Jason & Janette Talk About Dance

Janette & Jason, Each with Cat Deeley

Janette & Jason, Each with Cat Deeley

Jason Glover and Janette Manrara had a great run on So You Think You Can Dance, making it all the way to the Top 8 dancers. The day after Jason and Janette were eliminated on the one hundredth episode of Dance, they opened up about their time on the show, the tour, and what the future may hold for them.

Jason Glover, a Contemporary/Lyrical dancer from Fresno, California, won over America and the judges with his strong solos and “puppy dog” face. He may have found himself in the bottom several times, but Nigel said Jason had the best solo in all five seasons of the show!

On Jason’s Dance profile page, he mentions that Michael Jackson is a huge inspiration to him as a dancer. When Jason was a kid, before he started dancing in a studio, his mom would play Michael Jackson tapes and he would mimic his movement. Just minutes before taking the stage during a live results show, Jason got the news that Michael had passed. “I think I kind of shut down the rest of the day because for me, that was my idol, that was my inspiration, that was the reason why I started dancing.”

The very first week of the competition, Jason and his partner Caitlin drew a Bollywood routine that made a strong impression on the judges and America. When asked if that put him at an advantage or disadvantage, Jason said, “I think it was nice to start off the competition with that right out of the gates with Caitlin. I think we performed it very well but on the other hand, had that come at a later stage, I think that it would have given people a chance to see a different side of us.” However, Jason has no regrets- “I don’t think I could have done any better…Overall, it’s been a great experience and I couldn’t have asked for more.”

Although not sure where the future will take him, Jason would love the opportunity to choreograph and perhaps be a choreographer on So You Think You Can Dance. “Just as long as I’m dancing, that’s the only thing that’s important to me,” Jason said.

Jason was emotional during his Top 8 exit. He said he was prepared to go home, but watching the clips package of his journey, paired with an emotional song, brought on the waterworks. Ever the optimist, Jason said that he and Janette discussed that the 100th episode was the time to depart the show if ever because “it wasn’t a goodbye, it was a celebration.”

Janette Manrara, a bubbly Salsa dancer from Miami, Florida, tackled every style of dance with a lot of personality. As a result, she won over the judges, and Mia Michaels and Nigel Lythgoe admitted that she was their favorite dancer.

In order to compete on So You Think You Can Dance, Janette left her bank job in the corporate world. “It was a major risk that I took but I think it was a risk worth taking.   It’s just such a different life. It just feels more like home to be on stage dancing and getting ready and makeup and hair and all that than sitting behind a desk and filling out paperwork for other people. I just feel better.” Janette plans on pursuing dance as her career now. “My heart is in performing,” she stated.

Although Janette made every style look easy when she performed it, she mentioned that she struggled to learn a few styles including jazz and tango. With a lot of practice and help from her partner Brandon, she was able to carry off the routines on stage. Janette is hoping that her Cha Cha and Tango with Brandon make the tour. She would pick the Cha Cha because it was fun and uplifting, and the tango because she and Brandon were stoked to receive a standing ovation for that number. Nigel called their tango “the closest thing to perfection” that he’s ever seen on the SYTYCD stage!

When asked if being told she was the judges’ favorite as she was sent packing was a hard thing to hear or a nice thing to hear, Janette said it made it easier to leave knowing she had the support of the judges. She feels a great sense of accomplishment to be a Salsa dancer who won over a Contemporary choreographer.

As a huge Ellen DeGeneres fan, Janette “jumped for joy” when she found out Ellen would be on the show. When Janette proclaimed her admiration to Ellen, the Emmy winning talk show host said she was a fan of Janette. “It was amazing!” Janette exclaimed.

Despite being eliminated, Janette is leaving with her head held high. “I still accomplished something great and I still reached a goal that I think a lot of other dancers would love to, and might still, reach.  It’s bittersweet.”

Comments

35 comments on “Jason & Janette Talk About Dance“

1. hannah - wrote:

Janette should have been the winner this year!! I was not a fan at the beginning of the season but she definitely won me over with her versatility and charisma. What a fantastic dancer!! She is truly a star!!!

8/1/2009 12:44 PM UTC

2. gib stuve - wrote:

We have watched each program for the past five years and are so disappointed to see the two male dancers that remain for the final. I hope that people vote for the final on talent- not cute!!

8/1/2009 1:23 PM UTC

3. Anne - wrote:

Without Janette, the show is FLAT. She brought the dances to life. I couldn’t wait to see her perform. What an amazing dancer.

8/1/2009 3:03 PM UTC

4. So You Think You Can Dance | All Days Long - wrote:

[...] So You Think You Can Dance – Jason & Janette Talk About Dance By Blogger Jason Glover and Janette Manrara had a great run on So You Think You Can Dance, making it all the way to the Top 8 dancers. The day after Jason and Janette were eliminated on the one hundredth episode of Dance, they opened up about … So You Think You Can Dance – http://www.fox.com/blogs/dance/ [...]

8/1/2009 5:34 PM UTC

5. ole - wrote:

that american judge, the woman. She makes my ears blled when she screams! Dont scream please!

8/2/2009 5:45 AM UTC

6. moon flower - wrote:

Janette – YOU GO GIRL!! I am a huge fan — you are an absolutely TREMENDOUS dancer and you won over America AND the judges with your extraordinary talent, excellent attitude, joyful good cheer and drive for excellence!

What a wonderful and wonderous pair you make with Brandon! Thank you for your inspiring participation. Me and my husband are devoted fans!

We absolutely loved your Tango — it blew us away. Could not believe how magnificent it was! And we loved the Thief Dance (can’t remember the choreographer) — it was so playful, perfectly executed, and so much fun.

Perhaps we’ll get crazy and buy tickets for the tour, because we’d love to see you all live.

xoxo

8/2/2009 1:17 PM UTC

7. A. Harrison - wrote:

I have refused to watch the show since Janette was kicked off.
    She was HANDS DOWN the most talented dancer on the show, and it really saddens me to think that America could not see it.

And I hope the judges/producers will be more conscience of the talent for next year. I felt as if aside from a SELECT FEW, there choices were sub par in comparison to their past seasons.
    Janette, you dont know me, but I am a BIG fan- and I am looking forward to seeing you do great things- and if I’m lucky, performing with you soon.

8/2/2009 2:08 PM UTC

8. I'm not against Katie...but that was horrid - wrote:

so I just watched the katie holmes video from SYTYCD to see what all the hopla was about…not only did I get dumber from the interview, I think I now have a migrane from her peircing voice, horrible lip synching and ridiculous coreography. You know, you have to be one hell of a singer/dancer to even try and imitate judy garland.

8/3/2009 1:35 PM UTC

9. Kelly Gordon - wrote:

I just watched the re-run of the Season 5 auditions on REAL Channel today. I have never emailed a television show before but Mia Michaels comments towards Brandon prompted me to do so. Her very personal comments about Brandon were astonishing! She’s supposed to be a professional and a “teacher”? What I want to know was what did she feel she was accomplishing by make those very personal and snipping comments towards Brandon? And her follow-up explanation about being hard on those she expects much of were a load of crap cause I have watched all 5 seasons and the people she likes she acts normally and professionally towards, as a mentor of sorts. Not so with Brandon, I can’t believe Nigel did not give her a good talking to about what the guidelines are for “constructive criticism”. I lost a lot of respect for Mia Michaels and now whenever she speaks I am suspect. What did this guy ever to do her to cause her to spew such vitriol towards him? I believe she owes him and a “genuine” apology and not such a thinly veiled one that she tried for the 1st time out. Additionally her comment about the “bunny rabbits and puppies” was petty towards Brandon, just makes her look very jealous and small minded. Now there! I’ve vented my frustrations! My advice: put her through a sensitivity training class!

8/3/2009 8:50 PM UTC

10. Varun - wrote:

Okay, of course Janette deserved to win but Jason was robbed too… i’m not just saying this because I’m his biggest fan… he was the most consistent performer of the night… Mia Michaels attacking Jason’s performance and oozing love for Kayla was truly uncalled for… and beautiful piece Tyce, but you just lost all of my respect… , I have nothing against your age Melissa but your expiry date had come… okay maybe Jason’s solo wasn’t the best but overall he was lightyears past Evan in technique and strength… Evan really can’t do justice to any ballroom or hip hop hip hop routines, or any of his partners either… Nice guy, not the best dancer… But back to Jason, i might even go as far to argue that he’s a better dancer than Ade who’s solo, minus the backflips, are no better and doesn’t exude any passion or energy in any of his performances… “gentle giant” might’ve worked for the ballet and contemp routines but that cheesy smile doesn’t do it for me, to say the least…. i’m dissapointed in you, america… I really hope Jeanine wins because she’s the most genuine and passionate one left, even though brandon truly is this year’s Joshua… Yes, Kayla, you’re really good, but show us some personality for godsake, or fake it atleast… and Evan… enough said… I’ll keep my fingers crossed for now, I guess… I’m sorry Jason…. You are, for lack of a better word, the shiz…

8/3/2009 11:33 PM UTC

11. Janette - wrote:

I think the TOP 4 should have been Janette, Brandon, Jeanine, and Ade they are the best dancers. Kayla always look desperate especially when she does her solo’s, and Evan has not impressed me yet. He must have a lot of friends cause he should have been gone a long time ago, Jason was even better then him.

8/4/2009 7:26 AM UTC

12. Bug - wrote:

Those of you who’ve responded here should have a look at the posts about Jason and Janette being eliminated – lots of good comments and points made. (I hope Janette and Jason have a look too!) Varun, I’m with you about Jason and as I’ve stated in the J&J eliminated blog, I thought Jason was the dancer who showed the most growth over the weeks of the show, and Janette was the dancer who showed perpetual excellence, regardless of what she was asked to do – she was a real joy to watch. They both should still be on the show, and I’m no longer watching because I was totally disgusted with all the remaining dancers (except for Brandon) in comparison to Janette and Jason.

8/5/2009 1:22 PM UTC

13. Bug - wrote:

Oh, and in response to Kelly’s comment about Mia Michaels – someone at the blog site on Jason & Janette’s elimination made an excellent point about choreographers learning from Sonya’s treatment of the dancers she choreographs. I replied I thought Sonya appears egoless. Mia seems to have an over-inflated ego. I agree with you that what she said to Brandon at the beginning was unprofessional and mean-spirited. And the comment she made later in the actual competition, about being harder on dancers she likes, was total and obvious bull that fooled no one watching her mealy-mouthed attempt at justifying her earlier attitude and comments.

And Ole – you just have to hit the mute button when judge Mary Murphy comes on – when I first heard her there was some novelty to her actions and vocalizations. Now its predictable, annoying and probably even a health hazard!

8/5/2009 1:36 PM UTC

14. Claude - wrote:

I think that all 3 judges, specially Nigel, made it clear that Evanns should not be the winner.

I think they were rude and I hope Rvans wins.

he is a great dancer, honnest and true.

Good luck Evans and hope that America will shut up those make belief judges.

8/5/2009 7:16 PM UTC

15. mason - wrote:

UNFAIR for Nigel to perdict the winnners out of the FOUR finalist!
    Why not go another week if your going to influence the viewer like that.
    So, the other two didn’t need to try to win when he narrows it down before voting.
    Voice your opinion after,who you think should win! Not before.

8/5/2009 10:39 PM UTC

16. jane - wrote:

Best show on TV! But I do think that Nigel’s double-entendres are completely inappropriate, even creepy for the young female performers (and their parents). Otherwise, a fantastic, exciting season!

8/6/2009 8:04 AM UTC

17. Annabella Hall - wrote:

I have an idea for SYTYCD next season. Since it’s the 50th anniversary of Hawaii becoming a state, how about a big hula production to honor our 50th State. There are several kumu hula masters in the Los Angeles area that you could get to work with the dancers. It would be awesome! If you need any kumu hula master information, contact me.
    Annabella Hall

8/6/2009 8:41 AM UTC

18. Cindy Sharp - wrote:

I think the judges were rude and critical of Evan, everyone else

8/6/2009 10:29 AM UTC

19. Lenin - wrote:

She got robbed, seriously the guys who are left, no nearly as good dancers as this chick, what a shame!

8/6/2009 10:36 AM UTC

20. regina - wrote:

Where do I track down the music from tonight’s episode. I’m dying to download from ITunes!

8/6/2009 6:50 PM UTC

21. Joe - wrote:

Clearly, Brandon is easily the best and most versatile dancer. The show will certainly lose viewers due to this obvious injustice. Also, how can 1st, 3rd and 4th place finishers get an interview but 2nd place doesn’t?

8/6/2009 7:35 PM UTC

22. Jean - wrote:

I loved Jeanette, her and Branden were always my favorite. But Jeannine did awesome to! But, living in Canada I couldn’t vote. Can that change next season?

8/6/2009 11:05 PM UTC

23. Speedy - wrote:

I think Mia might have a over-inflated ego, yes, but her artistry is so unique that I’m more than ready to trade one thing for the other. She’s not the best as far as evaluating the true potential of some dancers either. I just consider her to be the typical mad psychologically unstable genius. There are plenty of examples of very talented artists in art’s history that were trully a disaster in their lives or their behaviour. So what I wouldn’t stand from a “normal” human being, I’m ready to stand it from a great artist like Mia.

Jason was technically very good but not smooth enough for me, except in that piece with Jeanine.

Brandon deserves to have come to the finale and so does Kayla and Jeanine. Not Evan in my opinion. And Jeanette deserved to be in Jeanine’s place, since Jeanine is good, but not as good as Kayla. Brandon and Ade should be the men competing. My opinion only.

8/7/2009 6:47 AM UTC

24. breanna - wrote:

i ♥ brandon because he is a good dancer

8/7/2009 4:13 PM UTC

25. MARY - wrote:

I THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE 2 WINNERS. MALE AND FEMALE. THEY BOTH HELP EACH OTHER DANCE AND ONE CANNOT DO IT WITHOUT THE OTHER. WITHOUT THE LIFTS THAT BRANDON DID, JEANINE WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO SHOW HOW GREAT SHE IS. THEY BOTH DESERVED TO WIN AND I THINK YOU SHOULD CONSIDER HAVING A MALE AND FEMALE WINNER IN THE FUTURE. A MALE’S DANCE IS DIFFERENT FROM THE FEMALE AND THEY SHOULD NOT BE JUDGED AGAINST EACH OTHER.

8/7/2009 4:34 PM UTC

26. Mari - wrote:

To Joe: I absolutely agree!!! Every single other dancer who has ever been on the show has gotten an interview, and they just sweep Brandon aside like he doesn’t exist. He should have gotten to speak, and then they could have turned it over to Jeanine. Don’t get me wrong– Jeanine is a gorgeous, incredible dancer and she deserved to win, but so did Brandon. I’ve never seen anyone like him, he’s just naturally gifted, full of passion, and practically perfect at every style he does. Truly outstanding. They really should have a male and female winner!!!

And on the note of outstanding, Janette is wonderful and adorable and I wish she had been in the top four. Coming from a dancer, it is really impressive to pick up styles you’re not familiar with and dance them like they’re your own. She and Brandon were the dream team! Also nothing against Evan, but seriously? I think even he knows he was out of his league. Jason should have gone through instead.

I have nothing against any of these dancers, they all seem like great people and they are all amazing. I just wish America could get past its superficiality and vote for the right people sometimes. Or maybe that Nigel restructures the show a little. Or that dancers who know what to look for pick up the phone more often. Who knows.

8/7/2009 4:52 PM UTC

27. Betty Montano - wrote:

PLEASE CONSIDER HAVING BOTH FEMALE AND MALE WINNERS. I HAVE WATCHED EVERY PROGRAM EVERY YEAR. EACH YEAR IT HAS
    BECOME MORE AND MORE APPARENT THAT THIS SUGGESTION, IF
    ENACTED, WOULD MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR THE COMPETITION TO BE JUDGED MUCH MORE FAIRLY.

8/14/2009 4:33 PM UTC

28. Davy - wrote:

If it was about the judges only, Janette would have won. She’s been my # 1 since the beginning, I was sure she was gonna make it to the end, flawless, all the time. My favourite dancer was Kupono though, whose beauty and charisma, were just an extraordinary add-on to his own style dancing. He is an excellent, professional dancer and should have stayed much further on the show, unlike Evan, who should have left much earlier… As for Janette, to get back to her, I love her great personality, latino touch and explosive presence, all the time. Jason of course, was also an extraordinary asset to the show, and i’m sure a great dance career is now open to him…

D.

8/19/2009 6:57 PM UTC

29. Jane - wrote:

OH AMERICA !!!!!! what were you thinking to not to keep Janette in until the end.
    She was by far the most exciting and most talented dancer to watch.

GET YOUR EYES CHECK PLS.

SAGGYPANTS
    AUSTRALIA

8/21/2009 10:40 PM UTC

30. V - wrote:

I am a Chinese audience, I will support you. Janette,You are my heart the first!!!!!Refueling!!!!!!!!!!!

8/23/2009 10:19 AM UTC

31. Vina - wrote:

Janette,Although you do not have to come first, but you are my heart first. I hope you know that many Chinese audiences also support you. In the days to come, you will surely shine with greater splendor.

8/23/2009 10:26 AM UTC

32. DILENIA - wrote:

I WAS SOOO DISSAPOINTED WHEN JANETTE LEFT, SHE SHOULD’VE WON! SHE WAS THE BEST ONE!

9/5/2009 5:59 AM UTC

33. Danielle - wrote:

I was disappointed to see the young man rejected at the LA auditions, the one who did not use any music. His piece I thought was absolutely fantastic. The use of breath, spoken word and facial expressions was done so well with the modern dance style. I am a dancer myself and I wonder why more of the judges are not professional dancers. I’m disappointed because this young man was unique and very talented, but just because his style did not fit into the ‘mold’ or style the judges wanted he got rejected. I don’t remember his name, but he dance beautifully.

9/9/2009 5:18 PM UTC

34. DOMONIQUE - wrote:

MICHAEL WAS MY INSPIRATION TOO, I TRY TO KEEP HIM ALIVE BY LISTENING TO A SONG A DAY OR LOOKING AT SOME OLD MJ PHOTOS, I TRIED TO MIMIC HIM TOO BUT I GOT NO WHERE, I AM WITH YOU JASON, THIS SHOULD MAKE YOU BECOME A BETTER DANCER, LIKE FOR ME I WANT TO DANCE BUT I ALWAYS FOUND MYSELF FOR SINGING, ME SINGING IS NOW MORE WORTH BECAUSE I HAVE SOME THING GREATER THAN JUST ME, MY INSPIRATION, LOVE YOU JASON AND JANETTE!KEEP DANCING, CAUSE YOU ARE ONE OF MY DEFINITE FAVES ON SYTYCD

10/30/2009 10:29 PM UTC

35. DOMONIQUE - wrote:

JANETTE, I LOVE YOUR POSITIVITY, YOU BRING ME UP, YOUR PROFILE SAID YOU STARTED DANCING AND TRAINING A LITTLE LATER THAN MOST DANCERS, YOU INSPIRE ME TO GO AND TAKE BALLROOM, I AM 14, I WANTED YOU TO WIN, BECAUSE NO MATTER WHAT YOU DID, YOU MADE EVERYTHING SOMEHOW FEEL ALRIGHT, HOPE YOU COME AND CHOREOGRAPH, BUT I AM STILL HAPPY FOR THE WINNER, LOVE YOU TOO JEANINE, STAY JUST THE WAY YOU ARE, YOU HAD THE HEARTS OF AMERICA, AND YOU WILL KEEP WINNING OVER THE YOUTH, SO WILL THE OTHER TOP DANCERS LOVE YOU JANETTE!

10/30/2009 10:36 PM UTC