ALL NEW / **TWO-HOUR SEASON FI...
WED 8/7c SEP 3

Nigel and Mary: So You Think You Can Dance is Different

In the past couple years, several dance shows started airing on national television. So You Think You Can Dance judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy open up

In what ways do you think So You Think You Can Dance differs from the other dance shows out there?

Nigel Lythgoe: It’s pretty obvious – I don’t know any other dance show out there that deals with all of the different genres of dance as we do. I don’t know any other dance show that shows the choreography in the way that we show it or the choreographers. I also don’t know any other dance show that deals with the public. We have kids – ordinary kids, and some who came from the streets – who want to become professional dancers. The other dance shows are based on one genre – just hip hop or just ballroom. We also have real talent.

Mary Murphy: It’s all done with extraordinary dancers. There’s not a professional paired with an amateur. It’s not just amateur-amateur. These are all dancers that are going to make it their life. This is something that they have a true passion for. They haven’t been asked to do it just to lose weight or to advance their career. This is their life. Whether this show was on the air or not, dancers will dance just about anywhere because they feel the need that they have to. So when you have such commitment and such passion, I think it is so very different then any dance show out there, and the fact that we’re asking them to switch from one dance style to the next is incredibly difficult. I’ve tried it myself and I can tell you once you get your body moving into a specific way, it doesn’t really want to change. It’s very hard and we ask them to do it in 5.5 hours. They go from hip hop to Quickstep. A ballroom dancer may have to dance hip hop and a jazz dancer may have to dance Krump. It’s unbelievable and it never ceases to amaze me that a lot of the dancers seem to pull it off at a fairly professional rate. Every once in a while, a dancer like Brandon and Janette do an Argentine Tango that looks as good as any Argentine Tango dancers you’ve ever seen in the world.

Comments

7 comments on “Nigel and Mary: So You Think You Can Dance is Different“

1. Karencita - wrote:

We are MISSING MARY MURPHY more than you can imagine! PLEEEEEASE come back, hot tamale train!

7/8/2010 5:28 PM UTC

2. barbara bean - wrote:

where did mary murphy go….the show is truly missing its bright sun without her there…is she returning soon…no offense mia

7/8/2010 7:07 PM UTC

3. nora lamar - wrote:

I miss Mary Murphy! I love Mia but there is truly no replacement for Mary. She added a genuine energy and interest to the panel of judges that cannot be matched. Sometimes different is good or even better. Not in this case. I would love to see more Mia choreography and Mary back in her well earned spot as permanent judge. The show is not as good without her!

7/20/2010 4:01 PM UTC

4. michelle - wrote:

I miss mary too!!! want her back love the show look forward to it every year , but I am missing my Hot tamale train!!!!!! Come back soon !!!

7/22/2010 8:27 PM UTC

5. Grace - wrote:

I’d like to join the I Miss Mary Club! I agree that Mia is a good choreographer and no one compares to Mary as a judge. She has the most knowledge about ballroom dancing. She can critic those dances the best. Mary and Adam always gave the most constructive criticism. Did they ever give a reason for her not being on the panel this season. She is not even mentioned. I hope she will be back for the next season.

7/27/2010 5:51 PM UTC

6. Gliceria Perez - wrote:

I too would like to join the Miss Mary Club because Mia is too much! I don’t know if it’s me but I cannot stand how she criticizes the people of color so much more harshly than she does others. I am all for constructive criticism but she destroys the dream. I cannot stand it! Mia as a choreographer is great but as a judge not good at all. Nigel please do whatever you can to have Mary Murphy back as her absence is truly deeply felt!

7/28/2010 5:01 PM UTC

7. BA - wrote:

I miss her too!!! Where are the answers? I’ve been searching everywhere trying to find some explaination of her absence – temporary? back next year? what’s up???

7/29/2010 6:20 PM UTC