Jeanine Mason Talks About Winning!

Jeanine Mason Greets the Press.

Jeanine Mason Greets the Press.

With her mom, dad, three siblings, and best friend in the audience of the Kodak Theater, Jeanine Mason took home the coveted title of “America’s Favorite Dancer,” edging out Brandon Bryant, Evan Kasprzak, and Kayla Radomski. After her win and only three hours of sleep, Jeanine was as energetic as ever on a press call to discuss her journey and the big win!

Immediately after winning the fifth season of So You Think You Can Dance, Jeanine was met with press and photographers. “I felt like I had just been bust out of my normal life and thrown onto some Hollywood red carpet.” This dancer from Pinecrest, Florida isn’t jaded by all of the attention. “I am so happy to be here, I am so blessed to be here, and loving every second of it. I’m trying to take it all in.”

Even when it came down to just Jeanine and Brandon, Jeanine never expected that she was going to win. The Top 2 were excited because no matter the result, it was a win for Miami, Florida. Every week she prepared herself for the bottom three. Her goal was to make it to the Top 10 so she could go on the tour, and everything after that was icing on the cake. “It’s the greatest feeling ever to hear that people actually picked up the phone and voted for you.”

Jeanine was accepted to UCLA and will be a student there after the tour. Surprising to some people, she won’t be majoring in Dance. Instead, Jeanine is pursuing her degree in Communication Studies. “I’m definitely going to pursue a career in dancing and in acting. So I plan on taking probably three classes a semester so I have more time for auditions and hopefully jobs.” If the dance and acting career doesn’t work out for her, Jeanine hopes to use her future degree to open up doors in the field of broadcast journalism. Performing in movie musicals would be a dream for Jeanine since they incorporate both dancing and acting.

When Jeanine first started dancing, she wasn’t very into it because she was “horrible.” With help from two patient dance teachers and a mom who had a gut feeling that Jeanine was destined to become a dancer, she continued to stick with it and blossomed into an amazing dancer. All of the help and convincing paid off – “I’m so grateful for her,” Jeanine said about her mother. From all of this, Jeanine has learned “never to give up. I need to stop doubting myself, and it took this for me to realize that, but I will never doubt myself again and I just hope people realize that it’s so worth taking a chance.”

Jeanine considers her solo that she performed during the performance finale show to be the turning point for her. “I just wanted to go out there and put on a performance that was something that would be memorable and that would touch someone and hopefully inspire just one person…So that solo was the best moment for me and finishing that turn, and having everyone standing and the judges standing – I honestly was jolted as soon as I finished it.”

During the last week of the competition, on top of general soreness, Jeanine was nursing a gash on her leg that occured during the previous week’s group number. All four dancers were battling injuries and aches, and the Top 4 dancers turned to each other for comfort.

For the new group of dancers who are getting ready to take the stage for Season 6, Jeanine offers the following advice, “Pack extra band-aids if they’re as clumsy as I am.” She also restated her mentality that got her to where she is today, “Never give up. Even in that moment when they think they’re so out of their comfort zone…they can do it and that it is so worth it in the end. Just go out there and give it your best shot.”

The next thing on Jeanine’s list is to enjoy the tour with her fellow So You Think You Can Dance Season 5 finalists. “We really have no idea what’s coming, so we’re so ready for that tour just to meet all the fans and to just see how much love we have, it’s going to be amazing.”

Congratulations, Jeanine Mason and everyone from Season 5 for a wonderful season!

Comments

23 comments on “Jeanine Mason Talks About Winning!“

1. roslyn - wrote:

congratulations janine you are an amazing dancer and i have watched every episode from start to finish and i am so happy that you have won it so congratulations and best wishes and good luck for the future
    from roslyn—-AUSTRALIA

8/28/2009 8:27 PM UTC

2. carmen lozano - wrote:

congratulations even though i would not have picked you in a way quite disappointed for i feel one of the contestants is a much better dancer than what you are, nevertheless you were chosen hence congratulations and more power to you.

8/29/2009 4:34 PM UTC

3. Marisa - wrote:

Congratulations to you Jeanine. I was so happy that you have won this competition. I voted for you constantly. Me and my friends are faithful watchers of the show and will be at the MGM grand for the tour. Look forward to seeing you perform.

8/29/2009 7:04 PM UTC

4. Amanda - wrote:

Great job, Jeanine! You were my absolute favorite throughout the whole competition. I’m ecstatic that you won, and I’m sure you are, too. You & I are alike in the fact that we both love Travis’s piece for you and Jason. I watched that over and over and over, haha. I’m a dancer myself, and sometimes going to classes isn’t at the top of my “what i WANT to be doing” list. Of course, my mom makes me go anyway. But, the story you told about your mom making you take dance and how it resulted in winning So You Think You Can Dance..well it was very inspiring for me. It makes me more eager to go to class, and even when I don’t want to, to suck it up. Because honestly, I can only hope to aspire into something as amazing as you. Professional dancing is my dream and even though I’m hardly 15 now, I’m counting the days until I’m old enough to audition for So You Think You Can Dance. Hopefully my mom pushes me in the right direction like yours did! Well, i can’t wait to see all of the top ten dancing on tour in Atlanta. Once again, congratulations! (:

8/31/2009 2:03 PM UTC

5. Rick and Leslie - wrote:

We felt Jeanine was the whole package when it came down to it.
    Real, fun, sexy, fun! Did we mention fun? And one we watched from the first top 20 show as a consistent standout no matter who her partner. Congrats Jeanine! You’re a Star and and incredible dancer and person!

8/31/2009 3:24 PM UTC

6. Alyssa - wrote:

Many many many congratulations to you, Jeanine! You were my favorite from the very first dance you performed with Phillip (Ne-Yo’s “Mad”). I have watched that piece over and over again because the way you both performed it gave me chills. I love your passion and have been incredibly inspired by your love of dance and your drive to succeed. I was rooting for you the whole way and couldn’t be happier that you won the title of “America’s Favorite Dancer”. I hope you continue to succeed and inspire others the way you have inspired me! :)

9/1/2009 6:05 PM UTC

7. Melissa - wrote:

Congrats Jeanine! I am so happy that you won the competition and was impressed with your wonderful dancing and great attitude. As a UCLA alumnus, I’m so excited that you’re heading to Westwood in the fall. You will absolutely love it!

Break a leg,
    Melissa

9/2/2009 3:19 PM UTC

8. Lisa - wrote:

Congrats Jeanine! You are a wonderful dancer and it was fun to see you develop during the season. Your final solo was amazing! It made me cry… ! :) Big hug and good luck in the future! Lisa from Sweden.

9/3/2009 12:16 AM UTC

9. olivia stamoulis - wrote:

congratulations JEANINE. You are amazing to watch and a beautiful girl I have wanted you to win from the beginning of the show. I am so happy that you won . Good luck for the future,keep up the good work. Congrats again. Loved all your dancing and performances . Big hugs. Love from Olivia. Melbourne.Australia.

9/4/2009 7:02 AM UTC

10. manuela - wrote:

Congratulations Jeanine…all the good staff about you have already been said…you are amazing…1000 hugs. Wish you good luck. Manuela from Sweden.

9/4/2009 1:02 PM UTC

11. Erika - wrote:

Jeanine, when I was little I hated dancing. I thought that it was stupid, but mostly that was because I wasn’t very good at it either. Now I’m in Show Choir at my high school and I love it. I’m not as, well, shapely as most dancers, but I’m okay. I accepted that, but after watching you I realized how much I love dance. You and your performances have inspired me to be a better dancer. I also wanted to say that, also like you, I wish to have a career in acting, singing, and dancing. I watched you from the beginning of the season and never had any doubt that you would win. Thank you for being you, i love your personality and wish you all the best. Erika 16 : Minneapolis, MN

9/4/2009 9:18 PM UTC

12. Dina - wrote:

Congrats jeanine :) you truly deserved to win . Your solo in the finale was breath taking !!- Egypt

9/6/2009 4:20 PM UTC

13. Erin - wrote:

When you nailed that turn, I knew you had it. And I was glad.

9/6/2009 8:13 PM UTC

14. So You Think You Can Dance is almost here! | Dance - wrote:

[...] Here is a great interview with last years winner  Jeanine Mason talking about winning and what comes next for her. [...]

9/7/2009 5:37 PM UTC

15. Shantel - wrote:

This show has me in tears each week, but I love it. Congratulations Jeanine Mason. XOXO Good luck in the future to all of you!!!

9/8/2009 6:50 PM UTC

16. Joey Dees - wrote:

Janine is sooo hot, I am glad she won.

9/9/2009 2:54 AM UTC

17. Kristen - wrote:

Jeanine you are amazing! I saw that you truly grew throughout the season and I couldn’t be more pleased that you won, I can’t wait to see you and the rest of the top 10 on tour!! Keep dancing and stay beautiful – you are a true talent and I wish you the best.

9/9/2009 10:00 AM UTC

18. Anjanette - wrote:

Congratulations Jeanine!!! I have always been rooting for you. I felt you were one of the dark horses early on. It did not matter who your partner was because you made them even better. I love musicals so I hope to hear you be part of one soon. I will definitiely be there to see it. UCLA is the best so enjoy it from one fellow bruin to another. You are an inspiration and like the girl next door… I am so happy for you.

10/21/2009 8:42 PM UTC

19. Liz Cardona - wrote:

you are such an inspiration to my daughter madi who is 11 years oln. She has been in dance since she was 4, and is such a fan of the show, even took her last year to see the show.But, you were different. I would tell her, thats you when you grow up. Beautiful, dark hair, funny, and great sense of humor, hard to find young ladies that my daughter can look up to in the publice eye. I never tell her to be like a celebrity, but you showed that she can also be a dancer, a student, funny, and smart. She will be in sacramento,Ca. Belive me she will have a sign with your name on it and a smile that I hope you can see. Man, how can she meet you?She would love it, maybe with hope and a prayer. Keep striving Sweetie, you are looked up too………

10/28/2009 9:07 AM UTC

20. Liz Cardona - wrote:

Jeanine, You are such an inpiration to my girl Madi. She is 11 years old, and has been dancing since she’s been 4.We have watched this show since the 1st season and even saw it live last year.This year was different. I would tell Madi that I see her in you, but all grown up.Beautiful,dark hair,smart,funny, with a great sense of humor.It’s hard to point out young ladies that she can look up to in the public eye. I never tell her to be like anyone, but you have shown that she can be a dancer, student, funny, and smart. We will be in Sacramento,Ca. to see you guys live, and believe me she will have a sign with your name on it, and a smile that I hope u can see!!One day I hope she can meet you,with hope……Keep striving, you are looked up to…

10/28/2009 12:03 PM UTC

21. DOMONIQUE - wrote:

I AM GLAD FOR JEANINE, SHE HAS THE BEST TECHNIQUE THAT WE HAVE NOT SEEN SINCE DANNY ON THE SHOW, LOVE HER ALWAYS AND SHE WAS ONE OF Y FAVES ALL SEASON, 2ND FEMALE TO WIN THE SHOW AND SHE HAD TOUGH COMPETITION TO BEAT SO, I COMMEND HER, AND GOOD LUCK AT UCLA

10/30/2009 10:10 PM UTC

22. DOMONIQUE - wrote:

JEANINE HAS INSPIRED ME TO DANCE, I AM 14 THOUGH BUT I ALWAYS WANTED TO DO THAT TYPE OF DANCE BUT SEEING HOW SHE WASN’T THAT GREAT WHEN SHE WAS YOUNGER TO GROWING TO A BEAUTIFUL TECHNICAL, STRONG DANCER LETS ME KNOW I HAVE TIME, AND IT IS NEVER TOO LATE, ALSO, DANNY, AND JANETTE INSPIRED ME TOO, PEOPLE WHO HAVE A PASSION AND ADMIT THAT THEY DO SOMETIMES DOUBT THEMSELVES LETS US KNOW THEY ARE HUMAN AND THEY HAVE TO LEARN AND GROW LIKE US! LOVE YOU JEANINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/30/2009 10:16 PM UTC

23. Madi Cardona - wrote:

Hi Jeanine its Madi and I wanted to tell u to look for a pink neon sign that I will be holding at the So You Think You Can Dance Tour on Monday in the Arco Arena. If you could give me a shout out of some sort I will die and never forget it. Thank you and remember to look out for the pink neon sign and also don’t forget that my name is Madi.To me u were my favorite dancer ever on the show and i love the way you dance and on the finale nice outfit and the awesome turn . You are my inspiration and I will never forget u .

11/11/2009 11:13 AM UTC