WED 8/7c JUL 30

The Top 11 Tell All

SYTYCD Season 7 Top 11

After the Top 11 dancers found out they were on Season 7 of So You Think You Can Dance, they moved to Los Angeles and took part in a press day of photos and interviews. We caught up with each dancer and they opened up about how they’re feeling, what they’re nervous about, and what they want the fans to know about them.

How does it feel to be in your shoes?

ADECHIKE: I am pumped! It’s my first time in L.A. and my first time on the west coast. I’m the only New Yorker here so it feels good, man. I’m here to represent my entire city. I’m nothing but excited. I’m a little sore though. They had me doing some crazy jumps earlier, but I’m feeling good, man! The photos are great, the interviews have been fun, and I’m on such a high right now.

ALEX: I’m really, really, really excited just because I feel like today is the start of everything. And we’re getting this crazy treatment today – like going in and doing wardrobe, having them dress you, cut your hair, do your makeup. The photo shoots were so amazing. I’m overwhelmed; this is just so surreal to be here and I’m on a high.

ALEXIE: It’s unreal. I keep telling people I feel like it’s all an elaborate hoax and some is gonna come out and be like “Just kidding!” But no, it hasn’t happened yet, so thankfully I’m still here. And it’s such a reward because I’ve auditioned so many times and it’s amazing to see that hard work can pay off and that if you really want something and you’re specific about it and you work hard for it, it can happen.

ASHLEY: I’m feeling awesome! All of the inside jitters are just coming out and you can probably see it in my face, but when I went through hair and makeup and just getting into wardrobe and taking photos makes me feel ecstatic right now.

BILLY: I feel a little bit of déjà vu, but in the best way possible. It’s a completely surreal feeling, and it’s just surreal as it felt last year, and I am looking forward to it so much. I just can’t wait!

CRISTINA: I’m very excited. I still don’t believe this is happening. Having all these people around me doing my makeup and my hair and my outfit, I’m just so excited and happy to be here and to take this opportunity and to be with all these people is very exciting.

JOSE: You know it’s amazing, it’s unreal. I never thought I’d even make it to this point…The whole process has just surprised me and it showed me something I never knew I could do. Something that I never thought was possible for me, so it has definitely made me way more confident in person, even in my style of b-boying, I’ve become even better. I think it was just opening my mind to all the different styles of dance and moving in different ways made my movement in my original style of dance better because of the expansion of your mind.

KENT: Good. I’m feeling great. I’m ready to go!

LAUREN: I just feel a little bit of awestruck, overwhelmed in a good way. Everything is so new and exciting so I just feel good.

MELINDA: It feels real finally. It’s been a lot of waiting, which has been a really good test for my patience, which is good because part of the reason why I’m doing this is for a character building experience. I’m really, really honored to be a tap dancer and represent such a great art form and I don’t think tap dancers have gotten this far in the history of the show. I’m really excited to bring tap dance to such a huge show on television that has so many viewers. I’m really passionate about tap dancing and I’ve had a lot of really great mentors in the tap community. I’m a musician, I’m not only a dancer, and that’s what’s really exciting about tap dance. It has a really big history attached to it, but also at the end of the day it’s just really entertaining and I think America needs to see some great tap dancing.

ROBERT: I’m really excited, I’m here doing the photo shoot. I’m really, really, really excited. It’s all actually happening, so it’s kind of hitting me for a second so I’m getting crazy.

What are you most nervous about?

ADECHIKE: I’m not too nervous. I’m just so excited. Every time I get on stage there’s a little bit of nervous energy. I may be nervous when we do the full group routines when it’s the all-stars and us and there’s like 23 people in one room trying to learn choreography. That might get a little overwhelming. And hopefully, since I’m short, I’ll be able to be in front so I can learn everything. But I’m ready; I’m so excited and ready to dance! I think I can dance and I’m ready to show them that I can dance.

ALEX: I’m most nervous about doing different forms of dance, even though that’s what I came here for. I’m most nervous about hip hop and ballroom just because they’re not my specialties. And because I’m a ballet dancer, I’m never in my own genre which is kind of sad, but maybe they’ll do ballet on the show.

ALEXIE: Performing in front of America, but that’s inevitable. I think learning the ballroom dances and doing ballroom there’s a lot of different little nuances and technique that I’m not used to. I’ve taken classes but that’s the type of thing that you need time to really master and get down.

ASHLEY: I’m most nervous about competing. [Laughs] I know this is a competitive show, but when it gets down to the actual judging I’m really nervous about what they’ll have to say. But I love what they say and I love getting critiques because that’s how you learn as a dancer. I don’t want to disappoint them, so I’ll be upping my A-game now.

BILLY: I’m most nervous about the “kiss of death” – it’s the Quickstep. No one wants it. Nobody wants to be close to it and no one wants anything to do with it. I feel like it always gets people the first negative comment and then it goes downhill from there.

CRISTINA: I’m nervous about choreography. It’s going to be tough; it’s not an easy show to do. You have to give all that you have. I think that I need to enjoy it in order to give my best.

JOSE: Ballroom! [Laughs]. Ballroom is just so controlled. It’s like your posture, and then you have to control the woman, and you need to know the steps at the same time. For me, I just see it as a lot of different factors you have to worry about while you’re trying to perform. It’s not as free as other dances, where once you get the choreo you can almost feel it through. I think it’s difficult because it’s a really controlled dance, and in my style it’s really free: just jumping around, footwork, and tricks.

KENT: I’m nervous about ballroom, although I guess everyone is nervous about ballroom. Just meeting the all-stars for the first time and getting over that awkward stage, you know, “Hi, I’m Kent. Okay now we have to touch.” Just doing that, and I just don’t want to disappoint people. I want to surprise people; that’s the main thing.

LAUREN: I’m definitely most nervous about judges’ commentary after the dances. It sounds weird, but I’m not necessarily as nervous for the dances as I am about their critiques, what they’re going to say afterward, and how they perceive it.

MELINDA: I’m nervous about the ballroom dances, which I think a lot of us are. I didn’t train in ballroom growing up. Socially I did some salsa and some samba – my mom’s Colombian so I grew up with a lot of that Latin dance around – but not as far as the competitive ballroom dancing. That will be really exciting; I’m excited to work with an actual choreographer who is really great at it and they can give me tips to how I can better execute it.

ROBERT: I’m a little nervous to do ballroom. I’m not gonna lie. I’ve never taken a class before, but I think it’s going to be a great learning experience. Anya is unbelievable. She’s amazing, and I’m excited to work with her.

What do you want your fans to know about you?

ADECHIKE: I want them to know that AdéChiké is awesome. That I feel like I can be friends with anyone and I hope that my personality exudes through my dancing anytime I grace the stage. I feel like I’m a very generous person, and I feel like you could see my generosity in my dancing. And I just hope that I can connect with the viewers and if I can make one person’s day after they watch me, that’s all that matters.

ALEX: I’m a goof. I’m always joking around and I like joking around a lot. I work hard and I try to be the best dancer I can be and I try to be the best person I can be. I’m so bad – in the rehearsals in ballet as a kid I’d be laughing in class the whole time. Nothing would happen but I’d joke around, and still I’m that kid. It’s in my nature; I’m a goof!

ALEXIE: That I am very blessed, I’m a happy person, and that I love to see the good in people. I am always fighting for my dreams. I am very passionate about doing what you love. Also, I love to eat!

ASHLEY: One thing I want my fans to know about me is that I love what I do and I feel like if they have something they want to do, to never give up. Go for your dreams. It doesn’t matter who you are and what you go through in life, I feel like you need to stick it out and go with what you believe in and that’s what I do no matter how hard life is. You just have to go for what you want and it will come to you.

BILLY: I’m a nice person! [Laughs] When it comes down to cats and dogs, you’ve got to pick the dogs. And all be the annoying person that really likes the little ones. I really like the rat looking ones that people are like, “That’s not a dog, that’s a mouse,” and I’m like, “That’s not a mouse, it’s the best dog ever!” So, between cats or dogs, it’s totally dogs. I’m a dog person. Boxers of briefs? Totally briefs. And I’m loud!

CRISTINA: I love to hear music – in the car, in the bathroom – and of course dance! I’m always dancing. I love to paint and just learn new stuff and read more. I love to be with my family and just hangout with my friends and go out to dinner and just have fun. My family lives all over, but we talk every day – like seven times a day. They’re going to come out and watch me so I’m excited.

JOSE: I want my fans to know that deep down inside I am a humble person and I have a deep respect for my dance, but I’m very confident in myself and I believe in my abilities. I’m smooth, but explosive.

KENT: That I’m just like them. I don’t have a resume; I’m nothing different from them. I was them last season. I was them watching the show. I was them thinking “Oh my God, how can I ever be on that show?” And I just want them to realize that I’m a normal kid from a small town and that you don’t have to be from this huge city and you don’t have to be trained with the best and you can still be on the show.

LAUREN: I would like them to know that I appreciate them a lot, and I will work hard and dance my best for them.

MELINDA: I’m a Renaissance woman. I love all sorts of art. I love being creative. I’m also a musician – I play guitar, piano, ukulele, drums – I’m an actress, I sing, I write music, I love making things, I love painting. I just love art. I think it’s a great way to express yourself. I’m really passionate about arts education and putting music and dance into schools again. I think it’s a really great outlet for people and our society needs more art right now.

ROBERT: I’m just a goofball. I’m a guy that love to smile and just isn’t afraid to make fun of myself. I love to do bad dance moves. Channing Cooke, she was on the last season, she’s my roommate and we just film each other doing bad dance moves and doing stupid things so I just want people to know that I’m a goofball, I’m who I am, and I hope they see my soul.

Comments

40 comments on “The Top 11 Tell All“

1. Maya - wrote:

awesome!!!!! i luv SYTYCD!!!!

6/23/2010 2:31 PM UTC

2. RJ - wrote:

Hi .I like all your dance performance.But I like tap dancing and hip-hop

6/24/2010 8:51 PM UTC

3. carol - wrote:

i thought last nights results show was so bad.come on people start voting on skill not LOOKS.

6/25/2010 6:10 AM UTC

4. Deb - wrote:

I would love to see actual dancing not just every dance being about groping and sexual content – last week it was hard to even let the my children watch it due to the language of eating each other and dominating each other as well as all the moves. Why can’t the choreographers design dancing not just sex.

6/29/2010 5:57 AM UTC

5. Lillian - wrote:

I think they seriously need to get rid of Mia Michaels as a judje. She is a great choreographer but as a judje, she is way too critical to the point that I feel no matter how good they are, they are never good enough for her. God I miss Mary Murphy. Did she gert fired. She was the light hearted judje who brought fun to the show. I miss her. Anyway, I just think that the judging this season is way too harsh. Nygel is starting to get on my nerves as well. The show may really suffer because there is just no more humor

6/30/2010 8:14 PM UTC

6. Jane Yerow - wrote:

there is nothing more infuriating than having cameras badly placed. Why on earth do you have a camera that shows dancers from the waist up every 3rd shot???? After all the hard work put in, and beautiful choreography in this show, we miss what is going on by having the 2nd or 3rd camera shots show closeups that make us miss part of the dance. I find it very annoying and wish we could see what the judges are seeing. Those old Fred Astaire movies had it right…keep the camera so we see the whole of both dancers always in the shot. The excellent choreography is there, we don’t need technical directors to do it.

7/1/2010 5:46 PM UTC

7. Jane Yerow - wrote:

ps I love this show and vote every week. It is amazing and just had to mention my pet peeve–tech directors overriding existing dance choreography. It’s a complaint I have with all dance shows and yours is getting better every year.

7/1/2010 7:05 PM UTC

8. isabella - wrote:

I LOVE ADECHIKE.

7/1/2010 7:07 PM UTC

9. leon - wrote:

Mia Michaels is way off with her comments. It is an insult to the artist that perform on the Show. I almost do not want to watch the Show
    because of her. Bring Mary Murphy back please. The dancers are great !

7/2/2010 3:00 AM UTC

10. Denika - wrote:

i love you kent & jose ! :)

7/2/2010 12:43 PM UTC

11. Ann Coleman - wrote:

Alex Wong is so right. Why does SYTYCD ignore the Hardest genre in dance, classical ballet? He is a perfect example of how even ballet dancers can do hip hop, jazz, ballroom, contemporary, and broadway. Bring THAT into your program. ALL really great dancers need two things: training AND heart

7/5/2010 7:36 AM UTC

12. Jess - wrote:

Lauren Froderman leaves her heart on the stage every time she performs – and yes, for Lauren, every single time it is a performance, not simply a collection of dance moves thrown together, and it is so apparent. She is a graceful and beautiful, technical dancer but also really knows how to break it down and let loose – she never lets the moves get in the way of her dancing. Lauren is so light-footed that she frequently seems to fly across the stage under a pair of invisible wings. She demonstrates powerful skill and ease in such a wide range of genres, and I hope the judges and America are able to see that she is truly amazing.

7/5/2010 9:18 PM UTC

13. Lex - wrote:

I love this show! So many great dancers. I LOVE ADECHKE!

7/6/2010 1:21 PM UTC

14. heather - wrote:

yo! what up sytycd 7!!! keep in rocking….sorry to see you go each week but loving those who remain!

7/6/2010 3:27 PM UTC

15. hammy - wrote:

my favorite is LAUREN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and KENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they are both my favs!

7/7/2010 5:13 PM UTC

16. Lillian - wrote:

I think the judge were being to hard on ADECHKE. They have double standards about what’s to much and what’s bringing in your own personality. What about the person who made up the routine? His first didn’t showcase his talent because it wasn’t alot of dancing so blame her for that poor routine!!! I agree with Kat that Jose dance wasn’t any better and you guys praised him for it!! That’s BS, I hope people vote for him because the judges don’t like him to well. Tough Love my A$%!!!

7/7/2010 5:35 PM UTC

17. Brenda - wrote:

Mia Michaels, who is a great choreographer, is way to critical. Please bring back Mary Murphy, she was the heart of the show. Mia will negate one dancer but lift up another dancer for doing the same thing.The judges critique (which sounded like criticism) of Adechke, who is a brilliant dancer, is confusing; get out of the dance, get into character, too much character, not enough dance, Are they even listening to themselves.

7/7/2010 5:52 PM UTC

18. Brenda - wrote:

what was Mia Micheals watching when she said Adechke’s dancing was like doughnut holes…..nothing there. She needs to go somewhere and sit down and shut up.

7/7/2010 5:54 PM UTC

19. A faithful viewer - wrote:

I having been a faithful viewer since the show began, and I have about four friends that watch it also. We all agree that Fox made a big mistake in letting go of Mary, now the fact that they’ve replaced her with Mia was like adding fuel to the fire. She absolutely sucks as a judge, she is way too critical. I really didn’t appreciate how they criticized Adechike on putting his “own style on his bollywood performance, but a few weeks ago they praised Jose for doing the exact same thing, don’t get me wrong I like Jose but fair is fair this is a dance competition, not personality. It’s getting to the point to where if I catch it I do but I’m not going to go out of my way to watch it. BRING BACK MARY!!!!!!!!

7/7/2010 6:08 PM UTC

20. kc - wrote:

Mia Michaels has and will continue to bring the show down. I have loved this show since it started and now – not so much. I used to make excuses for Mia M’s behavior – thinking she was a professional and demanded perfection. I now am of the firm belief that there is nothing professional about Mia Michaels. She basically told a dancer tonight that he was nothing. I have been an avid watcher for all seasons and that dancer (Adichike) is one of the best I have ever scene. Very entertaining. Mia Michaels is very unappealing and I will now just skip over her comments. They are nothing. They are like donut holes. Shame on you Mia Michaels for being so transparent with your apparent lack of tact and class.

7/7/2010 6:13 PM UTC

21. kc - wrote:

oops..spelling error—-seen.
    I would not mind if I never saw her on the show again. Would love to see Mary Murphy back!!! Bring back Murphy…Get rid of Michaels.

7/7/2010 6:15 PM UTC

22. Marie - wrote:

Thank you Cat for standing up to the Judges. Someone has to this year!

7/7/2010 6:26 PM UTC

23. Becky - wrote:

Mia Michael is undeniably prejudice. Not a racist but prejudice. End of story.

7/7/2010 7:09 PM UTC

24. gail - wrote:

GOOD JOB CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/7/2010 9:09 PM UTC

25. Kenn - wrote:

Adechke is a beast. He is so good and Mia is a racist has been who makes it apparent who she wants to win every year. I hope he doesn’t take her comments to heart and lose focus. Her comments are like the donut hole comments that came out of her mouth tonight…..emtpy and and shallow.

7/7/2010 10:31 PM UTC

26. Jocelynne - wrote:

Hey, first I want to know where my dear Mary Murfey is. I miss her, and want her back. I cannot stand Mia Micheals no offence but in the past she had said some pretty mean things and in my opinion can be a real b*tch at time. I want to say that I love alex and do not want him to be voted off the show this season. You would be loosing an amazing and extremely talented dancer. He has great potential, and i often wonder if he just might win this year. I love him, but I wont say he is my faviorite, I love alot of dancers that are and have been on this show in the past. But he deffinitly makes it on my list of faviorite people. The sole reason for this comment, is to say that I will be very disapointed if Alex is voted off the show.
    I also think it was unfair of the judges to let in a sixth boy on the show this year. It should have stayed an even ten or they should have added another girl as well to make the number even. I did not like that at all, and for a minute i considered not watching the show anymore, despite how much I love it. Also with the tap dancer that got voted off last week. I really thought that was rude and uncalled for for the judges to tell her to her face that they regretted keeping her the week previously. That couldnt have made her feel very good, and weather u regret your actions or not, what good does it do to tell her that? I really like So You Think You Can Dance, but if it keeps going in this derection, I am affraid you may loose viewers.

7/7/2010 11:06 PM UTC

27. MJ - wrote:

I think Mia Michaels is so wrong for her comments. She is being personal instead of professional. Why should she makes those comments about Alex while she is suppose to be concentrating on Adechike. He is the only one she does that too. I use to like here, but she is not a fan right now.

7/8/2010 6:28 AM UTC

28. MJ - wrote:

I meant I use to like her.

7/8/2010 6:32 AM UTC

29. Sofija - wrote:

Like many people who have previously commented, I too agree that bringing Mia on as a permanent judge was a huge mistake. Not only can she be increnibly harsh and tactless but her lack of vocabulary and general grasp of the english language is also making it quite difficult to take her comments seriously. I have stopped counting the number of times Adam has rephrased her comments so that the dancers might actually understand them. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism, but she often crosses that line and her comments become insulting.
    What is perhaps the biggest disappointment this season is the lack of veriety in the dance styles. I don’t know if its due to the new format of the show, but I remember seeing many more dance styles being featured on the show in previous seasons and that made it so much more exciting to watch. So far this season every other routine seems to be contemporary.
    And lastly Kat is amazing!!

7/8/2010 7:07 AM UTC

30. Tedi - wrote:

I just love the show there are so many good dancers this year! I agree that they need to bring back Mary!! I just love Jose, Ashley and Robert. Billy needs to go home next i can’t hardley stand to look at him!!

7/8/2010 11:19 AM UTC

31. Tedi - wrote:

One more thing they were very right about Robert he is such a good dancer and he never has seemed arogant to me!!

7/8/2010 11:21 AM UTC

32. SRT - wrote:

I am concerned that the new format is creating a gender bias. None of the boys have been cut yet and we started out with more guys than girls and I worry that girls just don’t have the same chance because the viewers (who are most likely female) are voting for guys they find attractive.

7/8/2010 5:41 PM UTC

33. PEGGY A. MILLS - wrote:

i agree that as a judge mia michaels sucks. she gets too personal and does not mind hurting feelings. i could see theb pain in atacheke’s face and mia did’t mind showing her preference for alex and jose for reasons other than their fantastic talent. she does discriminate if the dancer does not appeal to her personally and this is not the first time i’ve seen her do that. i remember the one she told she did’t like him a couple of seasons ago. her apology was forced and phoney as she is. i would stop watching but i won’t discriminate against the other judges. i love cat, shes fabulous.

7/9/2010 10:25 AM UTC

34. Nikki - wrote:

You should have a spot where u can c updates on all the past dancers like what happened to Ivan from season 2 with Travis?

7/15/2010 9:28 PM UTC

35. Danielle - wrote:

What is the point of voting if they change the rules as they go? I think it was terrible to not send someone home tonight and say they will send two next week. Why did I vote? I should have not done anything and let you change the rules. The other dances were upset as well and they should be. 2 of them could leave next week, while they should not have. Rules are there fore a reason and you cant just change the rules when ever you want. You lose the worth of winning if you it not a fair.

7/22/2010 7:21 PM UTC

36. Seriouslythatwasabaddecision - wrote:

NIGEL —– I can’t believe you would make a decision like that. It DOES NOT SEEM FAIR TO THE OTHER DANCERS. Billy or Jose should have been let go. A CONTEMPORARY ROUTINE was designed to “HIDE” Jose’s lack of training/experience-??????????? Nice of the choreographer to do that for him, but what about the others who dance their butts off? The others WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN GIVEN THAT REPRIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Billy choosing not to dance when he has been medically cleared??????????????? That’s nicethat HE gets to rest his body a week and the others DO NOT. The only one that should not have gone home is Robert. In my opinion you should have gotten rid of 2 this week, JOSE AND BILLY. Now if 2 of the others who were not in the bottom this week have an off night- they could go home, when REALLY SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE GONE HOME THIS WEEK. —–IT IS NOT FAIR TO THE OTHER DANCERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/23/2010 5:48 AM UTC

37. Seriouslythatwasabaddecision - wrote:

7/23/2010 5:50 AM UTC

38. Seriouslythatwasabaddecision - wrote:

——————————————————NIGEL —– I can’t believe you would make a decision like that. It DOES NOT SEEM FAIR TO THE OTHER DANCERS. Billy or Jose should have been let go. A CONTEMPORARY ROUTINE was designed to “HIDE” Jose’s lack of training/experience-??????????? Nice of the choreographer to do that for him, but what about the others who dance their butts off? The others WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN GIVEN THAT REPRIEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Billy choosing not to dance when he has been medically cleared??????????????? That’s nicethat HE gets to rest his body a week and the others DO NOT. The only one that should not have gone home is Robert. In my opinion you should have gotten rid of 2 this week, JOSE AND BILLY. Now if 2 of the others who were not in the bottom this week have an off night- they could go home, when REALLY SOMEONE SHOULD HAVE GONE HOME THIS WEEK. —–IT IS NOT FAIR TO THE OTHER DANCERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/23/2010 5:51 AM UTC

39. Seriouslythatwasabaddecision - wrote:

NOT TO MENTION IF U CHANGE THE RULES, WHAT IS THE POINT IN VOTING AT ALL – OR WATCHING PERIOD?

7/23/2010 5:53 AM UTC

40. Jeanne - wrote:

Judges,

Shame on you all!! How dare you play favorites. Isn’t that the job of the viewers. Billy should have been let go…period. That is the rules you have been using. Why does it change when you don’t like the results? Shame, shame, shame. I do not believe I will continue to watch. Is it a dance COMPETITION or not?

7/23/2010 7:41 AM UTC