and apology) but her literal butchering of the english language to make up her own words is not at all worth listening too. It was cruel what she said to Adechike and obvious where her favortism lies. Rather than ripping away at a person’s dignity or trying to influence the audience’s voting choice, just give real constructive advise that can be useful. Can we get some other judges each week? Debbie, Little C, even Travis? How about a judge who actually knows the type of choregraohy (like the bollywood choregrapher or a dancer to judge the work of bollywood the week it is on?)

7/12/2010 1:35 PM UTC

23. Carrie - wrote:

I just don’t understand… how is it that Mia Michaels can sit there one night and act horrible and then sit there the next day all smiles about her EMMY nod. What is wrong with this show. Sorry Alex to post this on here…. YOU are awesome by the way. Nigel made the comment last Wednesday that he went online and has been reading what people have been saying… have you read anything lately there Nigel? Because it seems to me that if you had, then you would not be sitting next to Mia congratulating her for anything and yucking it up with her. As the producer of this show you have a responsibility. The woman is offensive. CLEARLY I am not alone in this belief. Although, when the public developed an opinion about Robert, you decided to collectively slap us on the hand as if that was part of your job. I have always loved this show. Until now. The format, the judges, the voting. Don’t fix what’s not broken. I will no longer be watching this program. Mia’s did not seem the least bit sorry for what she did. All she tried to do was justify herself, all while having her smug little grin on her face. I’m done.

7/12/2010 2:08 PM UTC

24. aubiedancing - wrote:

Alex, if you read this please know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of so many people, including mine. I am so sorry that you suffered such an injury and I am praying for your complete recovery. I am also sorry for me and all of your fans – it is our loss and you will be greatly missed. You are an amazing dancer and in my opinion, the best that has ever danced on SYTYCD – and I have seen them all. There have been so many good dancers, but you set a new standard. The best dancers don’t always win because “America’s favorite dancer” is not always the most talented, yet they entertain and connect with many people through dance. I believe you would have won because you have it all. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you dance in the future.

7/12/2010 2:19 PM UTC

25. anne - wrote:

i know i will miss alex so much. he is a great dancer and will hopefully be able to overcome this injury. mia micheals is mean. i think she needs to think about her wording. i wouldn’t mind if she left but i think her imput is important. i am a VERY younge dancer and know that choreographers are not suger coating type of poeple. what i think was horrible was that she told melinda that it was a mistake that she was there. how horrible it would be to think you were not wanted at all?

7/12/2010 3:09 PM UTC

26. Katie - wrote:

Alex is the best technical dancer SYTYCD has ever had. That is why they cant include ballet in the format – most dancers lack the technique and training and it would be no fun to watch. (although I think they had a very good pas de deux once but it was not strictly classical ballet) On the other big issue on the forum: I LOVE mia michaels (although I do not agree with her take on Adechike). I think she is a genius choreographer and very amusing. What I think everyone is really missing is the exuberant, effusive love that Mary brought to the table. When Nigel begins his reviews, for me, it ruins my buzz from the dance. Hes so dry and practical, it really brings me down. I’d rather not be sobered up so quickly. I want to be excited, I want to gush, I want someone like mary. Maybe if Adam started the reviews, the raw emotion would be carried over. What I always loved about the show was the emotional experience. I used to cry every episode. I think the judges, rather than the dancers are inhibiting that for me now. Lets hope for improvement.

7/12/2010 5:46 PM UTC

27. Shirley - wrote:

Mia Michaels is a brilliant.choreographer. I was stunned by how she spoke to Adecheke last week. It’s hard to see another side of someone you deeply respect, someone whose choreography brings tears, joy. It makes me think that she is caught up in her own brilliance, which is very sad. I was thrilled to hear that Mia would be a full time judge this year as I thought her skill would bring professionalism to the judging. Not so.

7/12/2010 5:57 PM UTC

28. Katie - wrote:

Dance fanatic: word…they should pay. Those flexed split jumps are asking for injury. Why are they so obsessed with bollywood? there is no soul in it! Im glad A gave it an african dance swing!

7/12/2010 6:03 PM UTC

29. Katie - wrote:

Deb eaf: Ditto on the quick step. The only time I like ballroom is when it’s not ballroom: i.e. not in that stiff hold and those exaggerated expressions most of the time. I change the channel almost every time. I’d be happy with only avant-garde dances (those are the only memorable ones anyway) However, I am just happy that the show has provided a venue for SOME innovative dance.

7/12/2010 6:12 PM UTC

30. goatie888 - wrote:

I can’t believe Alex is gone I thought he would win the season. I won’t watch the show anymore especially with the current judges. Please please please bring back Mary – she’s so professional, so constructive and honest – she brings the energy to the show. Please please please no more Mia Michaels her judgements are not consistent, lost for words and sometime mean too. They are not constructive. Adam is also inconsistent with his criticisms and very similar to Mia’s. Please for diversity & integrity of the show sake, bring back Mary Murphy!!!!!!! She’s really smart & accurate with her criticisms and judgements

7/13/2010 4:55 AM UTC

31. carys - wrote:

Having read the recent blogs, following the Mia controversy and agreeing with the general consensus, I just read a blog in her defense that she needed to be that way to get results. I do not agree.
    She sensed a vulnerability in Adechike and took full advantage of it, in front of the entire country and she is paying for it now. Someone else
    suggested she was jealous of the dancers, which is entirely possible
    (think Simon Cowell). She was not able to have a dance career herself and is a dancer by remove. The fact that the panel began arguing about Adechike before Kat took control was very destructive.
    Why would a panel of distinguished judges need to get so caught up over one contestant? Adechike is a brilliant dancer who needs someone on his side before he gets butchered. I can relate to this and it upsets me horribly watching the scenario get played out. I hope Adechike has the internal strength to keep pushing ahead. It will be a tragedy if this gets in the way of his dancing. Just look at his solo-he has not had the easiest of lives I perceive, and therefore needs to develop a strong belief in himself. Vulnerability in others
    frequently leads to abuse. I understand that so well. He saw himself as an underdog, which thankfully Sonya corrected. He was afraid I think, to show the judges his solo in Vegas, which is why he did tap.
    He is a magical dancer by and perhaps has suffered at the hands of
    other jealous teachers and choreographers. Glad I wrote this. It has
    given me a totally new perspective of the situation. I hope both
    Adechike and Mia might read this and learn from it. I think I am right on. I am a visual artist so I think I have a good take on this from my own experience. This show is my whole world right now-I’ve been watching and taping since season two and it seems to me that this is the best it’s ever been. The level of talent, particularly last week, is incredible. I feel those dancers move, Billy can get hold of me with a single gesture and I’m hooked. Sorry Alex, about your injury. You have been incredible and like Billy, last year, we will have to wait for your return. I’m going to get busy now on learning NappyTabs routine. Mia,
    your choreography is tremendous and I loved the “heaven” piece last week. More please!

7/13/2010 9:38 AM UTC

32. Emma - wrote:

I am a big fan of SYTYCD. I felt so sorry for Alex. I hope Nigel will make it an exception to have him back in the top 20 next season. He definitely deserves it.

7/13/2010 10:35 AM UTC

33. Alice Blackman - wrote:

I think Alex Won is a wonderful dancer!! My son use to dance with him at Miami City Ballet. But Alex should not be in this competition because he is a “professional dancer” and has been for many many years. I thought this competition was for dancers that haven’t gone “professional” and was looking for a break into the industry. Alex should be one of the dancers that helps the other dancers perform their routine on stage…not a competitor!

7/14/2010 3:18 PM UTC

34. Alice Blackman - wrote:

Also, I think the Judges (especially Mia Michaels) should not compare other hard working dancers on the show to Alex Wong. That’s a very unprofessional thing to do. These dancers are working their butts off each week on their dances to perform and get votes…why bias the TV audience by comparing them to a professional ballet dancer… and for Ms. Michaelss to say “I wish Alex was dancing this bollywood dance because he would really dance it well” was bias and extremely unprofessional as a judge.

7/14/2010 3:24 PM UTC

35. Helan - wrote:

These dancers are all AMAZING!!! They are so talented and have such great personalities. They will all succeed no matter who wins! I loooooove this show!

7/14/2010 7:38 PM UTC

36. Monica K - wrote:

On a different note, when (not IF) Alex returns perhaps Melissa from Season 5 could come on for a ballet number. We (my daughter and I watch together) loved Melissa and she was able to perform so many other dances … like Alex. We can’t wait for Alex to get better and see him dancing again.
    Question – will he be able to join the tour?

7/14/2010 9:53 PM UTC

37. rena - wrote:

will alex have to audition? not like it matters, hes too good to not make it through auditions

7/15/2010 11:46 AM UTC

38. Judy - wrote:

Love watching Alex dancing. God sends speed healing to his injury and be able to come back to dance more next season.

7/16/2010 9:11 PM UTC

39. Julie - wrote:

Alex you are an inspiration to all of us. I wish you a quick, speedy, painless recovery and hope to see you in SYTYCD next season!!

7/20/2010 8:18 PM UTC

40. Anita LaCagnina - wrote:

Alex, your routine with Twitch was so impressive that my four year old grandson, Dominic, and I watch it repeatedly. Not only that, He wants to meet you desparately. He said he wants you to teach him how to hip hop like that. He watches the video and really gives a great attempt to learn the routine.

Cudos to you for appealing to kids as young as four to adults close to sixty.

We pray for your speedy recovery and the remote possibilty of meeting you.

7/28/2010 6:27 AM UTC