SEASON PREMIERE
WED 8/7c MAY 28

So You Think You Can Dance is Different from Other Shows

Nigel & Mary

We caught up with So You Think You Can Dance judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy to ask them how their show differs from the other dance shows out there.

Nigel Lythgoe:

It’s pretty obvious – I don’t know any other dance show out there that deals with all of the different genres of dance as we do. I don’t know any other dance show that shows the choreography in the way that we show it or the choreographers. I also don’t know any other dance show that deals with the public. We have kids – ordinary kids, and some who came from the streets – who want to become professional dancers. The other dance shows are based on one genre – just hip hop or just ballroom. We also have real talent.

Mary Murphy:

It’s all done with extraordinary dancers. There’s not a professional paired with an amateur. It’s not just amateur-amateur. These are all dancers that are going to make it their life. This is something that they have a true passion for. They haven’t been asked to do it just to lose weight or to advance their career. This is their life. Whether this show was on the air or not, dancers will dance just about anywhere because they feel the need that they have to. So when you have such commitment and such passion, I think it is so very different then any dance show out there, and the fact that we’re asking them to switch from one dance style to the next is incredibly difficult. I’ve tried it myself and I can tell you once you get your body moving into a specific way, it doesn’t really want to change. It’s very hard and we ask them to do it in 5.5 hours. They go from hip hop to Quickstep. A ballroom dancer may have to dance hip hop and a jazz dancer may have to dance Krump. It’s unbelievable and it never ceases to amaze me that a lot of the dancers seem to pull it off at a fairly professional rate. Every once in a while, a dancer like Brandon and Janette do an Argentine Tango that looks as good as any Argentine Tango dancers you’ve ever seen in the world.

Cat, Nigel and Mary Discuss the New Fall Season of So You Think You Can Dance

Comments

16 comments on “So You Think You Can Dance is Different from Other Shows“

1. Charles King - wrote:

I am 63 years old and I have never been so fascinated by what this show has brought to the general public!
    It is so far superior to the other **** on T.V.!
    I doubt I could dance across the street right now, but watching this show grow children to adults is amazing and for the little I know, the critiques are right on target.
    I could once shag pretty good!
    Great Job and please keep it up!

9/10/2009 10:29 AM UTC

2. Renee - wrote:

I’d like to see one of the choreographers use the song “Dr. Evil” by They Might Be Giants.

9/10/2009 10:56 PM UTC

3. George - wrote:

I hope they sell DVDs of the first five So You Think You Can Dance Season Broadcasts soon. They would make an incredible Christmas gift for my wife.

9/11/2009 7:40 PM UTC

4. Nene Newbrough - wrote:

So I definitely agree with George. I literally would buy every single season of So You Think You Can Dance. Even if they were $30 each. I was only able to watch the end of Season 4 and all of Season 5. I really really really want to see Seasons 1,2,3, and 4. PLEASE DO IT!!!

<33 Nene

9/12/2009 7:12 PM UTC

5. bebopnoun - wrote:

Hi, I’mcoming from France and unfortunately we don’t have a local version of SYTYCD.
    By the way we can see all the routines on the net. This summer a french channel has showehd the 3rd season & we have follow the 5th season on the net.
    Congratulations to everybody, your work is awesome and we love all the contestants and the jury is really great, as much as Cat is.
    Hope see the next seasons on french tv and “longue vie à So you think you can dance”

9/14/2009 11:41 AM UTC

6. Geoff - wrote:

Mary Murphy’s laugh is so annoying I had to turn off the show

9/16/2009 6:47 PM UTC

7. Jo Linda Mello - wrote:

I love to watch dance. I would like to see the cameraman treat the dancers like they are the entertainment. I hate the zooming in and out–it detracts from the talent. I hate when they come in at different angles rather than the from the frontal point of the presentation of the dancer. We have missed many fine moments when the cameraman leaves the whole stage and focuses on that which is not the entertainment–like individuals in the audience and judges and cleavage ( we love you, but how about after the dance????) i know you think there needs to be hype–but many of us just love to watch the dance I also love the format with the choreagraphers finally getting their due!

9/23/2009 8:31 PM UTC

8. Miljan - wrote:

I am amazed how Nigel Lythgoe and his production team pack stuff now not in two, but only one hour and still have time for everything in it and it doesn’t feel rushed…
    And since he left American Idol, the producers there can’t pack everything even in two hours…

9/24/2009 4:55 AM UTC

9. kungpow - wrote:

Mary behaves like a spoiled, out of control 4 year old. It’s like watching someone on MadTV making fun of the show! Sorry, I will no longer watch this show or the annoying laughter of Mary!

9/29/2009 3:23 AM UTC

10. Catalina - wrote:

I am very disappointed that Nigel Lythgoe just choose the ‘strip dancer” to move to the next level. Saw better dances, and he was taken by the “stripper”, typicall of man…and his character as a judge should be really questions….

10/6/2009 6:27 PM UTC

11. Jom - wrote:

Reply to Catalina… ehhmm.. he and the other judges use to put through funny and big personality dancers to the choreo. This time it was a stripper and she just danced sexy and took off some clothes but she wasn’t naked. Well if you have ever watch more seconds of the show than that you will see that many dancers have less clothes or as much clothes as she had and they also dance very very sexy. AND atleast 2 judges have to say yes to the choreo to put through a dancer. Mia and Nigel said yes but Mia have nothing to blame for? Both have as much to blame for that. Don’t be so narrow minded.

10/13/2009 3:01 AM UTC

12. Larry - wrote:

Can some one please tell Mary to “Shut Up”

10/27/2009 6:01 PM UTC

13. lbutterfly70 - wrote:

So You Think You Can Dance and American Idol are the best two shows on television. I am so glad these two shows were created. Giving dancers and singers a chance to live their dreams is a wonderful and awesome thing. I am not a dancer or a singer but enjoy watching and listening. Thank you Nigel, Simon Fuller and all the other producers for creating such wonderful television.

11/1/2009 8:24 AM UTC

14. Darron Wissel - wrote:

With Simon departing what will be the purpose of watching American Idol? To listen to Ryan Seacrest? I think not!!!!

5/27/2010 3:40 AM UTC

15. Sandi - wrote:

Where is Mary Murphy this season? I miss her!

7/14/2010 4:56 PM UTC

16. WP Themes - wrote:

Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

8/14/2010 1:54 AM UTC