WED 8/7c JUL 23

Top 4 Finalists Revealed on So You Think You Can Dance

Top 4 Finalists

Brandon Bryant, Evan Kasprzak, Jeanine Mason and Kayla Radomski were named SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE’s Top 4 finalists after host Cat Deeley revealed that Melissa Sandvig, 29, a Ballet dancer from Los Alamitos, CA and Ade Obayomi, 20, a Contemporary dancer from Orange County, CA were eliminated from the competition.

The two-night, four-hour season finale of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE promises to be the series’ most spectacular showdown ever! The Top 4 will compete one last time in the hopes of winning America’s vote and the title of America’s Favorite Dancer, a $250,000 cash prize and a featured spot on the cover of the November issue of Dance Spirit magazine. Judges Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy, as well as guest judges Mia Michaels, Tyce Diorio, Adam Shankman and Debbie Allen, will offer critiques on the final performances of the season. Broadcast for the first time from the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood, the finale will air Wednesday, Aug. 5 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) and Thursday, Aug. 6 (8:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed) on FOX.

In addition to naming America’s Favorite Dancer, the two-hour live finale will feature performances by this season’s Top 20 dancers, Hip Hop dance team The Rage Boyz Crew and Talia Fowler, winner of Season Two of “So You Think You Can Dance Australia.” The celebration will also showcase encore performances of the Judges’ favorite routines from Season Five.

The Top 4 finalists had this to say about what it would mean to win Season Five of SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE and become America’s Favorite Dancer:

Brandon Bryant

Brandon Bryant
Dance Specialty: Contemporary
Hometown: Miami, FL
Currently Resides: Salt Lake City, UT
Age: 20

“It would prove that I can accomplish anything I put my mind and heart into. Being able to show the world what I can do and what I love to do is amazing. Watching the show for the past four years and learning so much from the past winners, I feel like if I did get the chance to be America’s Favorite Dancer, I could hold my head high and say to myself, ‘I did it.’”

Evan Kasprzak

Evan Kasprzak
Dance Specialty: Broadway
Hometown: West Bloomfield, MI
Currently Resides: West Bloomfield, MI
Age: 22

“Winning would be tremendous and unbelievable. It would mean that I achieved my ultimate goal for the show. It would be the beginning of a new chapter in my life, and many new opportunities would be available to me. It would allow me to continue to pursue what I love with confidence and show that I can tackle any challenge presented.”

Jeanine Mason

Jeanine Mason
Dance Specialty: Contemporary
Hometown: Miami, FL
Currently Resides: Pinecrest, FL
Age: 18

“Winning would mean having the confidence never to succumb to any obstacle. I came so close to missing out on the most incredible experience of my life because I didn’t believe in myself. It would be more than a personal victory. My winning would be a resounding victory for the underdogs and those who helped by encouraging them to dream and reach for what seems unattainable.”

Kayla Radomski

Kayla Radomski
Dance Specialty: Jazz/Contemporary
Hometown: Aurora, CO
Currently Resides: Aurora, CO
Age: 18

“If I were to win, I would be so grateful. It would mean that dreams do come true, and would show that you should never stop believing in yourself. It would also show that I have not only proved myself as a well-rounded performer and person, but also that all my hard work has paid off. I love dancing and performing more than anything in the world and I am grateful for the opportunity to share my love of dance and am so thankful for the great support and dance education I have had. Dance is a part of me – it takes me to a place that makes me truly happy. I would absolutely love to be America’s Favorite Dancer!”

Comments

178 comments on “Top 4 Finalists Revealed on So You Think You Can Dance“

1. kathy - wrote:

Was very disappointed in the outcome!! The dancers this year were phenomenal!! I wish the judges had more say in the final decision. All 4 finalist were good, but Brandon was the BETTER dancer. All dancers’ seemed to up their game after dancing with Brandon.

8/6/2009 9:04 PM UTC

2. tori - wrote:

unfortunatley, i am not a trained dancer. i say unfortunatley because this show has given me such inspiration and i wish i still danced :( im a level 8 gymnast myself. i began doing ballet when i was 3 but i quit and went to gymnastics. im really good at it (not to be concieded) but i wish i was still dancing. Jeanine has been such an inspiration to me and i am so happy that she won! she is my hero! Jeanine if you are reading this i truley think you are an amazing person who has made an impact on my life! :)

8/6/2009 9:07 PM UTC

3. Mariah - wrote:

Kayla is and always will be my favorite dancer. I’ve never seen anyone move like her, she’s the best!!!!

8/6/2009 9:28 PM UTC

4. Ilovethenightlife! - wrote:

I hated what the judges did last night to Evan and especially Kayla! They should have kept most of the comments they made way more professional than they did. Even tonight they were still at, it they suck!
    I loved Kayla she was so great in everything she did, she always had the
    highest praise, what happened? It seems at the last minute they decided they wanted Brandon or Jeanine to win and unfortunately they got exactly what they wanted…way to go America! Jeanine was good but not as good as Kayla and no way did she deserve to come in behind Evan. I am never watching this crap again, don’t doubt the winner is pre- determined. Kayla your the winner as far as I am concerned!

8/6/2009 9:31 PM UTC

5. george - wrote:

This season lacked personality and competitiveness and to give an example Brandon and Evan’s “Nasty boy routine” just felt like slaughter to me. Like having a wolf wrestle with a lamb….it wasn’t a fair fight. Compare their “competitiveness” to Josh and Twitch last year in the trepak…see the difference? Jeanine and kayla tho both seemed like formidable opponents for each other. The cool calm calculated beauty vs the athletic, shapely, vibrant persona.

8/6/2009 10:05 PM UTC

6. Penelope - wrote:

First of all, for all of you crying about poor little Evan, the judges were telling everyone that he wasn’t that great because he should have never been in the final 4. I remember hearing some pretty harsh words come out of Mia’s mouth a few times to Brandon and Ade, I don’t hear any comments about that! The show is called “so you think you can DANCE”. NOT “so I think you have a cute face” or “so I feel sorry for you because everybody is picking on you” or “so I think your a great ballerina”.(Mellisa was also in longer than she should have been, again about a routine, not the dancing). If it’s all about how cute you are, then why do they even have judges??? The judges are there to critique the DANCING. That means how each person does in every genre. That’s why the dancers work so hard. It is to prove how talented they are!!! I hope the next season voting is changed to let it up to the judges so that the dancers that really have talent end up at the end, not the one for the sympathy votes!!! I was glad to see Jeanine win!!! With Brandon and Kayla it made a great top 3. Jason or Ade would have made a great top 4. They had the most talent!!!

8/6/2009 10:07 PM UTC

7. Use2Dance - wrote:

I believe the final vote to be left up to real dancers and not the mainstream audience.

Most final decisions of people who are just watching will vote on outward appearance or beauty, and not on skills.

BRANDON was the true winner — he had awesome skills, and reflected in mostly every style. He was quick on his feet and all around performer. Jeanene was good but if you run a playback you will see her fall behind sometimes.

It does the dancers a disservice to allow millions of non-dancers to vote on their skills.

8/6/2009 10:11 PM UTC

8. Leslie N - wrote:

I love your show, but I think whoever staged the last two finalists really messed up. All the contestants got to say what they enjoyed most about the show, who they would miss, thank the choreographers, and their favorite moments with the EXCEPTION of Brandon. He was dropped into the abyss with not another word once Janeen won. Brandon had no closure with his fans. Badly done, poor manners. With an English gentleman directing the show, how could like faux pas happen?

8/6/2009 10:11 PM UTC

9. W - wrote:

I’ve been a professional dancer, choreographer, and now direct and choreograph music videos. Janine’s win is not surprising to me. She made the most growth over the season among the finalists and reality audiences thrive on these type of journeys. For all of you who love Brandon (as I do), don’t forget how often reality ‘runners-up have gone on to move far beyond the contest winner. Case in point? Season two’s runner up Travis Wall. His career is really lighting up, far beyond the winner of season two. Same has happended time and again on American Idol, Top Model, etc. Janine competed fiercely and is a worthy winner, but keep your eye on Brandon and Kayla. They’re just getting started…

8/6/2009 10:31 PM UTC

10. AT - wrote:

Well, I am disappointed with the results but a bit reassured by the comments I see on this blog. Brandon, you were PERFECT all season long, you deserved this title and you have nothing else to prove. You did it already, and it means nothing that you didn’t win. YOU R THE BEST! I agree that Kayla should have been up there with Brandon, but between the two, I would have still chosen Brandon. Jeanine has talent and personality, I think she was popular and won because of that. But come on people, seriously? Best dancer?
    Ade should have been up there instead of Evan, and why on earth did Janette get eliminated? She should have been in the finale too.

Brandon, you ROCK! Never think less of yourself because you didn’t win. The people who know anything about dancing know that you should have won!

8/6/2009 10:46 PM UTC

11. Olga - wrote:

I’m sorry that I’m in Canada and not eligible to vote. It was devastating to watch the results tonight. Kayla and Brandon were by far the best dancers on the show this season and either of them deserved to win tonight. They haven’t made one wrong step this whole season. I guess America got jealous that such amazing people exist amongst the gray masses. SHAME ON YOU!!!
    I’m hoping to see much more from both of these amazing dancers.
    KAYLA and BRANDON ROCK!!!!!
    And as far as I’m concerned Jeanette should have been in the finals with Kayla in the first place.
    Get your eyes checked, America.

8/6/2009 10:47 PM UTC

12. delisa levine - wrote:

I just have to say that the results show tonight was truly FABULOUS! I laughed, I cried, but most of all I just enjoyed the spectacular dancing. The structure of the show, with the judges picking their favorite routines, was ingenious. I was hooked for every minute, not just fast forwarding to get to the results. Seeing the judges up there was such a treat. It is nice to see them joking around like real people up on the stage. I think Mia Michael’s is a true genius. I don’t always like her style, but when I do I am moved to pieces. I hope that SYTYCD decides to stay with that format for the finale next year. I enjoyed every minute and think that Jeanine makes a fine winner (Brandon or Janette would also have). My hats off to the producers and directors of the show tonight as well as to Cat who is always a pleasure to watch. Kudos to all! Looking forward to another great season.

8/6/2009 10:48 PM UTC

13. Tracy - wrote:

This season was phenomenal and my FAVORITE is Brandon. He radiated passion and energy that moved me every time he danced and I wanted him to win. His talent is epic and I hope that he is celebrating tonight for the way that he wowed America!!!

8/6/2009 10:58 PM UTC

14. Heather - wrote:

I really respect Janine for her hard work and I am the first to agree that she is an awesome dancer, but let’s face it she doesn’t compare to Brandon. I think these shows and contest to a certain degree are rigged. My opinion is due to the fact they had a black male to win last season that it was no way in heck for them to allow another black male to win this season, no matter how talented and gifted he truly was. Maybe, in the 7th season it will be their turn again.

8/6/2009 11:14 PM UTC

15. Bianca - wrote:

BRANDON SHOULD HAVE WON!!!!! I’M NEVER WATCHING THIS SHOW AGAIN!! Brandon was more talented he nailed every task thrown at him. Brandon was great at every style of dance. Jeanine was good, but not as great as Brandon. Brandon is better than jeanine. If they were to battle Brandon would definitely win no doubt about it. This contest was rigged. I think they were just racist with the decision! BRANDON if you read this You were amazing and this is only the beginning for you! God has something instore for you and your amazing talent that he blessed you with!

8/6/2009 11:40 PM UTC

16. Carla - wrote:

Was anyone else annoyed by the camera action last night? They were in and out and over here and over there. There was one camera angle that was so far off that you really couldn’t even see the people on the stage anymore.

8/7/2009 4:14 AM UTC

17. Brittany - wrote:

I have been a professional dancer since I was 8 years old thanks to Suzy Stone and the Hip Hop Kidz. I have danced with the best of the best, including Brandon Bryant, Cassie Scerbo (from Make it or break it and bring it on 4), and johnny (from dance on sunset). Honestly I think that the final four did amazing this year. Evan has his own style which is difficult to understand. I feel that he tries very hard but just couldn’t keep up with people like brandon and ade. Kayla is wonderful as well, but she kept her personality hidden all season and sadly it wasn’t enough to show it the night before the finale. Jeanine always seemed in the background to me. I think that she’s good but it really didn’t help to tell fans that she hated dance. Now I feel as if she’s fake. Anyways congrats on the win. Brandon has gone through so much in his dance journey in his life. He’s been rejected and torn down all the time. He was rejected the first time he tried out for sytycd and I saw the reluctance in his face on audition day this season. He has grown so much this season, but people don’t see that because he’s always been fantastic. Like evan, he’s been torn down by the judges like lil c and mia michaels. I know that I would have a hard time working with a choreographer that had it out to get me eliminated. What I love so much about him is that no matter how hard he tries he takes harsh criticism like a pro and always with a smile. I know that he has what it takes to continue to strive for excellence. This is not the last that america will see of brandon. Although he didn’t win, I know that he will do something great and be known throughout the world as america’s favorite dancer!

8/7/2009 7:11 AM UTC

18. koabella - wrote:

I have to say that I was disappointed with Brandon not winning. I feel he was the strongest dancer from the beginning at auditions and really was 100% on every single step he took. I couldn’t wait to see what he did next with each routine – and he never disappointed. What a phenomenal dancer!!!
    I think Kayla was amazing and again never made a wrong step… Still for me the energy Brandon put out there while performing will always put him number one in my eyes.

8/7/2009 7:50 AM UTC

19. D - wrote:

Penelope you are entitled to your opinion as I am. I feel that you are way off base with your comments. The Comments from the “judges” on Wed. towards Evan was way off base. If Evan should not have been in the finals then he should have been alienated several weeks ago. To have the executive producer say who should win just exemplifies that the voting process is not an accurate measurement. If you remember when Mia was not so much interested in Brandon it was early in the season not the last night of voting. Penelope, your use of this example is no where close to the maligning action of the judges towards Evan. The “judges” told the viewers how to vote and, I believe, pre- determined the outcome.

8/7/2009 10:48 AM UTC

20. Jim - wrote:

Kayla,
    I have watched all seasons and by far you were my favorite and have a great career ahead of you. I feel it was a dumb comment by Nigel about your persoanlity just coming out. Every dance routine I saw it and in the groups you were the dancer that stood out. Great job and you are number one period. The voting is not fair and is a popularity contest. A person can vote a thousand times for the same dancer and is that fair. I hope to see you on stage in the movies or somewhere when you make it BIG. I am such a fan and think you are the best dancer and best looking girl I have ever seen dance!! Ps I am not hitting on you I am 60 and my daughters who are 25 and 30 think the same.

Jim

8/7/2009 2:38 PM UTC

21. Lylafire - wrote:

Ade was amazing way better than Evan who though is a nice guy lacks TALENT!! I just don’t get it. If he was hot I could see why people were voting for him but he is such dork. Go Brandon and Jeanine.

8/7/2009 4:09 PM UTC

22. Fairness - wrote:

I am pretty much a fair person….and I know my feelings and opinion are not isolated and is shared by others; I am really disappointed by the results of the show. It was one of my favorate shows, but the show seems to be leading towards prostituting (using for selfish and personal gain) exceptional dancers, by taking their time, efforts, and emotions and then crushing them at the end. Eveyone in thier right mind knows that Brandon is the best and Jeanine can not compare to Brandon. Brandon entertained, showed skill, personality and talent every night, the show would have not been successfull had it not been for a few other dancers greater and more talented than the winner. I dont understand, and I would encourage all exceptional and great dancers not to be used and then slapped in the face at the end. To all great dancers, let the “average” dancers be apart of “So you think you can dance” and maintain your integrity. Great Dancers must know that they can and will meet “GREATNESS” with or without this show. Fairness is always appreciated.

8/8/2009 7:29 AM UTC

23. cat - wrote:

KUDOS to KAYLA—She was the ONLY dancer who had to perform AFTER being eliminated as an contestant. Can you imagine the emotional rollercoater she must have been on all evening, and then have to perform such a demanding piece as Mia’s “addiction” number. I don’t know how or where you found your strength, courage, and conviction to step back out on stage Kayla. In your performance you were TRULY “dancing for your life”. The result is the most heartfelt and courageous performance of the season.

All the Top 10 dancers are fabulous and I hope they are appropriately compensated in their tour.

8/8/2009 12:34 PM UTC

24. guilty pleasures – adrienne-is - wrote:

[...] get to see my favorite-favorite dancers!! Not that it matters now, but in my own opinion the top four dancers should have been the following: Melissa, Ade, Brandon and Janette. Brandon should have taken the [...]

8/8/2009 2:11 PM UTC

25. Anais Harvey - wrote:

Brandoon you are my favorite dancer!!!!!! Always!!! Love you!!!

8/11/2009 4:21 PM UTC

26. Izzi - wrote:

Hey guys! Jeanine congratulations! I am sooo excited that you won! You are amazing!I was with my friends and we were just SCREAMING! Evan, you are spectacular!I hope you keep dancing because you lit up that stage! You rock! Brandon, I…. I can’t discride you! I think you make dance look so easy(i know it is not as easy as it looks, I learned some of the dances off the show) Kayla, I truly thought you were going to win. I voted for you a ton! You are such a beautiful dancer!
    I am so excited about seeing you guys on tour! You all are wonderful dancers and I can’t wait until I am old enough to try out! Y’all are awsome
    Isabel,11
    P.S Do you write people back? I have always wanted to talk to you guys. Bye!

8/22/2009 1:39 PM UTC

27. Learn how to make money online for free - wrote:

Thanks for sharing your story, my blog is to share my story to make money on the network for free. You are welcome to read my story.

7/15/2010 6:28 PM UTC

28. Carmen - wrote:

What ever happened to Brandon? What has he been doing? Seems like he just dropped off the face of the earth. I was hoping to see him in the alums dancing on the season 7 shows. I was a fan!

4/19/2011 11:43 AM UTC