WED 8/7c JUL 23

Top 20 dancer Billy Bell has left SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE due to illness and will be replaced by Brandon Dumlao, 21, a Hip Hop dancer from Concord, CA. Dumlao will join the Top 20 this week as they compete on the first two-hour performance show Tuesday, Oct. 27 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

“We are disappointed that Billy cannot continue dancing in the competition on the advice of his doctor and wish him a speedy recovery,” said executive producer/judge Nigel Lythgoe. “However, we are fortunate that Brandon Dumlao has agreed to return.”

Dumlao joins previously announced finalists – Phillip Attmore, Channing Cooke, Ariana Debose, Ashleigh Di Lello, Ryan Di Lello, Russell Ferguson, Mollee Gray, Karen Hauer, Kevin Hunte, Jakob Karr, Noelle Marsh, Pauline Mata, Kathryn McCormick, Legacy Perez, Bianca Revels, Peter Sabasino, Ellenore Scott, Victor Smalley and Nathan Trasoras – as they compete to become America’s Favorite Dancer.

Comments

158 comments on “Finalist Billy Bell has Left SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE Due to Illness. Brandon Dumlao Joins Top 20.“

1. andie - wrote:

billy get wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllll soon!

11/2/2009 6:43 PM UTC

2. CJHall - wrote:

Ok…a bit nervous here. First ever comment to the show so forgive the length. I want to say a few things on point about Billy and then a few things about other points mentioned. Billy, you have a God given gift. Never be afraid to take chances with something so incredible. You made me reflect on how Travis blew me away. I only began performing in 2001 and I’m a singer. Respected many dancers I worked with and around but was rather…uncomfortable watching(and using) choreographed dance. It wasn’t until this show SYTYCD first aired and I was captured quite by surprise. I’m a grown man and those kids in the first season (and since) had me sobbing(DAMN YOU MIA!!”shaking fists”). More than that…the kids, the judges, the choreographers…watching them all made me realize that respect was one thing but appreciation was another. Singers might move me, but wow…dance…it just draws me INTO a world where I see SO much more. Nothing can deminish what the producers have achieved thus far…for me. This brings me to a quick and final few words.

Much of the performances are wonderfully done but AGREED, the new lighting/camera work especially distracts depending entirely upon the type of dance performed and the moments they are used in. The size of the stage could be a good thing with freedom of movement but…can a compromise be reached to bring back the intamacy the lighting and stage once had? I don’t want to loose the realness this show brought to me for dancers…the simple beauty I never gave it credit for.

11/3/2009 9:00 PM UTC

3. AA - wrote:

I was most excited to watch Billy dance and he stood out even in the top 20 opening number which was one of the best openings I have ever seen in all 6 seasons. I hope Billy gets straight through to the top 20 season 7. I like his replacement Brandon but I wish they picked the ballet dancer. He was amazing.

11/12/2009 2:11 AM UTC

4. zaklady bukmacherskie - wrote:

Great info, thanks for useful article. I am waiting for more

5/26/2010 3:21 AM UTC

5. Katie Taylor - wrote:

Where’s Mary?? She was the only judge who provided light-hearted, empathic, human “entertainment” as well as quirky, not-so-SERIOUS interaction with the other “dud” judges who consider themselves to be “Danseuses” during the very important judging section of each show. This year the judges are just dried-up sour-pusses. It is painful to listen to them and not in keeping with the original exuberance of the show.

The judge line-up you have now are self-satisfied, self-absorbed, ex-ex-ex dancers who keep referring back to themselves (where’s that remote?) and their own (shriveled) careers during their pronouncements.

PULEEZ–you’ve lost the “it factor” in the judging section, a very important piece of the pie for us as TV viewers. By trying to have judges with more “serioud cred” you’ve sacrificed the fun interaction between opposite personalities (Mary with Nygel) and we now have a bitter little band of aging dancer/choreographer/judges who all congratulate each other just for breathing! They are ex-talented/ex-famous people who love to pat each others’ backs…ahem….

Did you see the choreography on the Adacemy Awards this year?? Did not earn that guy a place on the judging panel —He is his only and biggest fan and he needs to go….

Do you see how much Mia looks like Ursula in the Little Mermaid? She needs to go. We all hate it when she gets teary for dancers who look like her and remind her of herself in the long, long ago past. She is painful to watch and listen to.

Do you see how ridiculously unfounded any input Nygel has to offer during his long-winded speeches is? He needs to follow in his Idol Predecessor’s footsteps and fade away… Listening to him is like telling your mom you will be polite to your bumbling grandfather at the old folks’ home. Where did he dance again?? Let him produce, not pose as a “with-it” judge. Reminds me of a very old James Bond imitator.

Update the judges to the current century. Cut the condescending, self-congratulating banter that has now become their exclusive M.O. …nobody cares who they USED to be. We care about the dancers and their receiving useful, empathic, input…Fun and funny is missing from this panel.

We love and value the dancers for their amazing abilities…Find some judges who can bring even a tiny percentage of the dancers’ entertainment value to the table. These judges’ nails-on-the-chalkboard comments are the only thing we fast-forward through on this show. It could be so much better in the long-run.

BRING MARY BACK FULL TIME PLEASE!!

KT

6/27/2010 8:21 PM UTC

6. adriana - wrote:

oh, i love billy. i hope he wins i also hope kent wins they are so great.
    please vote for them.

7/29/2010 2:14 PM UTC

7. adriana - wrote:

well sinse this girl named val goose asked what the hip-hop thing is. it is ” outta your mind ”. but billy wasnt in it that was alex. poor alex.

7/29/2010 2:18 PM UTC