WED 8/7c JUL 30

So You Think You Can Dance Season 7 Voting FAQ’s

How do I vote?
Each contestant will be assigned a toll-free telephone number during the performance shows.    To vote, simply watch “So You Think You Can Dance” on FOX each week (see local listings for details) and dial the telephone number of the contestant(s) for whom you wish to vote.  Voting will open at the end of each performance show.  DO NOT call before the end of the show as the lines will not be open.  The results of the vote will be revealed in the results shows that will also air on FOX later the same week (see local listings for details). Rules and procedures are subject to change at producers’ discretion without notice.

Who can vote?
Anyone calling from within the continental US, Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands can cast their vote for “So You Think You Can Dance”.

When can I vote?
Voting for “So You Think You Can Dance” will open at the end of the performance show each week (see local listings for details) and will stay open for at least 2 hours, subject to time zone restrictions.  Outside of these times, the toll-free lines will play a busy signal and your call will not count as a vote.

Is it true that some people can cast votes outside of the 2 hour window after the show?
No, this is not true. As part of the process to ensure that the “So You Think You Can Dance” voting system is accurate and ready for the public to call and vote, a test window is built into the toll-free system for the morning of each vote show.  During this test window, anyone calling the toll-free numbers from a phone with a West Coast area code will hear the ‘thanks for voting’ message.  This vote window is for testing purposes only and any calls received during this time do not count as valid votes.  Your votes will only count if you call during your valid 2 hour vote window after the performance show, subject to time zone limitations.  Outside of these hours, votes will not count, even if you hear the ‘thanks for voting’ message.

How much does it cost to vote?
Telephone calls to the “So You Think You Can Dance” voting lines are toll-free from landlines so you will not be charged to vote.  If you use a cell phone to call, airtime and applicable roaming and long distance charges will apply.

Can I vote by using my cell phone?
Yes, you can vote using your cell phone, although airtime and applicable roaming and long distance charges will apply to toll-free numbers from cell phones.  Contact your cell phone service provider if you want to know how much you will be charged.
If you are calling from a cell phone and you are in a different time zone from your cell phone number, the system will accept or reject your vote based on the time zone of your cell phone area code.  For example, if you have a New York cell phone area code but are calling from Los Angeles, you will be voting outside the East Coast voting window and your vote will not be accepted.  Try calling again from a land line telephone during the West Coast voting window.

Text message voting is not available for “So You Think You Can Dance”.

I couldn’t get through to the lines or all I get is a busy signal when I call – why?
Although the telephone network is designed to handle huge volumes of calls simultaneously, there may be times (particularly just after the show) when it will not be able to handle every single call due to the sheer volume.  If you are calling during your voting window but can’t get through to cast your vote, be patient and try again.

If you hear a busy signal, it may be that you are calling outside of the voting window.  When your voting window closes, lines will switch from a ‘thank you for voting’ message to a fast busy signal.

If you are sure you are calling within your voting window but still can’t get through, it may be that your local phone company has been flooded with calls.  Try waiting a few minutes before calling again.  If you still have problems, contact your local phone company.

If you are calling from a cell phone with an area code that is in a different time zone from that in which you are calling, the system will accept or reject your vote based on the time zone of your cell phone’s area code.  For example, if you have a New York cell phone area code but are calling from Los Angeles, you will be voting outside the East Coast voting window and your vote will not be accepted.  Try calling again from a land line telephone during the West Coast voting window.

Can I vote if I subscribe to a digital phone service or VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) service?

Yes, you can vote if you subscribe to some digital or internet-based phone systems, such as Vonage or Skype. However, note that digital phone and VOIP services often re-route outgoing calls to a different geographical location from which the call is being made. As a result, you may only be able to vote in the voting window to which your call has been re-routed. If you are trying to vote in the regular voting window for your region and your call is re-routed outside of your region by your service provider, you will not be able to vote (instead, you will hear a busy signal). However, you still have the availability to vote during the other voting window. For further information, contact your digital phone or VOIP service provider.

When I called one of the toll-free lines, I heard the wrong dancer’s number – why?
All lines for “So You Think You Can Dance” are tested before going on-air to make sure the lines work properly and are playing out the correct audio.  If you call and hear the wrong contestant’s number, it’s possible you accidentally misdialed, so check the number and dial again.
What will I hear if I call the toll-free numbers?
Voting begins at the end of the performance show when ALL of the contestants have performed – if you call before then, you will hear a busy signal and your vote will NOT count.

At the end of the performance show, phone lines will be opened and voting can begin.  Voting lasts for at least 2 hours, subject to local time zone restrictions, from the end of the show and during that time you will hear a pre-recorded message thanking you for voting for your chosen contestant(s).  Each contestant will have his or her own number read/shown on air, and the phone message will confirm for whom you have voted.  After the voting window closes, no more votes will be accepted and lines will play out a busy signal.

When I called, I was told to call a “900” number – isn’t “So You Think You Can Dance” voting toll-free?

If you call to vote for your favorite “So You Think You Can Dance” contestant(s) and hear a message to call a “900″ number, or if you hear anything other than ‘thanks for voting’, you have misdialed.  Do not call this “900″ number to vote as “900″ numbers are not connected to “So You Think You Can Dance” voting.  Please try the “So You Think You Can Dance” toll-free numbers again, dialing carefully.

How do I know my vote has been counted?
Your vote will count if you vote during your valid voting window and hear the ‘thanks for voting’ message.  If you do not hear a pre-recorded message thanking you for voting, your vote did not count.
How do I find out the results?
“So You Think You Can Dance” will air a performance show Wednesdays on FOX each week (see local listings for details)  and the results of each vote will be revealed in the results show on FOX Thursdays (see local listings for details).  So make sure you don’t miss a single minute of ”So You Think You Can Dance” each week if you want to see how your vote affected the results!

What’s being done about power dialing?

The “So You Think You Can Dance” voting process is administered and carefully monitored by an independent vote management company. The producers, in consultation with this independent vote management company, reserve the right to remove so-called “power dialing” votes that are identified as having been cast in such a significant block, either by technical enhancements or otherwise, that it could unfairly influence the outcome of the voting.
Why can’t I vote by the toll-free numbers using a payphone?
Votes from payphones will be blocked.  To vote for your favorite contestant(s), use a standard land line telephone or cell phone.  If you use a cell phone to call, airtime and applicable roaming and long distance charges will apply.

Why can’t I vote on the Internet?
Only toll-free phone voting is available for “So You Think You Can Dance”.

Comments

193 comments on “So You Think You Can Dance Season 7 Voting FAQ’s“

1. Dale Harper - wrote:

this show has been a favorite of mine for many seasons and all I want to do now is throw something at the TV when it is on…Nigel-when you make comments that this new format is working and say “nay, nay, nay”, you are being totally clueless. Many people are turning this show off and if you are so callous as to believe that you are right and your viewers are wrong, then you will ultimately lose because there will be noone watching you! I don’t know who is the nastier judge…you with your comments to Travis about it not being jazz (this should have been done elsewhere, not on camera and embarrass Travis. I was embarrassed for him and would love to know what he mouthed when you were chewing him out) or Mia who is so self absorbed and downright mean to people (especially when she told a Jose that she wished Alex was back instead of him). I never thought I would say that I miss Mary Murphy’s laugh, but I miss her.
    I don’t understand why you changed the show anyway!! Why change something when it wasn’t broken. Going to miss the show, but I don’t even care who wins, nor do I care to even watch the rest of the season.

7/31/2010 1:30 PM UTC

2. Sohaib Ahmad - wrote:

this show was a favorite of mine for many seasons Nigel-when you make comments that this new format is working and say “nay, nay, nay”, you are being totally clueless. Many people has turned this show off and if you are so callous as to believe that you are right and your viewers are wrong, then you will ultimately lose because there will be noone watching you! I don’t know who is the nastier judge…you with your comments to Travis about it not being jazz (this should have been done elsewhere, not on camera and embarrass Travis. I was embarrassed for him and would love to know what he mouthed when you were chewing him out) or Mia who is so self absorbed and downright mean to people (especially when she told a Jose that she wished Alex was back instead of him). I never thought I would say that I miss Mary Murphy’s laugh, but I miss her.

the Boy boy Routines are totally gayish.
    for god Sake do something right you have destroyed the show.

8/2/2010 7:46 PM UTC

3. Melissa - wrote:

You should make online voting avaliable.

8/4/2010 4:16 AM UTC

4. mark givens - wrote:

i think the judges are so racist, especially mia micheals, good luck ade.

8/4/2010 4:45 PM UTC

5. ms justice - wrote:

clearly the judges do not like adechike huh clearly the have the hots for robert and kent has too much of an inane expression to be taken seriously/ how could billy go and kent stay please!!!

8/4/2010 4:54 PM UTC

6. Tamara - wrote:

THE JUDGES SHOULD REALLY STOP PICKING ON ADE’CHIKE’…..HE’S REALLY A GOOD DANCER AND THE ONLY REASON HE’S BEING PICKED ON IS BECAUSE HE PUT TYCE ON BLAST ABOUT HIS GRADE….THE SHOW ALLOWED THAT TO HAPPEN SO STOP PUNISHING ADE’CHIKE’ FOR THE NONSENSE…….NYGEL, MIA, ADAM AND TYCE LET’S GIVE DUE WHERE IT’S DUE….AND STOP BEING BIAS……

8/4/2010 4:58 PM UTC

7. Gret - wrote:

Why can’t we vote online???? This is 2010 and other shows allow online voting. I’m sooo disappointed. :(

8/4/2010 5:56 PM UTC

8. Judy - wrote:

What is Ade call in number?

8/4/2010 6:11 PM UTC

9. brick city - wrote:

what is the phone numbers? why dont they have it here when you get on site?? that is STUPID!!!!!!

8/4/2010 6:12 PM UTC

10. Joyce Turchetti - wrote:

People, judging is just that “judging-giving a critical point of view” based on your knowledge and experience. The judge’s have the knowledge and experience, the audience has preference only. What you prefer -is just that, don’t blame the judges because they don’t agree with your preference. The judge’s are correct, mia has the emmy!!! The dancers that should be there in the final 4 are there…great season, very enjoyable…

8/4/2010 6:12 PM UTC

11. Angela Merola - wrote:

I thought it was rough what was said about Dominique tonight when he danced with Robert. Plus it wasn’t true. Dominique was given harder things and did far better. Just thought it was a little over the edge.

What is with the judges pumping up Robert so much? Looks unnatural. Seems political, weird. Leaves you saying, what is his Dad in politics?

8/4/2010 6:25 PM UTC

12. Pam Godwin - wrote:

I have tried numerous times to vote for Robert tonight and everytime I tried to call I got a message that asked me to put in a promotional code. The number I have been trying to call is 1-866-623-7803. It really is frustrating and unfair if this is the case for other people.

8/4/2010 6:51 PM UTC

13. Lee - wrote:

I think there is an “effort ” to eliminate Ade’ ….the number to vote for him does not work!!!!!!! How can this happen at this crucial time in the program? Makes would at least consider conspiracy theories…

8/4/2010 6:57 PM UTC

14. CHERIE - wrote:

I’ve tried over and over the last 10 minutes to call in for Lauren (01) and it’s either busy or says the phone company is down. If she does not get voted in I will be really upset. All the other dancers phone lines have been open and worked properly.

8/4/2010 7:10 PM UTC

15. Elicia - wrote:

should be about to vote online

8/4/2010 7:11 PM UTC

16. Justin - wrote:

There are some that are saying that the new format did not work…. I could not disagree more. The dancing has been stronger and more focused. The growth in the top 10 was amazing to watch! Please stick with this. It really made the show work for me again! And tonight, both Kent, Robert and Lauren were all amazing. They all connected with what they were given and soared! I truly hope they make the finale!

8/4/2010 7:57 PM UTC

17. Paula - wrote:

I tried to vote for my favorites tonight but kept getting a number telling me to put in my processing code. I redialed several times. the only number that worked was for Lauren.

8/4/2010 8:00 PM UTC

18. BJ - wrote:

It annoys me that you can’t vote via this web site.
    I am even more annoyed that you can vote from the Virgin Islands but not from Canada – we watch and are invested too!!

8/4/2010 8:36 PM UTC

19. BJ - wrote:

My comment is “awaiting moderation”? Just in case it is nasty or unacceptable?
    If I could vote, my top 2 would be Lauren and Robert – but what do I know? I’m just Canadian…….

8/4/2010 8:39 PM UTC

20. gary - wrote:

your votes are incomplete!!!

8/4/2010 9:27 PM UTC

21. Kathy - wrote:

Number one I know Mia simi said she was sorry but she can be really rude, a judge comments on the dancing not on the person. I love Adam he is a good judge. Also I think we should be able to vote over the internet.

8/4/2010 10:49 PM UTC

22. Kathy - wrote:

I like the new format with the stars from past shows.

8/4/2010 10:52 PM UTC

23. Elaine - wrote:

The show tonight did not sit well with me. It just felt wrong. Why was Ade’Chike the only one not to have his video/montage after his first performance? The comments that were given to him were barely, if at all, helpful and came off as goodbyes. The comments directed to the other contestants, however, were directed like they might have a chance of dancing the following week. The bias against Ade’chike was blatantly apparent. I was completely shocked, Nigel, when you told both Lauren and Kent that they would be in the finale. Even though that might be true, that was completely unprofessional to say so. The judges on So You Think You Can Dance, whether they own up to it or not, are in a position of power and have the responsibility to give honest constructive criticism of the performances without being blinded by their own emotions and preferences, and, as we’ve seen tonight, biases. Please do not say that “it is up to the viewers” when there was such an obvious attempt of swaying the viewers votes. Ade’chike is a beautifully, talented dancer who I feel as been pigeon-holed and not been able to really demonstrate his potential this season. Although I feel like Ade’Chike might be the next one to go, you, as judges, had no right to so obviously dismiss him and basically send him packing this evening. I have watched every episode of this season. I have been inspired by the choreography and calibre of dancing, I’ve appreciated the new format of having all-star dancers, as it has let the contestants improve at a quicker rate and reach their potentials, and I have looked forward to watching the show each week. After tonight’s show, however, I’m so disappointed with how things were handled that I don’t think I will be watching next season. I understand that this is a reality tv show and maybe I’m naive, but I thought that So You Think You Can Dance was different and that it was about the true talent and artistic excellence of the dancer. Please remember, as judges, your responsibility not only to the viewing audience, but to the dancers themselves to keep up the show’s integrity. Please respect the dancers and do not be so obvious about who your favorites are. I understand that that is bound to happen as you are human, but do not announce your favorites and preferences on national television. Very bad form. I don’t know if you will be able to get your integrity back after tonight’s disaster. I believe you all owe Ade’ Chike an apology. Maybe not on television, but an apology definitely needs to be made. Unless there is a drastic change in how things are handled, I will not be watching next season.

8/4/2010 11:37 PM UTC

24. Katy - wrote:

Has anyone ever heard of Waacking? its an amazing style of dance i think it would be a great addition to this show, i cant find out how to contact thro email tho soo this is the best i could do.

8/5/2010 8:12 AM UTC

25. Gail - wrote:

I think judges should keep their political views to themself and not voice their opinions on national TV!!

8/5/2010 7:15 PM UTC

26. Brandon - wrote:

Is anyone else completely fed up with the little girl in the audience who keeps squealing uncontrollably? It’s extremely distracting and I don’t understand why they don’t tell her to be quiet or adjust the audience mics…

Anyway, go Lauren!

8/11/2010 5:39 PM UTC

27. Lori Conway - wrote:

You should have it on this site, I wrote down number but its not working

8/11/2010 6:04 PM UTC

28. Lori Conway - wrote:

What is the telephone number. Must have written it down wrong..

8/11/2010 6:05 PM UTC

29. Dove - wrote:

Mia is great. I like people who are passionate and don’t hold back. Hmm Kent is one of those too, (but I am a Robert fan.) I love the new show format. And yes it is hard to find the phone numbers if you didn’t write them down or PVR the show. I would like to see the relevant numbers posted on the website during the show.

8/11/2010 6:21 PM UTC

30. Jobbie - wrote:

I hate this web site because the sorry ass ads for the chemically colored Gatorade can’t be turned off and they don’t give out the voting numbers. Screw So You Think You Can Dance and FOX

8/11/2010 6:23 PM UTC

31. Nett - wrote:

1-888-623-7801 Kent
    1-888-623-7802 Lauren
    1-888-623-7803 Robert

8/11/2010 6:59 PM UTC

32. erica - wrote:

so i would really like to vote but all i remember is 1-888-best-and the dancers number for the night but this is not enough numbers! i watch every week, but never call, but sense it is the final show i wanted to vote. this really sucks. if my dance loses but just a couple votes it will be because this website sucks!

8/11/2010 7:03 PM UTC

33. Sandy - wrote:

Seems to be a bug in your phone lines for two contestants tonight, and I am throughly disgusted as my vote will not count. For an hour and a half I have dialed Kents # no busy tone, it drops the call evertime!!! I am calling within the limit!!!!!!!!! I want my vote to count!! Ashleys is working fine, calling Roberts you are prompted to enter your conference call. What is up with this? This is not fair to the contestants or the votters. It demands prompt attention!!!

8/11/2010 7:34 PM UTC

34. Hannah - wrote:

I have been calling to get my vote in for lauren for over an hour and it just rings busy. It would be helpful to be able to vote online. I just wasted an hour and can’t get through. It is so frustrating. Lauren lost my vote because the lines were busy.

8/11/2010 8:16 PM UTC

35. AJR - wrote:

I sure wish you would go to online voting. It would make all fair to those that don’t have a phone.

8/11/2010 8:38 PM UTC

36. Phyllis - wrote:

I have tried all night to vote for Kent and I keep getting the wrong number. I have been calling and I know I am dialing the right number. I hope someone else has been reporting this as it isn’t fair to Kent!!!!!

8/11/2010 8:57 PM UTC

37. Erica - wrote:

Seems like there are major issues with the lines tonight!!! I have been calling for Lauren for and hour and a half, within my time limit, and all I ever get is a busy signal. and Kent’s line does not say “Thanks for voting for dancer 1.” This is ridiculous…and NEEDS to be addressed. I am so frustrated right now, and hope that this glitch doesn’t screw up the results tomorrow.

8/11/2010 9:58 PM UTC

38. veronica - wrote:

we should be able to vote online cause sometime the calls can’t or won’t go through

8/11/2010 10:02 PM UTC

39. mary - wrote:

I think there should be a monetary reward for all the top 3 finalists.

8/12/2010 8:09 PM UTC

40. wiwany - wrote:

Get the 20 Best dancers back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Season 6 was the best – season 7 the worst. It lost all of its competitive character. At times I wasn’t sure who was the Allstar and who the competitor. It became a very boring show. If you really want the Allstars, the bring them with the top 10, but not from the beginning. And get the hot Tomale train back…

8/13/2010 11:17 AM UTC

41. Juliet Samba - wrote:

Great show however I feel there should be a top female and male dancer

8/14/2010 11:44 AM UTC

42. Gretta - wrote:

I cannot believe that Lauren won. Yes she was good but Kent was the best and he deserved to win.
    AND WHERE IS JOSHUA??????

8/18/2010 6:01 PM UTC

43. Dixie - wrote:

I would love to see the top two from “Dance your A** Off” on this show next year. I think in some ways I like it better.

8/26/2010 5:00 PM UTC