SEASON PREMIERE
WED 8/7c MAY 28

Cat, Nigel and Mary Discuss the First Fall Season of So You Think You Can Dance

Nigel & Mary

Season 6 of So You Think You Can Dance marks the first fall season for the show. After being on the air for five summers, Cat Deeley, Nigel Lythgoe, and Mary Murphy talk about what to look forward to for the fall season debut.

What about the fall season are you most looking forward to?

Cat Deeley: I’m just looking forward to seeing how we do, actually. I’m very, very excited. The fact that Fox has this faith in us and are putting us on then is amazing. Obviously, they see the show’s strength and want to capitalize on that. As far as watching the show, people are still incredibly passionate about it, so it’s going to be very, very interesting to see if it does stick or if we move back to summer. Either way we are a hit in the summertime so it’s good. I’m excited about it. It will be interesting – a new slot, a new time, a new challenge. I think it’s going to be good.

Nigel Lythgoe: From what I’ve seen so far from the dancers, the generally high standard is going to be maintained from last season. But I think we have more personalities ready to break out, so that’s what I’m looking forward to from the dancers. From the choreographers, I’m looking for them to be as inspired as they were in Season 5 and take on as interesting subjects as they took on. We’re looking at doing a group competition on our results show. I’m not sure yet what form that’s going to take, but I would like to see Latin American formation team dancing, clogging, hip hop, tap troupe, and anything and everything that gives a reason to enjoy dancing. And it will help brighten up the results show.

Mary Murphy: We’re definitely going to add 20 new amazing dancers and characters to this cast. I think that’s one of the biggest changes, because me, Nigel, and Cat remain the same. I’m sure we’ll have some new guest judges this year, we always do, and new choreographers on the show. I know there is some talk about something different going on during the results shows. It was so fun when we had Ellen, and the JabbawockeeZ, and the different musical artists, so we try to make results shows entertaining even though we do lose two dancers. Sometimes we have such a great time with the group numbers and guest performers and guest singers that we almost forget we’re about to lose two dancers. It’s like a party up until that moment.

Hear more from Cat, Nigel and Mary as they discuss the recently concluded Season 5.

Check out the schedule for season 6 audition episodes.

Comments

29 comments on “Cat, Nigel and Mary Discuss the First Fall Season of So You Think You Can Dance“

1. So You Think You Can Dance - New Fall Season Starts Wed Sept 9: New Schedule for Audition Shows. - wrote:

[...] you’re waiting for Season 6 to begin, find out what Cat, Nigel, and Mary have to say about the new fall season of So You Think You Can [...]

9/3/2009 3:26 PM UTC

2. Kellie Hardy-Bullock - wrote:

I can’t wait!!!!!

9/3/2009 9:54 PM UTC

3. Trish - wrote:

I am looking forward to the New Season now! Every year SYTYCD seems to do at least one thing different and interesting. Season 5 for me was the addition of a couple of new choreographers to the already talented line up.

I like the idea of having a group competition at the results show. Would these be already formed groups or groups that the judges and/or choreographers put together at the auditions? Like in Vegas.

I would also like to see more partner swithching…why? well, if we are to judge on the individual; switching partners every show would let us do that instead of judging on the couple. Just an idea!

Yeah for SYTYCD…keep it real! Oh, I really love the music pieces chosen for the dance routines.

9/4/2009 6:17 AM UTC

4. Owen - wrote:

I can’t wait for the show to start again!

9/7/2009 6:02 AM UTC

5. Kellie Hardy-Bullock - wrote:

I love all the new choreographers except Laurie-anne Gibson.
    Can’t stand her “it’s all about me attitude”. Or her dances.
    She is SOOOOO irritating.

9/7/2009 10:49 PM UTC

6. Suiza - wrote:

SYTYCD must and should be scheduled for Spring, Summer. Fall and Winter!

Love this show!!!

9/9/2009 8:31 PM UTC

7. Brandy Lowe - wrote:

What were the audition shows from last nights season 6 auditions?

9/10/2009 11:32 AM UTC

8. Brandy Lowe - wrote:

Lol whoops i meant “audition songs”

9/10/2009 11:32 AM UTC

9. janedoe101 - wrote:

I was disappointed with the premier… and the dancers being chosen did not look that great… hopefully the other shows will be better.. this is one of the shows that my granddaughter and I have been able to watch and pick our favorites and try to pick the winner.

9/10/2009 11:34 AM UTC

10. Deb Buckley - wrote:

I have been watching the show since season 3 and it just amazes me how these dancers can dance all the different styles. I find this fascinating. I watch American Idol too but I love this show more. I actually believe dancing is much harder than singing so to me there is more talent in dancing than singing. The prep work must be just unreal for the dancers and you can obviously tell they all are hard workers. I wish I were young again! I also love the choreographers too as it is amazing what they put together for the dancers. I will be watching this fall!

9/11/2009 7:00 AM UTC

11. Carol - wrote:

My daughters and I watch all the time and are excited about the Fall show.
    Even though my younger daughter is an aspiring singer, we prefer “So you think..” to IDOL now.
    Good thing you guys don’t compete for the same time slot.

Be careful about being too repetitive with the judges comments. So far you guys do really
    well with this and we can notice your efforts not to just use the same catch phrases over and over. With the exception of Mary’s melodies (you call them screams!)…the commentary by the judges is entertaining and constructive. And, Cat…well what can we say. She is so polished at what she does. We love the choreographers — all shapes and styles of them; and,
    the different personalities and experiences of the judges make for good entertainment and learning too.

You have done a real service by bringing dance to the masses – congratulations.

Good luck on the new season slot…from obvious admirers.

9/11/2009 9:19 PM UTC

12. Michelle - wrote:

I have watched all 5 seasons and am thrilled by the fall season. What I used to call “my summer obssession”, will now be my fall also. I absolutely love when they look back at past seasons and past performers. I feel like I remember them all so well. There are so many dances from past seasons which are wonderfully memorable. I think it will be hard to ever beat the dynamic of season 4, but it is exciting to watch them try. I thought season 5 was lacking a bit in having dances that just wowed me, hopefully that will come back up in stature with this fall season. I have been extremely happy with all 5 of the winners chosen.

Thanks so much for the fantastic show, wonderful talent, and exciting personalities!

9/14/2009 11:39 AM UTC

13. Naz - wrote:

Hi ! I’m from Turkey. I’ve watched all the episodes that has been showed on TV. Your show is amazing. The dancers are so talented and i like to watch the dances over and over again. I just wanna ask u something can u come to Turkey in your tour season because I knew that there are lots of people is watching your show like me in Turkey. That will be awesome if u come here. =))

Thanks a lot for making such an amazing show. =)

9/15/2009 7:42 AM UTC

14. Jo - wrote:

There is only one thing that I really missed these last two seasons that I would LOVE to see this time around! And that’s when Wade Robson choreographed the solo to “Waiting On The World To Change” for the Top10 and each of them had to put their own unique personality into the same choreography. I keep waiting, PLEASE bring it back this season!

9/15/2009 11:34 AM UTC

15. Debbie - wrote:

LOVE SYTYCD haven’t missed a show, this fall gonna be
    hard it being on same time as Dancing with the Stars! Both shows on also NCIS only have 1 DVR why didn’t they put show on different night hate to lose either show cos ratings are good enough.
    My favorite season was Twitch, Katie, Joshua LOVED the season the favorite of season dances on last show still watch it every once in a while cos it’s on DVR. Best dancers personalites, coreo, best all around

9/16/2009 3:38 PM UTC

16. Jane - wrote:

I just finished watching the second episode of Season 6 and I have to say you have me a little scared.

Please, please, please do not go down the road of same sex ballroom dancing as you allowed in this episode tonight. It is not traditional dance and you would be doing your show and your audience a huge disservice by allowing this type of desertion from tradition. I watch this show with my daughter and it is a wonderful time of beautiful dancing and awe inspiring choreography. It would be spoiled by this distraction and unfortunately and much to my dismay we would not continue to watch the show if this were to happen with regularity.

Please do not bend to the winds of political correctness but stay true to the roots of classical and contemporary dance.

9/17/2009 12:06 AM UTC

17. Tekwzrd - wrote:

Have to disagree with Jo….NONONONONONONO bringing back the same choreo for each dancer. By the 3rd time it was like a bad Groundhog Day moment.

That being said….I’m glad they are focusing in on the more positive moments and dancers this year. I kind of miss the OD on auditions that summer brings, but I still love the show.

Season 5 was my 4th year watching and will be my 3rd tour date. Can’t wait for 6 on both counts. ;)

9/17/2009 5:29 AM UTC

18. ELLEN - wrote:

Please,Please, Put the episodes in full on-line.
    I would like to know that I can view part or all of any episode that gets pre-empted by the weather and or any other TV media.

Thanks!!!

9/25/2009 3:59 AM UTC

19. nick Gonzalez - wrote:

I really think they should have me.. Nick Gonzalez do a Tap Hip Hop number for the show.. I just would love to show the world that tap is still amazing to watch and it needs to be showcased… I think it would be amazing.. it cant be just tap.. it has to have soul….. look back at 2nd season and see how you just feel the music.. god bless everyone and please think about it..

Nick Gonzalez

10/25/2009 6:47 PM UTC

20. K Mill - wrote:

The show Monday night was my least favorite show of your ever
    I hope you can figure out how to use the camera’s better with the new stage. Coverage is not very good.

10/26/2009 6:00 PM UTC

21. Panda Internet Security - wrote:

hi there, i just found your website listed on bing, and i would like to say that you compose exceptionally well on your blog. i am very taken by the method that you express yourself, and the message is superb. anyways, i would also like to acknowledge whether you would like to exchange links with my site? i will be more than willing to reciprocate and enter your link on in the link exchange area. anticipating for your respond, i would like to convey my appreciation and gooday!

5/26/2010 11:30 AM UTC

22. maska - wrote:

“The fact that Fox has this faith in us and are putting us on then is amazing.”
    What I can not believe!

6/1/2010 11:46 AM UTC

23. Alecia "work from home online" Lamanna - wrote:

Took me some time to browse all the comments, but I really loved the article. It appeared very helpful to me and I am sure to all the other participants here who have looked at this page, It’s always nice when your not only informed, but also entertained! I’m sure you had fun writing this post. I’m going to grab your rss feed so I don’t miss anything important that you guys may come up with in the future, Thanks…

6/2/2010 6:53 PM UTC

24. DANIEL - wrote:

i am a poker player, i love to play online poker, also like to read your poker blog.

6/2/2010 7:40 PM UTC

25. free typing job - wrote:

I love this specific posting, continue the good work! It’s unusual for me to locate such an active essay in which maintains my own interest. This up-to-date information and facts are mainly appreciated. You folks truly have knowledge of what you will be speaking about. It is due to everyone that your chosen internet discussions like these control to keep their ethics. We appreciate your forum post!!! The info I got from all of these issues actually worked for everybody out!

7/9/2010 6:58 AM UTC

26. Demetrius Tschanz - wrote:

just linked this page on my facebook. it is a very interesting article for anyone.

7/23/2010 8:39 AM UTC

27. Free Bootleg Movies - wrote:

All this sounds very exciting, and I read about it via @DannyBrown as well.

8/3/2010 2:43 PM UTC

28. chanel handbags - wrote:

Great post! I am just starting out in community management/marketing media and trying to learn how to do it well – resources like this article are incredibly helpful. As our company is based in the US, it?s all a bit new to us. The example above is something that I worry about as well, how to show your own genuine enthusiasm and share the fact that your product is useful in that case.

8/13/2010 9:02 PM UTC

29. buy bootleg movies - wrote:

They actually showed how they did it, and used footage from the webcams, showing kids who were clearly unaware.

8/14/2010 6:44 PM UTC